It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HELP: Looking For a Computer Job...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
hey...

i am a junior in high school and i am looking for a career in computers...

i need you help (if you are willing to help me)...

can you give me a list of jobs that have anything to do with the computer???

also, can you reccomend a college / school i should attend to gain in knowledge for this job...

also, can you reccomend anything i can study now so i can get ahead in college studies for this job...

please be aware that i live in NY (the city of Yonkers, its right outside of NYC) and the college / school should be in or around Yonkers...

the info. you will be giving me is ONLY a reccomendation and i will be thinking about it as i choose my college...

thank you...

EDIT:

also post how much the job pays per year...

[edit on 23-3-2005 by they see ALL]

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I would suggest getting whats called the A+ Certification. www.comptia.org... I am right now working towards this. It is from what I'm learning a fairly extensive test going back to the days of DOS. But this is a good foothold for getting a job in the computer world. Although, this test isnt cheap. My study book cost $60, and the test is going to cost me $290 (but you can get vouchers).

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Pick an area of IT your interested in such as Programming, Hardware, Security, Administration, Database Management, etc. Your HS should be able to provide you with a list of local colleges and universities. Picking a school is a very personal deal, you have to look at how much you are willing to spend, type of school(2 year, 4 year, etc), location, and programs offered. A word of advice howerver, if you plan to seek a good paying job in IT, go for a 4 year school over the 2 year community colleges, they seldom measure up to real universities and 4 year colleges.

Since certs were already mentioned, A+ and MCSE are very good starting points, though MCSE is rather difficul from what Ive heard and costs a small fortune to complete all the tests.

Also, when the SAT and other college prep tests are offered, take them. Those scores help you get placed in college, and having a higher score makes you much more desireable to the college as a student.

Scholarships; these are absolutely a must. Start reading up on them right away to figure out the application processes, payouts, and deadlines to get them secured by the time your ready to start college. The beauty of scholarships is that they don't have to be paid back like student loands which often haunt studnets years after they have completed college and entered the workforce.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I can't recommend a college without knowing many thing, class rank, sat, etc. If you score well enough go for MIT, but if you can't there are many schools to choose from. However without more info I can't be more help.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
thanks for the info. guys and gals...

i will look into it...

if anyone else has additional info, just post it...

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Get all the Certs you can....MS, A+, C's whatever else you can think of..
School is important too, but some of your serious employeers especially the Gov looks for creditials and Certs.

Good luck

For now focus on graduating....this summer start appyling for schools
one year out is the golden rule

top topics

join