It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stealth Is Put To The Test In Huge Exercise Teaming RQ-170s, F-35s, B-2s With Other Jets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Stealth is Put To The Test In Huge Exercise...

The article presents a Large Force Test Event that included F-35s, F-22s, a B-2A, F-15s, Growlers, and a RQ-170.

Further it states the purpose of the exercise was to address four main areas of interest:

The use of fifth-generation stealth aircraft to conduct suppression of enemy air defenses (SEAD) in support of B-2A operations.
Advanced low observable ingress tactics.
Air Force non-stealthy fourth-generation aircraft working together with fifth-generation platforms for SEAD missions, including with other services and potentially with coalition partners.
Effectiveness of electronic attack tactics, techniques, and procedures between fourth and fifth-generation aircraft.

The air assets and areas of interest are interesting, if logical. But the SEAD stuck with me. What got me thinking was the discussion of what role the RQ-170 played. From the information I am aware of, it functions mainly as a recon asset with a potential strike capability (I'm less sure of the strike capability) Therefore, it could potentially perform pre-strike recon, BDA, etc. But what if it also had an electronic attack capability? Which brings me to my question...

Can the RQ-170 carry an SAR?

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: The one?

Most larger ISR assets carry on board SAR to some extent. Obviously something like the B-2 has a far more capable version than something smaller, but it's a pretty standard system on ISR platforms.

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

My thoughts are centered around whether you could use the smaller RQ-170 to fly in and offload "electronic packages", a la stuter.

posted on Aug, 6 2020 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: The one?

It would depend on the SAR that's mounted. They could mount an entire EW system based on current gen systems though.

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

remember the RQ170 with the black patch on the wing....i think that was SAR

posted on Aug, 7 2020 @ 11:22 AM
link   
These big exercises are well worth the money.

top topics

join