It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeings "Superfrog".

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
This tilt wing concept is probably the best candidate for C-130 replacement. It could solve current weight VS armor issues of FCS, because it can carry much more than Herc. Lockheed proposed their concept too, but it was not able to meet the takeoff range requiremtns yet. The Superfrog will be able to lift 30-40 tons while operating only from 600 foot long runway!!!

Of course it cannot hoover like Osprey or V-44 and looks super ugly, but is mechanically much simplier and cheaper than tilt rotor. Also the engines could have only 1/3 output required to take off vertically. The wing tilts upwards in a 45-degree angle when landing or taking off.

Another interesting thing is that it has no tail (because the landing speed is only 60km/hour) so the elator doesn't work on such speeds. That also means it will use FBW control systems.
The fuselage which has some stealthy aspects and is almost twice as wide as by c-130. the range should be app. 3,000 nautical miles
I wonder if they will be able to do it, because it looks as very promising tactical transport for 21th century.

boeing patent and more technical info

[edit on 27-3-2005 by longbow]

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Ohhhhh man, I feel like i'm gonna PUKE!

I feel like I just downed 5 bacardi cola's! (I can't stand rum)

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I recently featured this type in the 'aircraft picture quiz' thread, you see all sorts of wonderful stuff over there

Here's the picture I used which shows how it would look when transitioning from horizontal to vetical or vice versa;

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
uuuugghhhhhhhhhh that is the most horrible looking plane i have ever seen.

i think the C-5 is the coolest looking transport aircraft there is

jra

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Yeah because looks are so important when it comes to military aircraft. I actually think it looks kinda neat, it's differnt that's for sure. It should be interesting to see if Boeing develops a working prototype.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
OMG someone slapped foam glider wings on a tadpole and called it a transport plane!!

Seriously that is one freaky looking plane... but hey if it works it is also an awesome concept.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Are you allowed to use the term cute in reference to aircraft?

Because this one is. I kinda like frogs.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
It does have a likeness to a frog.
It's not that bad.

I reckon it's pretty ingenious, like the fanwing.

posted on Mar, 27 2005 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I think it looks ugly and it looks like some cut a normal airplane in half.
On a more serious not though if it cheaper and better than out existing transport planes I’m all for it even though it looks weird.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:10 AM
link   
i really want one of these like bad...

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   
If this "plane" could ever fly, it would be for sure a great improvement for tactical transport...

Just a question, does the c-5 have a ro-ro capacity (I mean roll on roll over, ike the '___''s or LST's where you can embark the payload from the back and disembark it from a front door (moving the cockpit part as a door) ? )

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Can't wait for Off_The_Street's input on this one...

The C-130 is pretty much the Lockheed workhorse of the military.
My father worked on it in the USCG for years, before joining Lockheed and then eventually going on the Raptor project. The VTOL idea for the role is pretty interesting though, but likely far too costly and unneeded.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Element

Just a question, does the c-5 have a ro-ro capacity (I mean roll on roll over, ike the '___''s or LST's where you can embark the payload from the back and disembark it from a front door (moving the cockpit part as a door) ? )

Yes they do. Here is a Link.

Happy reading!

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I think it looks pretty cool.
Besides, the major thing is, is it efficient.

I mean really, when it comes to efficiency or aestetics, efficiency wins out.

top topics

join