It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UAW strike looms, auto workers want 4-day, 32-hour workweek

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2023 @ 08:52 AM
link   

As UAW strike looms, auto workers want 4-day, 32-hour workweek, among other contract demands

United Auto Workers – the union that represents workers at the Big 3 automakers in Detroit – on Friday launched a historic strike over stalled contract negotiations. One of the changes the union wants to see is a four-day workweek, working 32 hours for 40 hours of pay.

"The labor movement once fought for a vision of work life in which everyone had 8 hours for work, 8 hours rest, and 8 hours recreation," he said. "Sadly, it feels like we've gone so far backwards that we have to fight just to have the 40-hour workweek back."

Advocating for shorter workweeks is not a new concept for auto workers. Congress amended federal labor laws in 1940, limiting the workweek to 40 hours, but nearly 15 years earlier, Ford Motors became one of the first companies to implement a 40-hour week.

"I don't consider [a 30-hour workweek] ambitious. I consider it almost a human rights issue," said [Shawn Fain, the possible next UAW president], adding that many workers' health has been impacted by the long hours, with some suffering injuries. "That's the reality of standing there on assembly lines working day after day, seven days a week, 10 hours a day, 12 hours a day."

link

Say what you will about the current relivence and corruption of workers unions; they have been instrumental in shaping the normative practices of work life throughout history.

Now tge UAW, one of the countries larger unions, is heading into important negotiations and are demanding 4 day, 32 hours, work weeks. If they succeed it could reshape how the rest of us see the work week whether or not we ourselves are in a union.

I currently work a 9/80 work schedule where I work a normal 80 hours in a two week period, but we work those 80 hours in 9 days rather than 10. We have a three day weekend every two week. This benefit is one of the best my company provides, it doesn't cost them anything and we get a regular three day week ends.

What the UAW is a step further where they would have that extra day off every day week and do not need to make up for it with longer days.

posted on Sep, 15 2023 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: dandandat2

How can a strike be looming when it is already going on?

Also at least two other threads about it.

Unions are overrated and well past there useful time. Everyone I know that belongs to one regrets joining.

posted on Sep, 15 2023 @ 09:06 AM
link   
You're too late.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2023 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge2

Unions are overrated and well past there useful time. Everyone I know that belongs to one regrets joining.

When I worked for the USPS, I was a member of the NALC union.
They were the most useless bunch of clowns I’ve ever seen.

posted on Sep, 15 2023 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I don't think most people have any issues with with the 32 hours, but getting 40 hours pay seems like a sticking point

posted on Sep, 15 2023 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge2

Retired 5 years now, but when I worked, I was a union member.

I now live comfortably (though not extravagantly) on just my union pension (Social Security will be added bonus when it kicks in in a few years). Pensions are also something the UAW is demanding.

An additional benefit brought to me by my union was/is a very good, and very affordable Healthcare insurance plan. Which will supplement my Medicare coverage, and includes both vision and dental plans.

Absolutely no regrets about joining a union from me, that's for sure!

posted on Sep, 15 2023 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
You're too late.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed

top topics

join