It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nvidia Says GPU Shortage May Last Until 2022

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 09:36 AM
link   
The news no gamer wants to hear , it'll be the same for AMD too as global demand for smart technology has sucked the hardware needed to make GPUs out of existence , add to that the pent up demand for new cards and Bit Coin mining farms sucking up stocks the future looks bleak.

Nvidia's executive vice president and chief financial officer — Colette Kress...

"Overall demand remains very strong and continues to exceed supply while our channel inventories remain quite lean. We expect demand to continue to exceed supply for much of this year."
screenrant.com...

I'm lucky enough to have an RTX 2060 but after a recent switch up to a 1440p monitor I could do with a new GPU , looks like it'll be a long wait.

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex
Got a Rog Strix 2060 super, good enough for me on my 1080 TV (but noisy as hell) but yes anything higher and you may want something along the lines of a 2070's which should be accessible as people upgrade to the next generation or perhaps given the sizable performance leap 3060 and up (And they are a lot quieter and more energy efficient but still more than half the price of a 3080 so?.

At the moment though other than going ultra hi def and/or using VI headsets these will last a good three or four years before they start to grind as games become more intensive, I can play pretty much everything with all the bell's and whistles on at the moment though I did have to go and download an older driver when the recent Nvidia driver update caused my sound to start cracking (I am using a Roccat swarm - turtle beach - surround head set not the cards own sound) and I noticed performance seemed slower, Nvidia rushed out another update in about a day or so but I have not yet upgraded as the older driver i took off the Asus website is fine for me for now.

All depends what you are doing with it.

The 3060's seem to range from about £375 up to about £600 retail and perhaps just a little cheaper online so as yet are they even worth it, my suggestion is that since building your own PC can these days cost more than a prebuilt wait until you need that upgrade and get an off the shelf rig with the graphic's you want for not much more than the price of the card and the CPU (you can always then tinker with it as long as you don't mind voiding the warranty to your heart's content).

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

I'm thinking about getting a 370 as that seems to be the sweet spot for price to performance , I have a Rift S headset so the extra grunt will be nice there too , the new monitor supports up to 170hz so the more fps the better.

Not one for pre-builts anymore so I guess I'm stuck clicking and waiting.

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 10:30 AM
link   

At least in Retail there is not much of a price difference though the cheaper 3070's come in about 8gb of memory while the similar priced 3060's often have about 12gb of memory, despite this the 3070 is the better card and allows higher frame rates at higher resolutions so is definitely the better choice for you, I was surprised when I looked up the price of the 3070's then and saw that, some 3060's are more pricey for less performance which makes that a strait up choice for the 3070.

I used to enjoy own build's but often finding the optimal bios setting for memory etc is a pain in the arse these day's so I just got lazy and ditched home build's (and remember all the old dud PC chip's motherboards and dead western digital hard drives you often had to send back when they arrived broken).

Best of luck with that I believe any jump to a 3000 series is going to be up to half a gain more powerful and given that you are opting for a 3070 make that probably more than twice as powerful as your current 2060.

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 11:10 AM
link   

My RTX 2060 super suits me fine, even with all my VR gear, quest 1, quest 2, rift s, all in pcvr.

If I have enough patience I can even do a reasonable deepfake. 300k iterations comes out decent with enough of a data set.

Where my i9 9900k fails is with my d-link security camera that records to the PC using ffmpeg. that canes it. tends to run multiple instances of ffmpeg to record and tax the cpu way harder than I expect.

But, I won't be upgrading for a while, so I'm happy with my rig atm. If I want crypto, I'll buy it low. mining it is just too cost inefficient with a single gpu set up.

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I was lucky enough to get a 3070 right before Christmas. It took me 3-4 weeks of F5ing and trying to add to cart lol.

I usually go with EVGA, but this time I went with ASUS. They are just as nice as EVGA imo. Just need to get a new Ryzen chip later on and I'll be set. My 1600x is still chugging along just fine for now. My bottleneck isn't really an issue at 1440p with the 3070 picking up all the slack.

Now I just need to help my brother get a card. He's been trying for months. Doesn't help that Newegg is doing this stupid lottery system.

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I've basically given up on trying to upgrade my PC. I'm too busy to game much anymore so my i5-4690k and my EVGA GTX 760 still functions for what I need currently.

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Miners are buying them up way faster than the companies can produce.
There are issues with the 3000 series as well .
2022 is for the upcoming series....
edit on 4/17/21 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: that1lurker
I was lucky enough to get a 3070 right before Christmas. It took me 3-4 weeks of F5ing and trying to add to cart lol.

I usually go with EVGA, but this time I went with ASUS. They are just as nice as EVGA imo. Just need to get a new Ryzen chip later on and I'll be set. My 1600x is still chugging along just fine for now. My bottleneck isn't really an issue at 1440p with the 3070 picking up all the slack.

Now I just need to help my brother get a card. He's been trying for months. Doesn't help that Newegg is doing this stupid lottery system.

5000 series for you.
5600x for price and performance .
That is , if you have a b450 or higher board.
x570 is good.
edit on 4/17/21 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 06:33 PM
link   
My 1050 TI keeps me humble and is worth more now than when I paid for it!

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ

Wonderful , isn't it .
I have a couple of 1060s and a 1080 in the attic .
Gold mine right there.

posted on Apr, 17 2021 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: PraetorianAZ

I was lucky to find upgrade parts for a new PC to be able to make a low end game PC for my stepdad to be able to play RDR2, he got my old 1050ti and i5 2600k, works fine when u add ssd

posted on Apr, 18 2021 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Just a thought, remember all those botnet's going back a little bit, now look at how many millions of folk's play online games such as MMO's, are the game developers hiding bit coin mining algorithm's within the games or indeed even mainstream developers that need you to be online even for single player games that then use your PC and it's graphics cards, whom has the most powerful graphics cards, gamers, so are they being exploited and affectively robbed in this manner?.

I would not be at all surprised if even Browsers are getting up to this trick if it is going on.

edit on 18-4-2021 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2021 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Yep, thats the plan at least. I have an x370 board at the moment. Definitely would like a 5600x, but a 3600x would be about the same performance in my situation. Guess it depends on the price as well.

I always use ASUS motherboards, but I think I may go with MSI this time around. I've heard lots of good things about their boards.

posted on Apr, 21 2021 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: that1lurker
Pick up an Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4
Fairly cheap , good performance , and loaded with goodies.

posted on May, 24 2021 @ 07:07 PM
link   

I managed to snag a 3090 FE at the beginning of March. Joined a stock alert channel on discord which made it a lot easier

top topics

join