It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poor Women Cooking Family Meals In India Melt The Icecaps

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 12:28 AM
link   
New study shows that poor women in India are responsible for the icecaps melting. They are polluting the same as industrialised countries.

IOL: Home fires in India help to melt Arctic icecap half a world away ...

Poor women cooking family meals in India are helping to melt the Arctic icecap

The Nasa scientists were amazed to find that only one-third of the soot reaching the ice came from the nearby industrialised countries of Europe, and North America and the former Soviet Union.

Even before this discovery, the cooking fires of the poor were known to be one of the world's gravest environmental hazards. A cocktail of poisonous chemicals swirling in the smoke from dung or wood fires kills 2.2 million people a year - mainly women cooking on them and their children.

Now there´s no reason to loose sleep over a little pollution. Icecaps melt, sealevel rising, a hurricane and tornado here and there, we know who to put the blame on...

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   
gimme a break , its not by burning few cow dungs that the climate is changing.. have a look in the SUV wonderland..

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by kalki
gimme a break , its not by burning few cow dungs that the climate is changing.. have a look in the SUV wonderland..

Are you aware how much methane and other gasses cows give out? A LOT MORE THEN SUVS (Put together). There a lot more cows then SUV's and if you dont believe me about the gas thing find a local cow farm and try to light one of their many farts on fire. BE SURE NOT TO STAND DIRECTLY BEHIND THEM CAUSE IT WILL BE LIKE A BLOW TORCH.

Later

P.S. Im being serious.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I wonder what our environment will look like when there are no more gas cars, just electric cars. I'd like to see how the skies clear up and how breathing in the city ends up like breathing in the country.

That will be the day.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lord Altmis
I wonder what our environment will look like when there are no more gas cars, just electric cars. I'd like to see how the skies clear up and how breathing in the city ends up like breathing in the country.

That will be the day.

I second that! I remember nothing was more enjoyable then a drive through the country on the way to vacation.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   

That will be the day.

Yeah, cause electricity comes from magic...

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
This is why India and China are not hit has hard as the US When it comes to the Kyoto accord.
Are you going to go after the SUV loving polluter or the Mom cooking food polluter?
Industrial pollution is big in all 3 of these countries. But when it comes down to the people themselves this is the difference.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   

gimme a break

I agree, even if this is true, you think they should stop cooking.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I've seen the pollution in India... it's horrible, a building just across the street in New Delhi will be hazy. Just 20ft in front of you and things start to get grey.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   

That will be the day.

just remember if they were to start makeing only pure electric cars tomorrow tha gas cars will still be arround untill about 2027, as only the rich can afford new cars. the rest of us buy old cars that are affordable.

just look back at the medievil times where cities and towns had thick smoke everywhere, black snow and dung in the streets. yup fires are less poluteing than cars
especialy when everyone had to have a fire for cooking and heat. personaly i'll take liveing with modern polution thanks.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by AndrewTB

Are you aware how much methane and other gasses cows give out? A LOT MORE THEN SUVS (Put together). There a lot more cows then SUV's and if you dont believe me about the gas thing find a local cow farm and try to light one of their many farts on fire. BE SURE NOT TO STAND DIRECTLY BEHIND THEM CAUSE IT WILL BE LIKE A BLOW TORCH.
Later

P.S. Im being serious.

look i wasn't only talkin about SUVs, i mean everybody knows US is one of the most polluting industrialised country , and your president doesn't seem to understand that there's some CASH to make with green motors.. i just switched to biodiesel myself.

p.s. im friggin serious too

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Im not joking, If they are melting ice caps, its in the cycle, the plan whatever you want to call it.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   

look i wasn't only talkin about SUVs, i mean everybody knows US is one of the most polluting industrialised country , and your president doesn't seem to understand that there's some CASH to make with green motors.. i just switched to biodiesel myself.

p.s. im friggin serious too

The US will be nothing compared to the threat China and other growing countries will pose in the future. The US doesnt have as much cash as everyone thinks it does. For the short term Gas engines will be just fine.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   
No ?

Rank Country Number of billionaires

1 United States 269
2 Japan 29
3 Germany 28

Rank Country GDP - per capita

1 Luxembourg $ 55,100
2 Norway $ 37,800
3 United States $ 37,800

Rank Country Population

1 China 1,298,847,624
2 India 1,065,070,607
3 United States 293,027,571

always in the top 3 so far..

Source: CIA World Factbook

a gift for you , to watch in your SUV's plasma screen

gnn.tv...

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Not exactly 'news'.

It's old information. The single largest cause of deforestation worldwide, with over 50% of all wood consumed globally, is fuelwood gathering for cooking and heating. Has been for several decades.

posted on Apr, 16 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Oh, Jimminy Crickets let them cook up a storm. Who cares? They must eat, and besides, their end isnt going to come from the melted icecaps, not if the powers that be all over the world can help it. It'll be much more sinister than that.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   

That will be the day.

Where do you think the electricity generated for your electric automobile (as well as your house, where you work, etc.) comes from? Power plants that primarily burn fossil fuels. (Unless it's nuclear, or in rare cases, hydroelectric.) Switching to electric cars will only change where the pollution comes from, not reduce or eliminate it.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Oh, Jimminy Crickets let them cook up a storm. Who cares? They must eat, and besides, their end isnt going to come from the melted icecaps, not if the powers that be all over the world can help it. It'll be much more sinister than that.

I sort of agree, but then again. Think of it this way. A city as populated as LA, no larger, full of homeless people, cooking in the streets. Now multiply that by a land mass the size of India.

That's alot of smokestacks.

Or think of it this way. Everyone in America burning their leaves. CONSTANTLY.
Man, that's messed up.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndrewTB

Later

P.S. Im being serious.

the cooking fires of the poor were known to be one of the world's gravest environmental hazards. A cocktail of poisonous chemicals swirling in the smoke from dung or wood fires kills 2.2 million people a year - mainly women cooking on them and their children.

SUVs were an example.. do you know how much cars fueling with (not green) fossil fuels daily? Enough to kill innocent people to have some in a crave and pollute with the mil equip. Got a serious link about the environmental impacts? I couldn't read the article coz i got no credit card. Have you ever heard about the biomethanation of cow dungs? In most of rural villages around the world cow dung is the most important fuel source, not the wood. No doubt someone could bomb the Taj Mahal with cow dungs. What shocked me the most while i was there was more the plastic bags burnin' .. methane? ok in the soil and water but burnt?

Should we stop the cows farting? Or maybe it's the plastic bags or the GM food they're eating?? If i don't see any scientific links posted here , i'll steal some dungs in a farm outside the city and fuel up with this fantastic biogas
Seriously i could'nt read the whole article
neither references.

BTW #t don't smell when burn't or dried.. i saw some beautiful little houses made of these. Stop bugging the poor women, they just wanna cook DIY for their hungry families. The World Gov can't make a penny out of it as cows are free!

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Should we stop the cows farting?

No, we should kill them and eat them, something the Indians haven't learned how to do as of yet.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join