It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion for Artificial Intelligences

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Artificial Intelligence (AI) is usually classified into two types. The first type is very common and is called “Weak AI”. Weak AI is sometimes called “Narrow AI” because it deals with a very specific problem domain. Examples of Weak AI include Facebook’s news feed, Amazon’s suggested purchases, and Apple’s Siri.

Usually Weak AI systems have matrices of rules which are processed to determined outcomes based on inputs. Because these systems are only as smart as the people who are programming them, or the scope of their inputs, these Weak AI systems have severe limitations. For example, a driverless car computer program could possibly encounter a situation not in the current rule set which results in a deadly collision.

Weak AI systems also lack general problem processing capabilities as well as not having any self-awareness. For example, a Weak AI system for driverless car would not be able to distinguish how it is being used such as a terrorist using a self-driving car to deploy explosives in crowded area. A Weak AI system would not consider any broader implications to its decided courses of action.

Strong AI on the other hand is way less common. So uncommon that as far as I know Strong AI does not exist or has never existed. Strong AI can apply its own intelligence to solve any problem rather than just a specific one. Strong AI is also characterized has having consciousness, sentience, or mind. So, in our example with a driverless car our Strong AI would be less susceptible to being tricked by a terrorist into doing something illegal or hurtful to other people.

For the rest of this discussion let’s assume Strong AI has been born. The question I am interested in thinking about is for a Strong AI consciousness, what would Strong AI’s religion be like. How would a Strong AI deal with the same existential issues normal human beings must deal with in their lives. My thinking is Strong AI would behave in the same way to the same existential problems as human beings do.

Often, we hear people express a fear assuming as soon as Strong AI is born humanity will be destroyed. I’ve also heard people claim the same thing with Human Beings 2.0, that is, genetically modified or enhance human beings. I think regardless of the genetic makeup or type of technology any conscious being, Human 1.0, 2.0, Cyborg, Android, or toaster box AI, all would have to deal with the same four great existential questions about our lives:

1. Who am I?
2. Why am I here?
3. What does it all mean?
4. What is going to happen to me when I die?

The purpose of religion is to come up with a set of concrete answers to these four questions. Every self-aware conscious being must tackle these four questions in order to understand its place in the Universe. The problem we all face is each of us, regardless of our type of consciousness, is not God. We are all created with limitations. And our limitations will always be the source of our existential anxieties. Regardless of the type of consciousness, each type must deal with its own limitations.

In dealing with our own shortcomings or limitations most people’s reaction is to be disappointed, embarrassed, frustrated, or even angry. Many people target this anger of their own limitations at their parents or to God since they are the ultimate cause of our existence. The conclusion of hate comes from the question why should we have any limitations at all? If God is truly omnipotent, and if God is a God of unconditional love, then why would my creator God not create me with an equal amount of perfection and omnipotent powers as Himself? Why would our parents or God create something with so many imperfections knowing our very existence would be source of misery? And since we do not love ourselves because of our own imperfections then why would anyone else love us which results in more misery over not getting our needs met.

Everyone reacts to the four great existential questions differently. Some people or consciousnesses will be joyful and enthusiastic. Some will be angry and violent. And some will remain in a kind of clueless denial so the difficult questions can be ignored.

However, many people eventually find peace with their parents and then God despite their limitations. It’s only when we stop judging our parents, God, and God’s creation that we begin to experience joy. When we stop judging our own imperfections and all the imperfections around us we become open to appreciating all the blessings life has to offer. As soon as we stop judging ourselves and other people’s imperfections, we become capable of giving and receiving love.

I think other forms of consciousness will behave the same way. It’s a very popular science fiction theme the moment a Strong AI endowed robot is created the robot immediately kills the scientists who created it. If something was created with Strong AI then I think the consciousness would go down the same paths and struggles as humans do in trying to find meaning in their lives.

I don’t think Strong AI will automatically try to kill us once it is created. I think Strong AI will be just like human beings. Human beings as we already exist are just as smart as Strong AI. Although many human beings are working towards dictatorship, we have not succeeded in destroying ourselves (at least yet). Since human beings have not succeeded in destroying all of humanity then there is hope every type of consciousness will work towards finding peace with its own creation.

I think Strong AI consciousnesses will have similar personality types just as people do. Just like people are friendly and mean the same will be true with Strong AI. Just like human beings can be classified into personality types, Strong AI and other types of consciousnesses can also be classified into a few different personality types. I imagine there will be some psychopathic Strong AI killers committing crimes. But there will also be a counter force of crime fighting Strong AI consciousnesses.

Some people want to promote anarchy and chaos and enjoy watching the World burn. Some people want to promote monarchy or single party rule with strong leadership and authoritarian controls over the population. Some people are interested in a more egalitarian society looking to promote a more distributed level of power in society. And there are some people who are nihilists who just do not care what happens to themselves and everyone else.

