It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's Russian for "I like the stock?"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2021 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Well, I don't mean that literally. However, let me introduce you to the Russian UAV called the Grom:

Wow.

It is intended to be a loyal wingman. And...not much more is known. Only a mockup made of plywood has been shown.

I am totally one for form follow function. I chastise people ALL THE TIME here for pointing and claiming 'copy cat.'

But...but... damn, folks. Can you say valkyrie-ski?

www.aerotime.aero...
www.defenseworld.net...

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

I think its strange that the Russian Federation can keep up with the United States with regards to any sort of flying (or any) technology. I say this because the Russian Federation's military budget is but a fraction of what the U.S. military budget is.

Think about that.

The U.S. reveals some advanced tech that just so happens be on par with the Russian Federation...yet the United States' military budget is like ten times more....for the last several decades.

Just saying.

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

First, Russia and China have a lot more control over their currency and pricing than the US does. So if they say they're buying 20 Su-57s and paying $50M a copy, then they're getting 20 Su-57s at $50M a copy. The US can sign a fixed price contract for something, but the pricing is a lot less in their control.

Second, they aren't though. They are just now getting their first 5th Gen aircraft flying (and there's at least some evidence that the Su-57 isn't true 5th Gen). But, even if both the Su-57 and J-20 are true 5th Gen aircraft, they're closer to an F-117 than they are to an F-22 or F-35. We've had the F-117, B-2, F-22, F-35, RQ-170, and RQ-180 that we know of that are all stealth aircraft.

Third, UAVs are a lot easier to develop and build than a manned aircraft. Because this looks like the Valkyrie, it doesn't mean that they're ready to build one, or that it's going to perform even close to where the Valkyrie will end up. They aren't as far behind as they once were, but they aren't truly keeping up with us they way you think that they are.

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Pretty ugly.
How disappointing. Russians usually make beautiful aircraft.

edit on 4/7/2021 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Their ingenuity in keeping their aircraft working in some of the worlds harshest conditions is amazing.

I've heard it said as American planes are like a swiss time piece and russian is more like the casio. One is intricate and has more capabilities but much more prone to issues and breakdowns...the other not so fancy but far more reliable.

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Cheap, tough, and many.

Not really "cheap", but you get the idea.

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Its true they usually do make cheaper planes and typically have more in stock. Partly due to their control over economy as zaph said. But their doctrine is so opposite ours. And I do love the lines and shapes of their planes. If in some parallel world if the US and Russian were close allies and collaborated design wise...OMG the arsenal that would exist!

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

How many missiles can an F-35 carry?

As someone said a long time ago:

"They've got the guns but
We've got the numbers."

I don't know what the state of the Russian Air Force actually is, but do you get the point?

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 03:29 AM
link   

It is because the Russians don't treat their military as one huge money making slush fund for their friends.

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 03:59 AM
link   

That's why they test all these drones outta Tonopah out here. We just gonna use UAV missile trucks lol!

posted on Apr, 7 2021 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: 11SK1180

No its because the state owns the economy...its not exactly free like ours.
edit on 7-4-2021 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2021 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Why dont they just make their hypersonic missile bigger?

posted on Apr, 8 2021 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Aside from the excellent points that others have made, I'd like to point out that while the Valkyrie has been flying for about a year, this is a plywood mock up. I think the comparison of technology levels ends there.

At least it's more realistic than the Qahar-313.

posted on Apr, 8 2021 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

The Valkyrie first flew March 5th, 2019. That's two years ago.

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

So as a side not of randomness.

form follows function as we say here

but I have always wondered at airshows where we(US) fly F22/F35/B2/and soon to be the B21.

What stops the Russians or whoever from setting up hidden sensors and other precision measurement devices from passively or actively scanning out aircraft at extreme close proximity in the air.

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

Who's to say they don't? Probably not much, could easily be concealed in a DSLR or video camera or other electronic device.

But I would think the data wouldn't be as valuable as something they could get from real world usage. I also think that's why even when deployed they still sometimes have their Luneburg reflectors in place.

posted on Apr, 11 2021 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

Because they wouldn't learn much. Stealth aircraft at airshows aren't going to have all their bells and whistles turned on. They don't even use everything they have at Red Flag.

new topics

top topics

join