It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reference to adware/spam site on ATS. Why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2022 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Dear new site owner(s)/Mods,

ATS is referencing the site z.moatads.com in the source code. This is a known provider of adware/spam ads. Are you aware? Can it be changed? Perhaps this is why some of us have been reporting connection problems for months, perhaps not.

Also I notice that ssl.google-analytics.com is being used. This is not a google site, I believe. And besides, we only get a single ad, seems a shame to continuously load it each page when ads are not shown. Please let someone look at this seriously. Thank you.

For reference: This site explains why moatads.com is bad.
edit on 17/1/22 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Jan, 17 2022 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver
Dear new site owner(s)/Mods,

ATS is referencing the site z.moatads.com in the source code. This is a known provider of adware/spam ads. Are you aware? Can it be changed? Perhaps this is why some of us have been reporting connection problems for months, perhaps not.

Also I notice that ssl.google-analytics.com is being used. This is not a google site, I believe. And besides, we only get a single ad, seems a shame to continuously load it each page when ads are not shown. Please let someone look at this seriously. Thank you.

For reference: This site explains why moatads.com is bad.

I'm not staff, and not interested in researching this, but VERY glad you did, Thank you Light Speed!

posted on Jan, 17 2022 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I'm equally appreciative.
Thank You!!

posted on Jan, 17 2022 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Just to check in, I am not code knowledgeable, but this link will be forwarded to the new Owners.

posted on Jan, 17 2022 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Yeah thanks. And thanks for reminding me to click an ad (the ad?) from time to time for some of that click-through for our hangout.

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Found out why iOS users are having problems. There was a recent update making Safari more secure. It's an easy fix, but it's a fix that must be coded for.

posted on Jan, 29 2022 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver
Also I notice that ssl.google-analytics.com is being used. This is not a google site, I believe.

It would be great to get the connection issues on mobile sorted. It's pretty frustrating. A few days ago it seemed to be working quite well, but yesterday or so it went back to being wonky.

Other than that, if you try and to go google-analytics.com it redirects you to Analytics Tools & Solutions for Your Business - Google Analytics. So that one is probably legit.

posted on Jan, 31 2022 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

Thanks for your info. I was unsure about the analytics stuff but I use an adblocker that is only disabled when viewing ATS. It times out here, even when disabled. Seeing as how the site is now under new ownership and ads have been pretty much abandoned due to not bringing in enough revenue it would seem reasonable to me to disable any google interaction, but I am just a user.

With regard to connection issues, it is something I have been noticing for some years, before the owner switch. Like you, it was working okayish a few days ago but is now back to the usual business of timing out, connection errors and no avatars or pictures being displayed. The host files.topsecret.com does not respond, it seems. The browser keeps trying for a while and then just gives up. I am on PC but the same will be true for all devices. It's a shame that there is no communication about work being done on this but I get the impression for the longest time that the site is being left to hobble on without any improvements and will eventually just keel over and die. It is what it is.

new topics

top topics

join