It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

serious answers to a snowy question.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2022 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: StarsInDust
a reply to: crayzeed

I have a 2011 hybrid Chevrolet electric Volt. It works great in the weather. No problems. Of course if someone needs to travel very far, the 2011 Volt is not a great solution on electricity, but it will automatically switch to gas when the electrical power runs out.

I only need to drive short distances, and I have solar, so I pretty much drive for free.

How much was the vehicle you purchased? Or did you get that free? But yeah, if you're only doing city driving, less than 40/50 miles round trip I can see using an EV. Well except for all the slave labor being used to mine the materials to make the batteries, and the damage to the earth in depleting it's natural resources by the potential billions of tons of earth to make the batteries, and of course the electricity that is used for charging the vehicle when electricity is at a premium. Yeah, it's a great idea. But that's cool you get to travel for basically free. And good on you for having solar. I wish I could afford it.

posted on Dec, 28 2022 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

I don't think that works for some of them. The Aptera is the first one I am somewhat considering possibly getting. It has to be left in the sun to charge with it's built in solar panels.

Still working out the production model details.
edit on 12 28 2022 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2022 @ 09:47 PM
link   
People around here put their electric vehicles away for the winter. It is hard on them and if you let the charge get too low in the battery, it hurts the battery....under half charge is considered low in the winter here.

Hybrids are running around though, but some people I know have to still plug them in because on short trips they do not adequately charge. My son in law is going to turn his toyota hybrid into one he can plug in, right now it only charges from the motor and it is not as good as it should be. It is all wheel drive, but the two backs are electric and the front is run by the engine I think he told me. No four wheel drive if the battery goes down. We live in the U.P of MI, that is a hybrid yooper car.

posted on Dec, 28 2022 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkwingduck
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe
It seems to me that heat would be very battery intensive, and be a major power draw.

No worries there. I hear they're working out a way to extract electricity from rainbow colored unicorn poop!

It's gonna be a wonderful world!

:
edit on 2022 12 28 by incoserv because: typo.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join