It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serpico (1973)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2023 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: fishy6

Thank you for the suggestions.

I've seen Psycho, 2001, Taxi Driver, Blade Runner, and Raising Arizona. I enjoyed those very much. It will be interesting watching some of the other suggestions from our community, and looking to see which story lines have been used in more modern movies.

edit on 14-1-2023 by dffrntkndfnml because: spacing

posted on Jan, 14 2023 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: dffrntkndfnml

My favourite film from the 1970's, and Caine's best.

posted on Jan, 14 2023 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

I liked the trailer, this is another film I have not heard of. I like the OG kind dynamic in movies, and enjoy hearing British accents. The guys are cool, but I love hearing the way ladies from around the world speak. I find it hot.

Thank you,

posted on Jan, 14 2023 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Ah! Nice to see some appreciation for some of the work done in the previous decades!

That time period saw many different approaches to movie making with a focus on the grandeur of the media itself as part of the story telling! New ideas, new technologies, and a different vision than corporate Hollywood saw the rise of many great movies!!

a reply to: fishy6

^^^^^
This list!! Nothing wrong with it!

I would add Rocky and Close Encounters of the Third Kind (duh, Star Wars, to be complete), as a couple of other game changers. And Midnight Cowboy!! Maybe the Exorcist and the Night of the Living Dead, because all of those images have been recycled through the industry as well and deserve some recognition!

The movies of the late 60s and all of the 70s set us up for things like Quentin Taratino and the other outliers like comic books of the Marvel universe kind!!

Glad that you have enjoyed a movie from a fresh perspective!!

PBS has a couple documentaries on the history of cinema and that would be a good resource to check out if this topic is interesting to you!!

posted on Jan, 15 2023 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: dffrntkndfnml

originally posted by: AOx6179
Watching movies was something that my dad and I did a lot together, my whole life up till he passed. But that was a thing him and I shared throughout my life growing up and getting old. You're thread hit home since it was such a cool thing dad I and shared. Lots of great movies, and hundreds came to mind, but figured ATS would like the suggestion as well. This has me thinking, and brought back a lot of memories, and really good ones, so thanks for an awesome OP and thread.

I feel like I am going to roll with it. My Dad loves to talk about politics, and I am interested too. It's a bit of a downer sometimes though because he looks back to how it was in the 60's and 70's as the good times. I wish he spoke with the younger generation or socialized on the internet. I know there are major challenges, but the young people I know give me hope for the future.

I like the movie idea too, because I can see if my older daughter wants to join us. She is really smart, and my Dad and her have had a lively debate or two over social issues. Enjoying an interesting movie together would be a good way to spend some quality time without getting fired up before dinner, lol.

I was actually wondering what dvds your dad did have and we could tell you what we liked. I keep a collection of dvds myself. And some vhs. Lol I still have an old dvd/vhs combo that works.

Enjoy that time. Sounds like an great idea, and from experience can lead to some great memories and movies along the way.

He has many Dvd's, I can not even guess. He keeps them in the basement, reminds me actually of all the Old National Geographic magazines he used to collect. He got rid of those, and now the shelves are lined with DVD's. He has vhs too.

The other couple of movies he showed me most recently were the finale of the Borne Identity, and 44 Minutes. Sometimes I wonder if he is screwing with me a little. I asked him after he read the box to me, "What year is this from?" He's like "What does that have to do with anything?"LOL I liked that movie but was disappointed in the ending. I was hoping he would have got the girl. I asked my Dad about that, he's like, she was going to kill him!LOL

Then he tried showing me the original Borne movie, but I guess I enjoy romance more. We only made it to the part where Mr. Borne was like hiding out with the lady at her ex place. I have no recollection of why we stopped watching it, I think I had to go somewhere or something.

He wanted to show me the movie 44 Minutes. I asked him what that was about. He told me corruption? I still do not understand why he told me that. He described the movie as being from 1996 as well. So the movie was about two guys who went about robbing a bank in Los Angeles with like 10000 rounds of ammo, ak's and other guns.

They outgunned the poor police force, and it was crazy. I remember hearing about this back when it happened in 1997. I enjoyed the movie, but it was what I consider an action movie. I get the impression my Dad likes movies about people named Frank.

He insisted that I watch the extras but it was mostly insights into the special effects, however I enjoyed hearing what the actors who played the villains had to say. The only corruption that came to mind was the way one of the actors described the bank robber he played. I guess it was a background thing?

My Dad didn't really say much about that movie, other then it was a miracle more people didn't get killed. He told me that they were really lucky, but I told him people just prayed really hard. He just looked at me.

He has a DVD/VHS combo and a Samsung Blu ray player hooked up to his 4k lcd tv, lol. I am laughing because he got like a top of the line hdmi cable to hook up his equipment and I don't even know if he needs one like that. The cable cost more then that Blu ray player I got him for Christmas that year.

He asks me about vhs picture quality when he watches them on his tv too, it is so cute! 1080p is fine for me, I don't see all that clearly on the best of days, because I wear my contact lens probably longer then I should. He is rather quirky, but I take after him so it makes me feel for my girls, lol.

One more again, don't be afraid of some black and whites. Really good movies back then, with great story lines. I watch a bunch of those still.

I like black and white movies too. My Dad has shown me the older show "The Fugitive", and likes to watch old shows on a local broadcaster called MeTV. We last watched an episode of "The Rifleman" together. There's more shows or movies I cannot remember at the moment. He told me he wanted to me to watch some Columbo? with him that's if he doesn't want to show me more of the Borne movies.

You're pops does sound pretty cool.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join