It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WetMarket

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 11:34 PM
link   
WetMarket

Its been a rough few months for me and my family. I grew up in a poorer district of china. Funny thing is I've always been told we were all equals in the governing eyes. Atleast, that's what they said back in school. Today, the evil Americans canceled a huge order at the factory and that our hours would be cut. In fact, for the first time since I was nine, I would spend an entire weekend at home. Our cupboards are normally pretty bare but we got by. There was always rice or noodles to eat seasoned with a bit of spice for flavoring. Recently, we have gone without more often than not and the government says the Americans are not treating us fairly and taking our food. I like most, cant begin to understand the complexities of foreign trade.

Its been a day and the factory hasn't called me in. I'm beginning to fear the worst. I am starting to contemplate ways to feed the family and remember a school batchmate who mentioned he was working for a secret place but they got lots of free food. My grandparents and great grandparents often tell me stories about what life was like when times were really hard. I ofter wonder if the kids and America hear the same stories from their elders. Probably not the news said America locks their elders away to die.

Day two and the factory have not called so I am trying to call in to see if I can come back to work. Unfortunately, the call goes straight to voice mail and the mailbox is full. My parents are complaining the same and going on about Americans and steal. The food stocks have been depleted so I am becoming desperate I hate seeing my family hungry. All of us have worked 16 hr days for most of our lives we deserve some comforts. I dial my old batchmate and he answers the phone and sounds as if he is busy working. I ask him if the company he spoke about needs help and he said he would try to get me a spot.

Several hours went by as I stare blankly at the phone, I've started watching the alleyway beside the house for a rat at least we could have soup tonight if I couldn't find some help. The phone began to ring and I stared for a second hoping for good news as my stomach growled violently. It was my batchmate!!. He informed me that they had some meats to offload to the wet market and that I could have half of the money earned. I quickly agreed and began to run toward my keep.

Before I left I hugged the elders and informed them that I may be able to provide. It is worrying as the grands and greats both look weak from the toll of what our leaders have called the trade wars with greedy Americans. I arrived very quickly to the meeting point my new employer and past batch mate suggested and sure enough, he was there ready to put me to work. There beside him was a cart well loaded with something and covered by a cloth. I quickly made arrangements to meet up and split the profits and begun walking the cart toward the wet markets.

It was heavy and I had to cart it myself a few miles but it was nothing I was so happy the elders would have food tonight. And if I manage to sell enough I will take them the best rice from Thailand to fry

To be continued....

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 11:38 PM
link   
The stores are closed around here, they aren't buying things if they aren't selling them. Maybe after the stimulus checks start coming in people will start buying things other than just the necessities and we will buy more stuff again.

This has more to do with our countries COVID problem and store closures and lack of income.

We can't order stuff from you guys if there is no market for it.
edit on 3-4-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

join