It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neocons vs Neolibs (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
While the subject of "neocons" has been a hot topic of political and conspiratorial discussion, I see little talk about the equal and opposite changes that have occurred within the U.S. liberal wing, the Democratic Party.

Classical conservatives, of whom Pat Buchanan is a current standard bearer, take a hands-off and decidedly isolationist approach to U.S. foreign affairs. They're willing to make deals with tyrannical regimes if that's seemingly in the present interest of the United States either economically or strategically. They also have been willing to overlook severe human rights violations, or even annexation of nearby weak countries by dictators if there were no U.S. interests directly put at risk by the actions of such regimes.

On the other hand, old-fashioned liberal Democrats in the U.S., best typified by the late President John F. Kennedy, were champions of liberalism, freedom and democracy throughout the world. Kennedy made sweeping policy statements regarding freedom in his inaugural speech and in his famous Berlin "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech.

But times are changing.

Today, many Republicans in the United States have rejected the old conservative foreign policy mantra, partially due to practicality but also due to idealism. Practically because history has shown that dealing with dictators and ignoring our democratic ideals of freedom when convenient tend to breed resentment and anti-Americanism that can blow up in the form of terrorism such as the 9/11 attacks. Ideally, of course, because these are the founding principles behind our own freedom and success as a nation and a people. The believers in these new conservative ideals are now known as "neocons."

On the other hand, modern liberals seem to be taking the opposite view, either a position of isolationism or a UN-style committee rule that speaks much but does little when it comes to championing democracy, the rule of law, human rights, and other Western ideals throughout the world. Whether they are doing this because of a sea change of thought within their ranks, or simply because they are doing whatever they can to be an opposition party to the growing juggernaut strength of the Republican party, I can not say...but I would call the adherents to this new philosophy "neolibs."

[edit on 3/9/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Kennedy made sweeping policy statements regarding freedom in his inaugural speech and in his famous Berlin "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech.

So kennedy said "I'am a Donut".

Wow.

other Western ideals throughout the world.

Read that over again to see the problem.

new topics

join