It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Folding Space? Sounds difficult

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
i remember hearing at some point that the premise behind star trek "warp travel" was actually theoretically possible,
it was referred to as the moving of space around the ship, instead of the ship through space

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Cool factoid: flat space (like a piece of paper) when bent or crumpled still has zero curvature. Curvature as defined in relativity is intrinsic to space-time, it does not take into account any hidden space dimensions. So it may be theoretically possible to "jump" between naturally intersecting areas of the universe. This may explain why UFO sightings increase enormously some years.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miramafia
What I want to know is how do you fold the paper?

There is no need to fold anything if it is already folded. Jumping to the next fold could be a shortcut to a part of the universe millions of light years away.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
i think that you could create a fold in spacetime by spinning something with the mass of a large planet really fast, it would warp gravity around it and instead of actually folding spacetime, it would spin it and bend it to more of a bundle or a bunch of folds than just one, but, you cant realy cary something around with the mass of a large planet, even if its been compressed to tennis ball size, not even is space, since it would already have a gravitational feild and be bending space time so you would get other asteroids and planets flying toward you

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Folding space is no problem. I do it everyday. You should see me step into my briefs.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Perhaps the trick will eventually be to find an easier dimension to travel through than the three or four we're most familiar with. That might not require as much power as trying to warp normal spacetime.

On a quantum level, stuff zips in and out of normal space all the time, and once you're outside normal space, time is not a factor. You can instantaneously go from here to the edge of the universe. Maybe we'll figure out some way to take advantage of the permeability of spacetime so that instead of having to bend it, we can just slip through it "sideways."

There may be a consciousness component in that, since reality and virtuality are determined by observation and a collapse of the quantum wave function. So that we basically "think" our way to another place, and we'll go there. Somehow.

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I think I read this somewhere but they stated that the 11th dimension is presumed to have all space at 1 point?
if so then you wouldn't have to fold space to get from point a to point b.
If this is right then now the question should be "how do i open and pass throught this 11th dimension?"

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
I understand the theory of it...but would one achieve such a thing? How do "fold" something that is not an animate object......something one can not grasp such as space?

Ah...but space may actually be a "fabric" of sorts.

Space may be an actual "thing" rather than "nothing". Some physicists think that space-time is "emergent", meaning it is made up of something else. "Space" may not be the fundamental backdrop of the universe.

Another way to look at it is to say that space is not simply the empty place the universe occupies (i.e., space is not simply an place in which the universe exists), but rather the universe AND space AND time all exist together in a deeper, yet undiscovered/unseen reality.

There may be a "particle" of sorts that is a "particle of empty space" that space is made of. I'm not talking about things floating around in the near-vacuum of space -- I mean the fabric of space itself.

This 3D fabric that we call "space" may exist inside a higher-dimensional reality.

[edit on 12/24/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Dec, 24 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
I understand the theory of it...but would one achieve such a thing? How do "fold" something that is not an animate object......something one can not grasp such as space?

You can't.

Its all hypothetical gibberish based on a flawed derivation of Einstein's equations.

You can thank a man named Hilbert for putting all of cosmology on a wild goose chase for the past century.

The fundamental underlying physics has been conclusively proven to be garbage, but there's so much money, time and effort invested that the statists refuse to accept they are wrong.

Karl Schwarzschild's original solution leaves no room for black holes. You can find the original work in English here.

More reading here:
www.sjcrothers.plasmaresources.com...

Space does not bend, black holes are not possible, wormholes don't exist, etc.. etc.. - on a side note though, if Van Flandern is right, faster than light travel is possible.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Maggot Minion

You are correct about this. See the 2-part video below for more information about dimensions past the 3rd.

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miramafia
Over the years Ive heard the phrase "folding space" or "space fold drive" as a means of interstellar travel, on the show 'Macross' or 'Robotech' (depending on where you live) they use space fold to zip around taking on 50ft aliens, Ive even seen it mentioned on this sight a couple of times but what I don't quite understand is how the hell does it work? I don't get the physics of it could someone please explain in laymans terms? Please

Have you been or ever watched Event Horizon?

[edit on 12/26/2009 by altered_states]

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by sardion2000

Since learning the concept from an episode on Stargate SG1, I found the concept rather intriging with the main question on how to induce the folding. Working with rotational energy weaponry designs I came across a method involving Kepplars second law of planetary motion to create a design I can describe no more accurately than "folding space".

If you think of a full circle (not flat) with a point A and B, it then becomes possible to take a whack out of that circle either almost instantaneously or over an extended period of time (rotation).

Perhaps if you were to think of space this way (circular) then a lot of your problems solving related theories might change some....

As folding space involves a rapid change in acceleration of the object over a given period of time, its use to me as a weaponry merely serves as an extreme velocity inducer. Surely, one of you might be able to put this concept to better use. (hopefully).

It is not by accident that things happen in a circular way, and surely time must be circular and not linear? Everything in the Universe revolves around something larger it seems.

I have often wondered why no one has utilized the rotation of the earth as well as gravity for clean renewable energy generation. Once could double output of power in specific instances. Pumped storage hydro.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by aitm814

If you think of sound it is exists at all frequencies, but we are only able to hear part of that spectrum. It is possible to call sound into existance then, by merely adjusting the frequency. You can make it fade in, and then fade out. I suppose the same could be said for the light spectrum as well....

So, if you make the molecules in your body change frequencies theoretically either something good or bad is bound to occur. Would you find yourself shifting into another dimension withsimilar matched frequencies? If dimensions all exist in one place at all times such a thing might be possible? Or something simpler occur, like getting visions of the future or something. Altered states of consciousness. Happens all the time to meLOL...

Gobblety gook perhaps, but throwing it out there.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
It's all a hypothetical false theoretical proposition to explain what we yet cannot demonstrate in repeatable experimentation, in math or actual laboratory demonstrations. So we have doubt, that lets the Sci Fi mind run wild.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join