It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DSL question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Ok here's the deal.

My family is moving back into a new house, and yesterday I heard my mom talking to the phone company about DSL. They asked her if we wanted DSL for one computer or multiple computers, and she said for just one.

Is it still possible for me to use a router to get DSL on more than one computer in my house, or is this DSL for multiple users thing just a ploy for the company to make a quick buck? I have DSL here and I'm using a router, but I have no clue if the DSL is for "multiple computers."

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
The reason for asking about multiple computers most likey is so they can configure the DHCP server on the DSL modem to hand out IPs for the right ammount of computers, if it isint configured properly you can have problems getting more computers on the connection. Even if they set it up to only allow one computer, you can attach a router instead of a computer, and then use a different IP range and Subnet Mask to connect basically as many computers as you want to the router.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I lean toward 'quick buck.' Cable/DSL routers are so easy to configure these days that most anyone can do it. My bet is that is all the technician who installs it will do. My cable modem provider offered the same option. I chose 'single computer' and installed my router myself.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Yes, I agree with Spectre here. It's just a way for your phone company to squeeze a few more pennies out of you. Todays routers usualy have nice step by step setup things on them. So, I would not worry about the single computer option. And alternate, isnt DHCP handed out by the router, not the modem itself.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Sarcasimo > actually alot of DSL modems also perform basic routing functions. I have a Speadstream 5660 here at home, and it not only does RIP(Routing Information Protocol), NAPT(Network Address Port Translation), and DHCP(Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol). After getting access to the modem I turned off DHCP and just use static IP address so that all my port maping stays the same even if the modem has to be rebooted. Cable and DSL units may be easy to configure, but its my feeling that ISPs are reluctant to release the passwords for modems they supply you with; I had to coax the password to my modem out of some tech people.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I see my confusion. My cable company here has basic modems. I have the Surfboard SB3100, so it only gives me the basic signal, and nothing more. Everything else is set at the node/office. You have a nice modem/router (or at least it looks like one from the pictures I found.)

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Thanks for the info everyone, that really helps.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I use a cable/DSL router by linksys and it auto-configures itself right out of the box - no software to install. It cost about $75 and has worked flawlessly. My cable company never asked if we wanted a setup for multiple computers, so the answer is yes to your question. The modem (cable co. provided) has its own IP, but the router assigns IP's to our computers automatically unbeknownst to the cable co.

top topics

join