It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We share

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I grew up in Kentucky and now live in Central Illinois, but over the years, I've noticed that even though we may have different accents, we have the same values.
At the bar where I work, on any given day during growing season, folks will bring in all kinds of things and if you want some, take some. Corn, green beans, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, peppers and many other things come in by the sack full. All fresh out of the garden and free for the taking. We just sit'em on the bar and you can take as much as you want because there's always more coming.
A lady I work with makes a mean spicy bread and butter pickle, so takes a whole sack of small cucumbers. She always brings me a big jar 'cause she knows I like them. No charge, just bring the jar back when you're done.
One of my buddies makes jalapeno honey mustard and it's great on everything. He brings me a jar every time he makes some.

We've had tourists come in and, even though they were perfect strangers, we sent them out with a sack full of fresh vegetables.
I take in tomatoes, peaches fresh off the tree, red raspberries, strawberries and whatever else I have extra.

Another friend is a big hunter. Doesn't matter what season, deer, squirrel, rabbit, dove, he'll bring in a batch of whatever and share.

Fresh baked bread, wrapped in a clothe and still warm. I have a jar of apple butter stashed in the frig for just such an occasion.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Well soon when we “own nothing” and “love it” you and the folk like you will already be far better off as a community of like minded folk and I applaud that!!

SaneThinking

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I do that as well, I leave bags on my neighbor's front steps with all kinds of tasty things: tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, herbs, lady fingers, etc.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 09:02 AM
link   

When you produce your own, you don't want it to go to waste, so that's what you do. It's either that or let it rot. Letting it rot makes zero sense.

I miss country life - small town life.

One town we lived in, we had this enormous apricot tree in our yard, and it always produced way more of them than we could eat. Our neighbor lady used to bake pies and make jam ... can stuff. She asked us if she could get some, and we said heck yeah. Between her and us, there was still always more than we could use, and she always took care of us with the stuff she made from them too.

It was always a win/win deal. Nobody lost and everyone got what they wanted off that tree.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I will never plant zucchini, because everyone else seems to plant them, and when they start coming on... everybody wants to give you 'some'.
I can eat about one dose of zucchini per season and then I am done with that.
I wish people near me would farm shrimp and give me some of them.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
I do that as well, I leave bags on my neighbor's front steps with all kinds of tasty things: tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, herbs, lady fingers, etc.

And this is why geezlouise doesn't post anymore?

edit on 2422021 by Snarl because: boogaloo

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

What can I say? I like giving my neighbors the fingers.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 11:03 AM
link   
My wife is the areas pickled onion, pickled red cabbage and jam maker. With her giving them away I keep telling her that the local supermarkets will come and threaten her for taking their custom (just a joke). The problem is I like just normal pickled onions but she's got the flavoured vinegar bug and I'm not up for that.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
I will never plant zucchini, because everyone else seems to plant them, and when they start coming on... everybody wants to give you 'some'.
I can eat about one dose of zucchini per season and then I am done with that.
I wish people near me would farm shrimp and give me some of them.

Zucchini, the Amish friendship cake of vegetables.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 12:02 PM
link   

It like this the world over. Sharing food is a deeply seated human behavior that we see among other species as well.

I share smoked meats, cold cuts, and cheeses. Those are the things I craft for others. Dude who's had several pounds of my bacon returned the favor with 2 boxes of 9mm ammo after he heard me mention i was out. Another dude that I share my smoked chicken cold cuts with gave me a 3lb sack of these red beans he gets from africa that are kind of sweet.

its just how we are as a species.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I have no money but if you're near me and you are going through a bad moment, I won't let you go bed with an empty stomach.

My bread is your bread.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

I too live in an area were all surplus items are shared. My neighbor just left after coming by to give me two beautiful outfits she got for her birthday, and found out that she can't wear them because they are too small. She said she knew they would fit me. They did. She also brought by some of her husband's tabbouleh, which is awesome, and some of his homemade Italian bread straight from the oven.

I have neighbors that drop of produce and fruit weekly and my brother keeps everyone in eggs and tomatoes. He has five different varieties and they come straight from the vine.

I work in a community center every week and we provide meals for those that want them at a very discounted price, but I have never sent anyone away that could not afford to pay, and through God's good graces, I have always had enough to cover the cost of those meals that I have given to those that needed them. I live on a fixed income but its has never been a hardship to cover the cost of those meals. Sometimes a customer will leave the costs of a meal to pay it forward, sometimes it comes out of my pocket, and I believe God has made it possible for me to share.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

That's why we came to this planet. To find all possible ways to show love.

And to be humble while doing that.

One of the ways I find fascinating is rescuing animals. You always end up crying and wanting to do more for those that can't speak to say thank you.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

LOL.

I still post.

But I don't need fingers to post. There are other ways.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Also I love this good and wholesome thread.

S&F to the OP and stars for everyone!

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 06:18 PM
link   

I have four rescue dogs, and two rescue cats that think they are dogs, the dogs, play along and allow them in as members of the pack.

I rescued three goats, two baby owls, an anhinga, a blue heron, a bob cat, and a rabbit. How they always end up on my property is a mystery to me. My neighbor calls me Dr. Doolittle.

So I know what you mean about animal rescue.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I have four rescue dogs, and two rescue cats that think they are dogs, the dogs, play along and allow them in as members of the pack.

I rescued three goats, two baby owls, an anhinga, a blue heron, a bob cat, and a rabbit. How they always end up on my property is a mystery to me. My neighbor calls me Dr. Doolittle.

So I know what you mean about animal rescue.

Thank you. When you rescue an animal, ask yourself, Who rescue who ?

new topics

top topics

join