It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush presenting Medal of Honor for Iraq war valor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 07:01 AM
link   

WASHINGTON - Outnumbered and exposed, Army Sgt. 1st Class Paul Ray Smith stayed at his gun, beating back an advancing Iraqi force until a bullet took his life.

Smith is credited with protecting the lives of scores of lightly armed American soldiers who were beyond his position in the battle, on April 4, 2003, near the gates of Baghdad International Airport.

On Monday, exactly two years after Smith's death, President Bush [related, bio] is awarding Smith the Medal of Honor, the nation's highest award for valor. His widow, Birgit, decided that the couple's 11-year-old son, David, will accept the medal on his father's behalf.

news.bostonherald.com...

A true American hero, so few are recognized these days. God bless.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
A true American hero, so few are recognized these days. God bless.

There are surely more stories about men, doing heroistic things, but gettin' no medal. A medal don't make the life of the widdow better.

There are stories we've never learn, especionally stories about the men, who died on the other side.

Rest in peace, to ALL soldiers who died in this, and in past wars.

[edit on 5-4-2005 by bulgarian]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Yes they are true heroes,

but remember: medals can be tools to appease.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The Bush administration cannot be trusted in regard of recognizing achievement, since they set a very low bar giving Medal of Freedoms to their cronies, regardless of how much of a failure they have been. Now, when people get medals from Bush, people won't know whether they deserve it, or it's just another political ploy.

I'm not saying the soldier is not a hero, but his service is belittled by the Bush administration's recognition.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Gimme a break, in 1992 when the Somalia incident happened, a LOT of those soldiers were resenting Clinton and his administration because technically the blood of that whole incident was on their hands.

What cannot be trusted are the Air Force brass considering they gave one guy, a UAV PILOT, the Air Force equivalent to a Silver Star (second to the MOH) for piloting his UAV in some way (!?!?!?!?!?!).

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
That Medal of Honor was not some political ploy the Srgt. earned it. And I don't think the presided is the one that makes the decision on who gets MOH‘s, but I'm not sure.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
No, the events are investigated heavily before the MOH is awarded, remeber that the full name of the medal is the congressional medal of honor, therby meaning that the congress awards it, also meaning that representatives of the entire united states agree that what this man did in defense of his country warrants the highest award and honor.

Bush has nothing to do with this, I am sure he was hoping that someone would earn this medal, but with less than a 1000 given out in all wars fought by the U.Ss, they don't just hand these out. The man deserved it, and it is a disservice to imply otherwise.

I do agree with someones statement though that the medal doesn't mean that there are incidets we never hear of from both sides that would warrant such an award and that the dead on both sides should be honored. But I don't think the U.S. congress is ready to award Iraqi insurgents for their bravery.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
I don't think the presided is the one that makes the decision on who gets MOH‘s, but I'm not sure.

The president has the final decision, but first everyone in his/hers chain of command must approve before it goes to next person for approval.

Who can approve

remeber that the full name of the medal is the congressional medal of honor, therby meaning that the congress awards it, also meaning that representatives of the entire united states agree that what this man did in defense of his country warrants the highest award and honor

Congress does not approve who receives it. This is a common misconception. The presidnt has the final word. Congress just voted that the medal be authorized whenever it first came out in 1862.

MOH and who approves it

quote from website

Although all Medals of Honor are sometimes called by the name "Congressional Medal of Honor," standard military practice is to refer to them simply as the "Medal of Honor"

Most Medals of Honor have been awarded by the chain of command. However, Congress has occasionally bypassed this process, passing special bills that the President subsequently signs into law, mandating an award of the Medal of Honor to a specific soldier or soldiers. This is the origin of the "Congressional Medal of Honor" term

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:18 AM
link   
"The Medal of Honor is the highest award for valor in action against an enemy force which can be bestowed upon an individual serving in the Armed Services of the United States. Generally presented to its recipient by the President of the United States of America in the name of Congress, it is often called the Congressional Medal of Honor."

www.cmohs.org...

Its awarded by Congress.......................presented by the Prez

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I applaud, and respect this man. May he rest in peace. Nothing can be done to bring him back, however a posthumus medal serves to not only honor the man, but also gives the family solice over their loss. The 11 year old son will remember Daddy as a hero.
How many of us, would have done what this man did? Although I served, I never was in actual battle. This man is a hero. Auddie Murphy would be proud.

new topics

top topics

join