It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shape Memory Alloys from Roswell....Theory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Hey everybody.
I was talking to my dad yesterday, and he mentioned something interesting. He is an civilian working at a military laboratory, and I believe that he knows somethings, but getting anything out of him is nearly impossible. He may not know jack, however, I get the feeling that he has suspicion. Yet, when we talk about the subject he always takes a skeptical point of view.

Anyways, yesterday he starts talking to be about something called "nitinol". An alloy that has some pretty amazing properties. When heated it will contract rather than expand(which is was all metals do when heated). In addition, this metal can be made to remember a specific shape. When bent and contorted then piece of alloy can be made to immediately return to its memory shape by heating it to a transition temperature.

www.imagesco.com...

I found this quite interesting. First of all, why would he even bring this subject up, it was a pretty random subject. It kinda came out of the blue. My initial feeling was, "why is he telling me this? does he believe this to be back engineered alien technology?".
The properties on nitinol sound very familiar to the mystery material found at the Roswell crash site. You all remember that? The foil like material that could be crushed and twisted up and it would unfold back to its original shape.
Roswell happened back in 1947. This nitinol was first unleased in 1962, and we can be certain that they had to be fooling with the stuff for several years. That puts it right about the time of the crash.
I know for a fact that the laboratory that this stuff was created at was the place to be during the 60s & 70s. The base was jam packed full of scientists. I believe that if an alien ship really did crash back in Roswell. That there is a good chance that it would have been taken to this base to be back engineered.
www.imagesco.com...

Just some food for thought!
later guys!

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
look for a good pair of high quality eye glasses they are made (some are anyways) with the same nitinol that you are referring to.

this stuff has been around for a long time, just no real practical use for the stuff.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
p.s. if I recall you might be referring to Bell Labs and yes back in the 60's and 70's even in the 50's they (Bell) got huge amounts of funding from the goverment to research all kinds of things. It was a way to keep the US on the forefront of technology and research since we were currently riding high from Nuking Japan at the time. So here you have a huge research facility with literally thousands of super smart people having money thrown at them to research stuff, almost anything and then you had a few hundred equally or even smarter people trying to figure out what to do with the stuff that the "mad scientist" staff had created.

A real shame and a tragedy to American superiority that we closed Bell.

If I can find it I will try and come up with the history of the memory metal stuff but I am pretty sure it was around the same time frame as Nylon

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Yeah, this has been out for a while, and sounds similar to descriptions to material found at Roswell. But the stuff from reformed at room temperature, where this stuff must be heated up. One description was that it "poured" back into shape, when placed on the table, which sound almost like liquid metal.

There is also stuff out called Muscle Wire which contracts when electric current is passed through it. I'ts probably close to the same thing. They use it in robotic kits.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
muscle wire is in fact nitinol and yes the roswell material is entirely different animal from nitinol.

Nitinol require warming to both phase into its memory shape and a higher heat to chage phase into its parent shape.

ie you can regress nitinol wire back to wire shape if it was heated and drawn at its parent threshold temperature (there is a name for this stage) and then when it is cooled to another temperature if it is formed into a shape it will retain the shape even when it cools further. If you bend it out of shape simply applying a little heat will make it return to its "programmed" shape. Apply a lot of heat back to the threshold temperature and it will change again into the parent shape and lose its "programmed" state.

ie Eyeglasses, are formed at the programmed temperature, so when you bend them, you just have to put them on your dashboard in the sunlight and the wire will reform to the original "programmed/formed" shape.

BUT if you take a blow torch to them they will attempt to return to their parent shape. And lose the "formed" shape they had as eye glass frames.

top topics

join