It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cargill beef plant COVID death a 'workplace fatality': labour group

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I cannot believe this company stayed open and didn't even take serious the social distancing protocol . Workers voiced their concerns but were all but ignored. A travesty.
I need to add that they supply beef to what I believe was quoted as 1/3 the quota needed by McDonalds in Canada... *sigh*
calgarysun.com... 0168a84df832
edit on 2020-04-03 by skybandit because: typo

edit on 2020-04-03 by skybandit because: added

edit on 2020-04-03 by skybandit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: skybandit

An act of God. How is anyone going to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that he caught it at work.

edit on 21-4-2020 by MRinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: MRinder

Seriously, did you read the story?

" As of Tuesday, 401 workers at the High River meat packing plant — which represents 36 per cent of Canada’s beef processing capacity — had tested positive for COVID-19. "

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Freezing won't kill it.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: skybandit

" As of Tuesday, 401 workers at the High River meat packing plant — which represents 36 per cent of Canada’s beef processing capacity — had tested positive for COVID-19. "

I read it. So are you saying there is no possible chance he could have caught it outside of work?

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: MRinder

I read it. So are you saying there is no possible chance he could have caught it outside of work?

Either way, with 400 employees testing positive..a ball was dropped.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Are you just wanting to play devils advocate?

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Not really. I am saying in court nobody can prove he caught it at work. Also, if he died of the seasonal flu that he caught at work is that also an workplace death or an act of God? Do you really want a precedent set that if you die of a common illness that you may of caught at work that companies are held liable?

Where I live like 1200 prisoners in one prison caught Covid 19. Should the state be held liable in your opinion? If so, why? If not, why not?

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: MRinder

Not really. I am saying in court nobody can prove he caught it at work. Also, if he died of the seasonal flu that he caught at work is that also an workplace death or an act of God? Do you really want a precedent set that if you die of a common illness that you may of caught at work that companies are held liable?

Where I live like 1200 prisoners in one prison caught Covid 19. Should the state be held liable in your opinion? If so, why? If not, why not?

1200? Wow!
Where is that?
Sorry I have not heard that.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: skybandit

Marion county Ohio.

www.npr.org...

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 08:22 PM
link   

That is terrible. My heart goes out to the infected and I wish them a fast recovery. I hope no Family has to bury a loved one.
Who is to blame?
That is the million dollar question. I think too little was done too late.
As far as the Cargill incident, I would bet my life on it originating there. They saw the employees getting sick sent them home after testing positive then told them to come back to work 3 days later if they were feeling ok.
Its not like we haven't been warned.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 09:18 PM
link   
the only way to ensure a employee caught the virus inhouse is to test them on entering the premises lock them into isolation for 14 days.
Testing each day to verify entered virus free.
Total sterilization of any food or contact out of isolation chamber.
Then put in bio hazmat suit and allow them to work.
Never allowing them to leave, only working and returning to isolation chamber.

Other than that "Act of God"

Did the group of people infected have any other common links? Religion gathering, party, family kids school?

This is were the contact surveillance done in Korea and china monitoring the mandatory carried phone gps location is useful in identify crossed paths. How ‘Patient 31’ spread the virus in South Korean city

But as Canada doesn't have that level of surveillance, it should be ruled act of god. Otherwise union will need to provide healthy workers - The Union will need to prove on entering the plant a union member was fit and healthy then checked on the way out.

Just imagine that outside everywhere UFCW vetting sheds to prove union members are safe and certified to be in a workplace and every single time they leave verified still fit. All on the union members own time not company time.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Ugh.

I tried to leave this nuthouse because "it's just a flu bro".

Maybe it is and maybe it's not.

Got laid off yesterday, so my principles are a little skewed, well I'm drunk too.

Have two little ones I have to put first. They're tucked in for the night. Will hold down the ship for now.

God speed ATS community.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 10:07 PM
link   
As someone who has worked for Cargill. I've mentioned it here before. They're a pretty crappy company that doesn't care about its employees, amd definitely doesn't care about where they get their employees.

So, no. This doesn't surprise me, and they process meat for multiple fast food franchises.

They also process the very same meat that you pick up in the grocery store.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Who is to blame?
That is the million dollar question.

Nature? The Chinese government? Lol I like your phrase the million dollar question. That's what this whole topic was about... Finding someone to sue because the guy died from the virus. I feel sorry for his family and friends but we are all going to die some time of some thing. Life is terminal so live your best life and leave the rest to fate.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Im afraid he is right. Perhaps he caught it elsewhere and brought it to work. It would likely be impossible to prove he caught it at work.

posted on Apr, 21 2020 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Yes, the prisons should be more responsible. If you are taken into the custody of the state or federal government then your safety is their burden. Federal Tort Claims Act.

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander
a reply to: vonclod

Im afraid he is right. Perhaps he caught it elsewhere and brought it to work. It would likely be impossible to prove he caught it at work.

Oh, I agree on the legalities, It would be hard to prove anything. I guess I was just saying the plant was not running a clean ship. How much contaminated product is out there right now..yuck.

new topics

top topics

join