It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Child, 3, survives 7 story fall. (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
A three year old child fell seven stories when it managed to climb out the window, last night in Toronto. The child survived the whole ordeal. Amazingly, the toddler fell on a patch of wet grass, about a metre away from a concrete patch. A painter at the building was the first to aid and gave CPR to the child who had diffculty breathing. The child is at Sick Kids Hospital at the moment getting treatment. There had been complaints to the management about window screens and window locks being easily removed earlier this month.

www.canoe.ca
A 3-YEAR-OLD girl survived an amazing eight-storey fall from the bedroom window of a North York apartment building yesterday. The toddler was rushed to Sick Kids hospital after dropping 20 metres onto a grassy patch at the back of 3390 Keele St., just north of Sheppard Ave. in the Downsview area.

The toddler, wearing short pants and a T-shirt, had cuts on her feet and was gasping for air as her caregiver screamed for help, witnesses said.

"Forty people were standing there, watching and doing nothing," he said. He began first aid while they waited.

"I pinched her nose and blew about six times and she started responding. I just couldn't believe that nobody did anything to help her."

Toronto Police Sgt. Robert Johnson described the girl's survival as "amazing. We don't know how she fell or why she fell, but it looks like it's an accident at this point."

Several tenants said window screens and safety latches can be easily removed. One resident told The Sun he recently complained to the building's property manager about children throwing toys from the family's apartment.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Is this a miracle or what? I am not even sure a cat would survive this kind of fall, let alone a three year old. My heart goes out to this child and the parents. I hope the toddler recovers.

The one thing that gets to me though is the ignorance on the managements part. Tenants make complaints about window safety and then do nothing about it. This is just ridiculous. I really hope they install some kind of child proof safety locks

[edit on 6-4-2005 by LuDaCrIs]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Right away people want to blame the apartment managers. Why? Are the parents that dumb they do not know how to fix a loose screen?

Do not blame the management; blame the parents for not watching the children. They make many safety latches to avoid just this sort of thing it is not uncommon for children to open a kitchen sink cabinet. What happens if the kid gets in under the sink and posions theirself? You can't blame that on the management.

Now it would be a different story if you were talking about a faulty railing or a door that does not lock.

[edit on 4/6/2005 by shots]

[edit on 4/6/2005 by shots]

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Agreed shots. I have an 18 month old daughter, and while I tend to let her make her own mistakes and learn from them (like, do not pick up the cat by the ears...it WILL scratch you....she will learn one day
), I never let her out of my sight. If you where watching your sprog, then they would not have fallen. Simple.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 05:39 PM
link   
While the complaints about the managements response time to maintenance requests may be valid, there's no excuse for blaming the management straight out.

If you're aware of a problem with the windows or locks you watch your child until they are fixed. Plain and simple.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   

While the complaints about the managements response time to maintenance requests may be valid, there's no excuse for blaming the management straight out.

If you're aware of a problem with the windows or locks you watch your child until they are fixed. Plain and simple.

Agreed, who even knows if and when the complaints were filed? All we have seen is what the media wrote on the story. It is real easy to blame the management, however, that is not the point. It is utimately the parents responsibility for protecting their child.

top topics

join