It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perseverance Rover Captures Puff, Whir, Zap Sounds from Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2022 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Not sounds from Aliens but the activities of Perseverance and its pet helicopter , NASA have put together this 1.5 minute video of the sounds made by the operations of our machinery on Mars.
The recordings have allowed NASA to deduce that sound travels slower on Mars than it does here on Earth and allow us to hear the racket we are making on a largely quiet alien planet.
Typical Humans.

Listen closely to new sounds from Mars recorded by NASA’s Perseverance Mars rover, including puffs and pings from a rover tool, light Martian wind, the whirring of the agency's Ingenuity Mars Helicopter, and laser zaps. Most of the sounds – best heard through headphones with the sound up – were recorded using the microphone belonging to Perseverance’s SuperCam instrument, mounted on the head of the rover’s mast. Other sounds, including the puffs and pings from the rover’s Gaseous Dust Removal Tool, or gDRT, blowing shavings off rock faces, were recorded by another microphone mounted on the chassis of the rover.

A new study based on recordings made by the rover reveals that the speed of sound is slower on the Red Planet than on Earth and that, mostly, a deep silence prevails in the much thinner atmosphere

Meanwhile Mars Helicopter has taken its 23rd flight and has now clocked up a Flight time of 42 minutes,40 seconds , not bad for a mission that was supposed to last 5 flights.

posted on Apr, 2 2022 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Love this stuff

Any vids from the copter released I can't find any on the

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Apr, 2 2022 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

No video of this flight as far as I'm aware but there's some onboard (@ .32) in this video.

posted on Apr, 2 2022 @ 11:38 AM
link   
That is so cool, thanks for the link.

but certainly, the helicopter/drone has a high res camera?

23 flights and no high res videos?
Doesn't that make you wonder why no videos are released to the public? Certainly, they have some by now.

or is it just not a priority?

I want to see the most recognizable landmarks Valles Marineris and Olympus Mons, Perseverance is so far away perhaps it was sent there because it was where they sent Beagle 2 which was lost way back in 2003.

Regardless I would really like to see a Valles Marineris fly through
edit on 2-4-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2022 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Its original mission plan was for 5 flights , I doubt it was a priority as when it was built they didn't know if it would fly.

Others will follow.

posted on Apr, 2 2022 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Its original mission plan was for 5 flights , I doubt it was a priority as when it was built they didn't know if it would fly.

Others will follow.

Ummm…there aren’t going to be any follow up missions…Ingenuity was the first…and last…helicopter that’ll be sent to Mars.

YouSir

new topics

top topics

join