It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK BT Overcharging

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 09:04 PM
link   
so just more of an awareness FYI... rather than a thread...
(maybe better in the rant section, so feel free to relocate...)
So... for the last year (May 2019)... ive been getting overcharged by BT (UK phone/internet provider) on my broadband.
UK Unlimited broadband (uncapped internet usage) = 50 a month (note the "unlimited")
Quarterly bills - BT "unlimited" usage-
May 2019 bill - 320
150 + 180 - The 180 being for extra charges "over internet capacity"
phoned BT (45mins phone wait) - Im on unlimited, dont charge me unlimited, sorry sir, well refund....
Aug 2019
May 2019 bill - 320
phoned BT (45mins phone wait) - Im on unlimited, dont charge me unlimited, sorry sir, well refund....
Nov 2019
May 2019 bill - 320

All extra charges were refunded, but i had to make multiple calls.. eventually i lost the plot, complained to the Ombudsman who upheld my compliant, got a 100 and a apology letter from BT
/....it was annoying asfk...but that not my main complaint...
how many old grannys, ppl who just pay by DD/bank, stamps ..etc... are just paying this and not aware of these over charges?
if i didnt kick off at every bill, theyd of got away with an extra 60quid a month.... how many other pp, are they taking this off? *customer? *month ? *year?... few quid for BT? and how many other companies do that sht?

posted on Apr, 16 2020 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Midnite247

Sounds like they've been ripping you off for a few years.

Look around for better deals every 12 months.

posted on Apr, 17 2020 @ 12:27 AM
link   
This thread is an excellent idea and should be referenced as a warning to any Yanks who may be planning on moving to the UK and taking out a phone contract. Quite simply avoid BT if you want to keep the pounds in your pocket. Same thing with any company having the word British in their trading name, they will be expensive in the long term and try to coax you into signing up with them then try and trip you up somehow. I believe this is because they are ex state owned and during state ownership both British Telecommunications (BT) and British Gas offered their employees fantastic pensions and being state owned it was also a 'job for the lads' and had massive employee numbers, now they have to pay these pensions and they will attempt to get you stung in order to pay them. Best bet avoid anything with British in their trading name like the plague. Also a company called TalkTalk they will sting you too, avoid like the plague

Try a company called 3

Their mobile phone sim only deals are fantastic but go for the Advanced Plan which offers unlimited everything, so unlimited phonecalls including mobile phones and to many foreign countries, unlimited messages, unlimited broadband (genuinely unlimited unlike many) and downloads. Here's the best bit, unlimited tethering to any other devices so you can run your homes devices from your 3 hotspot.

Normally a 12 month contract is £22 a moth but if the deals still on £18 a month right now, best bet phone them up to get best deal they still operate a service during the Corona outbreak, so all your communications covered for £18

Avoid BT.................... Go with 3

posted on Apr, 17 2020 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Did you have some sort of limited plan years ago and went up to UL? Possibly the 'upgrade' didn't get done properly and with Bodgeit Telecoms its not really that suprising.

Been many years since theres been UK plans which are limited offered and was mainly done due to crappy copper lines and masive contention ratios over p--- poor uplinks especially in more rural areas as upgrading more rural exchanges just wasn't worth the cost as the legal definition of broadband was not much faster than sending an asthmatic donkey down the road.

Keep checking the bills as they probably will screw up the bill and don't be afraid to get the bailiffs involved if you can get a SCC/CCJ as they pass their costs onto them.

posted on Apr, 17 2020 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Top tip at the minute guys.

I've been looking to get out of my BT contract but as you know they like to lump you with a big bill when you do.
At the moment if you call them up and say you're moving home, tell them an address that's as remote as possible that wouldn't have a line installed. They will reply saying they they cant send an engineer out as they're not doing home visits or installing lines.

I said that's fine, can you please let me out of my contract free of charge? guy goes away speaks to his boss, comes back, yes sir, we'll do that for you as we can't install your line.

Easy as that! I'm now BT free!

Use the BT broadband checker / moving home to see if they will need to install a new line or not, its pretty easy to find an address.

Good luck! every cloud has a silver lining!
edit on 17-4-2020 by FawnyKate because: spelling

posted on Apr, 17 2020 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Midnite247
so just more of an awareness FYI... rather than a thread...
(maybe better in the rant section, so feel free to relocate...)
So... for the last year (May 2019)... ive been getting overcharged by BT (UK phone/internet provider) on my broadband.
UK Unlimited broadband (uncapped internet usage) = 50 a month (note the "unlimited")
Quarterly bills - BT "unlimited" usage-
May 2019 bill - 320
Aug 2019
May 2019 bill - 320
Nov 2019
May 2019 bill - 320

All extra charges were refunded, but i had to make multiple calls.. eventually i lost the plot, complained to the Ombudsman who upheld my compliant, got a 100 and a apology letter from BT
/....it was annoying asfk...but that not my main complaint...
how many old grannys, ppl who just pay by DD/bank, stamps ..etc... are just paying this and not aware of these over charges?
if i didnt kick off at every bill, theyd of got away with an extra 60quid a month.... how many other pp, are they taking this off? *customer? *month ? *year?... few quid for BT? and how many other companies do that sht?

They all do this crap. Watch out the 5G surcharges, even though you likely don't have a 5G phone. I have had to get congressmen involved in utility disputes like this before.

posted on Apr, 17 2020 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: FawnyKate

Totally awesome advice there FawnyKate
Totally appreciated for giving others the head up on avoiding thieves out there who will coax you then drag you in and essentially rob you. It's horrendous and these companies were set up by our government. I personally have an axe to grind but with the other British supplier................... British Gas. In my youth after being chased by a cold caller for weeks I agreed to go wit British Gas for a contract. This lady was so nice during that period and being honest and realistic coaxed me in............................ When I agreed to verbally accept the proposal of contract this ladies voice changed IMMEDIATELY from a voice of love and friendship to a voice of DARTH DADAR................... It become instantly evil and almost instantly I realised we had been stung!

To any Yanks thinking of moving to the UK and signing up to a telecommunications contract.................. For your wallet and your sanity avoid BT and British anything also do not for any reason go with a company called TalkTalk........... You will regret it

new topics

top topics

join