It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush-meat trade breeds new HIV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
The HIV virus has jumped from primates to people on at least seven separate occasions in recent history, not twice as is commonly thought.

And people in Cameroon are showing up with symptoms of HIV, but are testing negative for both the virus and its primate equivalent SIV, the virus from which HIV is thought to have evolved. That suggests that new strains of an HIV-like virus are circulating in wild animals and infecting people who eat them, sparking fears that such strains could fuel an already disastrous global HIV pandemic.

The warnings come from experts who gathered this week for the annual meeting of the Society for Conservation Biology at Columbia University, New York. They say that deforestation and the trade in bush meat are creating the ideal conditions for new diseases to emerge, as people have ever closer contact with exotic animals that harbour novel pathogens."

www.newscientist.com...

I haven't really thought about a world market for Chimp meat. Thats what they say mean by bush-meat. There begs a big question here. Were all the chimps at "stanleyville" destroyed or turned loose?

Has HIV been placed into the 'wild" by released captive chimps and then gotten back into humans from "bush-meat"?

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DrHoracid

I don't have the answer offhand; been going through the health archives and noted this -- over two years old, no responses, here's where I like to bring up what I can though:

Much like the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) responsible for causing AIDS, the E. Coli 0157:H7 bacterium is a newly emerged pathogen whose spread has been facilitated by recent social and technological changes. E. Coli 0157:H7 was first isolated in 1982; HIV was discovered in the following year. People who are infected with HIV can appear healthy for years, while cattle infected with E. Coli 0157:H7 show few signs of illness. E. Coli 0157:H7
was most likely responsible for some human illnesses thirty or forty years ago. But the rise of huge feedlots, slaughterhouses, and hamburger grinders seems to have provided the means for this pathogen to become widely dispersed in the nation's food supply. American meat production has never before been so centralized; thirteen large packinghouses now slaughter most of the beef consumed in the United States. The meat-packing system that arose to supply the nation's fast food chains---an industry molded to serve their needs, to provide massive amounts of uniform ground beef so that all of McDonald's hamburgers would taste the same---has proved to be an extremely efficient system for spreading disease. 2

(Schlosser, Eric; Fast Food Nation)

[edit on 20-11-2007 by anhinga]

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
one more reason farmer bob shouldnt have his sheep

ok ok im sorry for that, but hey you never know how this stuff gets started. hopefully it hasnt spread to the wild mallard in south carolina as the 21st is opening day and i plan to be out there with my dog and 12ga. quack quack, bang!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DaleGribble

I could give you a couple links of how it IS in the livestock; over 75 million Americans get food poisoned a year and about 300-400 children a year die. You choose to eat red meat, you choose to get colon/liver cancer. Simple as that w/ the majority of genetic results being released. It's known to never be fully digested and you don't have true fangs. Thought the people of ATS were a bit more philosophical about fire, yeah man, 'click click bang bang. Death to the accused.' I will say 'poor birds' -- we need them for the biosphere and I ain't wacked out new age here -- bird populations are at record lows, so while you and Cheney are a shootin' -- the Earth gets all the more ruined. Remember skeet shooting? That's not good enough?

[edit on 20-11-2007 by anhinga]

posted on Nov, 20 2007 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by anhinga

i dont think that eating clay peigons is verry good for the digestive tract either. im not sure where you get your facts about bird populations at. my sources tell me they are on an incline hince the reason they raised the limits of most ducks this year.

www.ducks.org...
thats my source by the way. and before you say its not relyable ill let you in on a secret the president is a liberal democrat. i know him personaly i worked for him for a few years.

top topics

join