It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-15 Viking Takeoff

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   
This is a short video that from Boeing showing off a brand new F-15QA doing a Viking Takeoff.

Also found this PM article.

www.popularmechanics.com...

The plane shown below is brand new, doesn't even have a paint job yet. The F-15QA belongs to the Quatar Airforce.

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

I’ll take two, please.

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I’m not an airplane nerd, but I’ll be damned if these aren’t impressive to watch (feel) take off.

When I was stationed at the airport as a fireman, military flew in all the time. The F35 and F22 rattle the entire area when they hit the throttle. The F22 is the most powerful thing I’ve ever seen or felt. Can you imagine the fear of just flying one over enemy territory. The F22 looked like it stopped, in the freaking air, stood on its tail, twisted, and then shot straight up! Crazy

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: TexasTruth
I’m not an airplane nerd, but I’ll be damned if these aren’t impressive to watch (feel) take off.

When I was stationed at the airport as a fireman, military flew in all the time. The F35 and F22 rattle the entire area when they hit the throttle. The F22 is the most powerful thing I’ve ever seen or felt. Can you imagine the fear of just flying one over enemy territory. The F22 looked like it stopped, in the freaking air, stood on its tail, twisted, and then shot straight up! Crazy

When I was stationed at Eglin AFB the end of the runway was the perimeter road and if your timing was off you might be looking straight up in the tail pipe of one of those puppies through your sun roof...lol Talk about crazy vibration and noise...

I always thought the F-15 was crazy loud until I was near a SR-71...The engines on that is like ludicrous level in comparison.

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Four ship B-1 MITO, 200 feet away.

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Beautiful.

Somewhat related, I recently saw my first t-7 takeoff from Lambert. Quite an impressive little guy.

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I used to work 2 blocks away from Opa Locka Airport. When the airshow was in town the B-1's would buzz the tower. What an ungodly loud airplane. You could feel the darn taking off from inside the office. And when it came low over the runway it made a hell of a racket. Crazy impressive though.

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
I once watched a pair of B1's takeoff here after they had been for the Avalon airshow. They had a fairly heavy fuel load and I think the pilots decided to make it a memorable takeoff. I had my wife in the car when I spotted them and pulled over at the northern end of the runway as the threshold is close to the road. When they passed directly over they were probably only 150ft above at best. Loudest thing I ever heard. C-141's could make a damn loud racket too.

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TexasTruth

You should see an F-111 takeoff!

Nasty

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: thebozeian

We used to love watching them go. When ever we could, we'd call the tower and head to the far end of the runway and stand next to the runway. Good times.

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I’m pretty sure I’m an expert on the vernacular but what the heck is a Viking takeoff?

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: glib2

Ohhh it’s an old school test pilot out of stl thing. Weird.

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 01:36 PM
link   
So, I must have been not paying attention. When did they put the feathers back on the Eagle?

Also, The Bone at Dayton Ohio doing high speed passes and pretending to be a fighter. You didn't really hear it as much as the sound was overwhelmingly loud, but you could sure feel it. And no, you couldn't hear yourself yell to your buddy.

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: glib2

It's the very old school name for a vertical takeoff. I haven't heard it used in ages before this.

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Flipper35

It depends on the engine and operator.

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flipper35
So, I must have been not paying attention. When did they put the feathers back on the Eagle?

These are GE engines. The PW engines they are off.

Edit: their vs they’re
edit on 23-4-2020 by glib2 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join