It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US To Require Passports for Canadian Travel by 2007 (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
By 2007, Canadians wishing to come into America must show a passport, and by 2008 Americans will need them when returning. Biometric identifiers will be required for Canadians wishing to enter after December 31st, 2006. The announcement is part of a larger plan for US Security, starting in the Caribbean, then Mexico, and finally coming to Canada. The Canadians are reconsidering their rules, and are considering requiring passports for entry by Americans.

www.cbc.ca
"Our system has really always worked on the basis of reciprocity," McLellan said outside the House of Commons.

"There's no point in either of us going off in a direction without working together to determine how best we can facilitate the flow – a free flow – and movement of low-risk individuals."

The United States is also putting pressure on European countries to speed up introduction of new high-security passports containing a computer chip with a digital photograph.

If the new European Union passports are not in use by the end of October, the United States says it might remove the EU's visa-waiver status. Some analysts have said that could mean a loss of more than $10 billion US to the U.S. travel industry.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

That it took them so long to start requiring a system for Canada that is still far more lax than the rest of the world is absurd. Our border with Canada is HUGE, and we can cross pretty much freely, with ony a drivers liscence. I'm surprised there hasn't already been a catastrophe involving people coming down through Canada.

Still, better go an buy those meds quick, huh?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
This has more benefit than not... if the new passports can't be printed by anyone whose expertise is counterfeiting.... Although... I have to admit I don't like the chip idea, it does seem the only way the passports can't be faked.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Erm, my understanding is that this will also affect those Americans that go into and out of Canada.

Now, if only, we could get them to do this all along the southern US border areas.

seekerof

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Yes, this should be active again. I hope it is soon.

top topics

join