It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Semi-Aquatic 'Sea Wolves' in Canadian Pacific

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 11:49 AM
link   
blog.therainforestsite.greatergood.com...

Off the Pacific coast of British Columbia lives a group of wolves that have been dubbed “sea wolves” because of their extremely rare adaptation of swimming between the small coastal islands and preferring to hunt for fish and other seafood.
In order to catch their seafood, however, these wolves need to be incredibly proficient swimmers; and that is exactly how they have adapted. They can swim for miles at a time, their longest swim being recorded at more than seven miles.

I had no idea this puppies existed.
I think we've all heard about the Marine Iguanas; now we have Marine Wolves.
makes sense. hunters follow the food. In that part of the world, the food is in the oceans.

one of my neighbors had a black Lab that could go underwater for surprising depths and times. I guess dogs have an aquatic streak. comes in handy when you're a generalist.

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero
Wonder how often they get taken by killer whales? They know whales will take moose swimming from island to island.

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Wonder how often they get taken by killer whales? They know whales will take moose swimming from island to island.

I suspect they stick to shallow / coastal waters

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 01:03 PM
link   

There was a documentary about these awesome wolves a while back.

If I find it I'll post it.

Cool wolves.

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 01:04 PM
link   
That is a pretty cool life for wolves except for the threat of sharks.
I wonder what their senses are like underwater-maybe they can still smell threats/food under the water.

Love those diving Iguanas-makes them look even more dinosaur like somehow.
Have you seen the island of swimming pigs?

They are not complaining.

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 01:13 PM
link   
A great article and interesting read.
But, this isn't the first time something like this has happened...

Britannica - Pakicetus

The body mass of Pakicetus was estimated at 45 kg (100 pounds), roughly the size of a wolf or large dog. The dentition of the animal indicates that it had a diet primarily of fish; however, its skeleton and skull suggest that it spent a considerable amount of time on land.

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I was always under the impression Dolphin's evolved from wolf like creatures

The carousel of life, just keeps spinning.

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 02:11 PM
link   

That's a great question. The cougars here swim well too. Not suggesting that they'd eat the wolves just that that's a lot of teeth swimming around out there which is why I only swim here once a year, on the hottest day. Which is also when there is safety in numbers... lots of other delicious people for them to choose from. Fortunately, the sharks here are basking sharks which are some of the gentlest in the world and are also a favourite food of some whale pods. Their skin is so like sandpaper that some of the elderly whales teeth get quite worn from it.

Amazing adaptation to water these wolves. It reminds me of polar bears and swamp rabbits. Life making the most of the environment.

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: MykeNukem

Island of the sea wolves, on Netflix?

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Just watched a Netflix documentary on this called "Sea Wolves"; incredibly some of these wolves swim 400+ meters out to see in sketchy tidal waters!

Interestingly enough, in the documentary there were 2 adult females who co-parented one of the adult females pups as well.

Hopefully the filmmakers weren't just creating some narrative, I like to think it was all legit and no agenda involved.

Anyway, it was only 3 episodes and we enjoyed it

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero

I suspect they stick to shallow / coastal waters

That’s what I would think…

But I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re chasing waterfalls. Probably best they stick to rivers and lakes that they’re used to. I know they’ll have it their way or nothing at all. But I think they’re moving to fast.

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

Bingo, yes!

That's the one.

Here's the trailer:

edit on 11/11/2022 by MykeNukem because: eh?

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Fascinating! Your link says the shoreline wolves are genetically different but only elaborates on the difference in size compared to other wolves.

Adaptation to aquatic environment could include more waterproof fur, nostrils and eyes being more resilient to salt and other irritants, greater lung capacity, an extra layer of fat and webbed feet.

Hunting for small prey; this would change how the wolves hunt. No need for an absolute alpha and leutenants to co-ordinate and direct. Does this mean the pack has more members with alpha genes? Do all the wolves get to mate? And how do they communicate in the water?

Anyone know of any research papers about this?

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

Watching it now. So beautiful and the abundance of wild life. Really enjoying watching it.

posted on Nov, 11 2022 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

haha...awesome..I've been on that Island.
One of the pigs was rooting around my kayak with his snout.
The next day ringworm appeared on my leg.

top topics

join