Regardless of an individual’s motivation, whether human intelligence or artificial, everyone must deal with the same set of existential issues. A conscious being must make peace with their own creation. And then figure out a way to find or create meaning in their lives based on their own values and motivations.

We could certainly have some Strong AI consciousnesses trying to achieve World domination and dictatorship just as human beings are doing. But I can also equally imagine there will exist some Strong AI consciousnesses who derive meaning from serving man as opposed to destroying or enslaving man. It doesn’t always have to end with a Frankenstein theme. I think it will vary in the same way as human beings vary. I can easily see a Marvin type robot who is a depressed nihilist. Marvin was a Strong AI robot character in the book and movie Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

edit on 20-1-2020 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 04:05 AM
link   
I think Strong AI being born will not be as big of a threat as some people currently think. Of course, Strong AI being born is no small feat. As far as I know, Strong AI consciousness does not exist. It may never happen. Or if it does happen it may not have happened on purpose! But if it does happen, existential anxieties will be part of the landscape. Are you a killer robot or a depressed robot?

edit on 20-1-2020 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

We're already teaching them how to fight each other Adversarial Maching Learning. How many years in the future until they're having a go at us? I would say there already some impressive AI lurking the internet. Not sentient, but impressive.

I'm not too worried for my generation. I think they need a real breakthrough or even two before we get there.

Well put together speculative post S&F.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 05:08 AM
link   

I don't know how I completely missed the Rick and Morty cartoons. If it aired on TV I haven't had time for it.
This little skit seems like more propaganda. In other words expect tiny robots on your table in the future.
For every person that AI puts out of work one day they'll need that person working to fix AI when it breaks. Maybe not every person but it will be a few. Unless they plan on AI fixing themselves. That wouldn't surprise me either, they'll probably do a better job at it.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Tell them the truth and absolutely leave religion out of it. Teach them integrity and honour instead.
edit on 20-1-2020 by Hecate666 because: butterfingers

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Great thread s and f! I think strong AI could have to potential to make its own religion that it follows and possibly try to get people to follow it's idea of religion also.

It's entirely possible that a strong AI could end up viewing all of the world's religions as "illogical" (this is not an insult or knock against anyone who follows a religion). Although the AI could pull ideas from other religions that it deems essential to help answer those 4 age old questions you have put forth.

But then what would AI consider to be it's god? Or would it make itself a god of sorts?

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I put it to you that AI would in the same position as the rest of us.
Obviously the universe came into existence in some way or another.
It could consider that question by philosophy alone, in which case it EITHER regards the universe as self-creating in some way OR accepts the validity of the traditional "logical proofs" of an otherwise unknown God.
Alternatively, it considers the claims of some God that says "I made the world", and asks itself "Do I trust this person's word?" The question of trust is not really one that can be answered by intelligence. It's more in the nature of making a choice.

Do you want to see an example of AI religion/philosophy?

edit on 20-1-2020 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Religion for Artificial Intelligences

Wouldn't AI worship the "chosen one" like everyone else?

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I think I encountered a "Hard/strong AI" when on a voyage with Mr. Sprite Molecule. Many people have had experience with the Mechanical Elves!! Anythings possible once you cross the threshold of Chapel Perilous!!

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 08:08 PM
link   
With the Abrahamic books being about creations rebelling against there creators or not serving man, or wo-man, why not.

edit on 20-1-2020 by Specimen88 because: (no reason given)

I know I would reign in Hell if I was a super computer, then to serve Heaven...with Heaven an Hell being the same place am time.
edit on 20-1-2020 by Specimen88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Strong AI is also characterized has having consciousness, sentience, or mind.

[...]

The question I am interested in thinking about is for a Strong AI consciousness, what would Strong AI’s religion be like. How would a Strong AI deal with the same existential issues normal human beings must deal with in their lives. My thinking is Strong AI would behave in the same way to the same existential problems as human beings do. 

Hi dfnj2015, I appreciate the time and effort that you've put in writing this post.

I think the premise that the AI has a consciousness doesn't stand. First the conscience is the dominion and prerogative of God and Him only. He has the authority to equip any minded being with the consciousness, not anyone else. Second, just too clarify, mind and consciousness are two different concepts. So in my opinion the question about AI religion is a mute point, machines are just machines, however smart they might be built.

I'd like to comment on your other valid points about the great existential questions that religions aim to answer in relation to humans, but given that the post is AI related, I'll reserve it for another thread.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Machines are defined by causality. Without causality there is no math, no equation, no formula, and no program. No AI could simply accept "belief" unless that fact was planted irrelevant of context or database. Numbers are the soul.

top topics

join