It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space X Dragon in flight abort test - Jan 18

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 06:30 PM
link   
SPACE X has scheduled s full on abort test of its Dragon space capsule using a fully fueled FALCON 9 booster / The test is scheduled for morning of
Saturday Jan 18. There is a four hour test window opening from 8 AM EST . Weather condition are expected to ne 90 % for the test = there is
talk of extending the window as weather conditions are predicted to be better later on .

The test is the last one scheduled before SPACE X fly a manned crew capsule to the ISS, scheduled for later this year

The test will use a fully fueled first stage FALCON 9 booster with a dummy second stage . The booster has already flown multiple times and is scheduled to be retired The test parameters are for the booster to lift off and while passing through MAX Q , area of maximum dynamic aerodynamic pressure the DRAGON capsule will separate using its onboard Super Draco thrusters to simulate a launch failure .

After the Dragon separates from the Falcon 9 the rocket motors will be shut down causing it to tumble and break up in a massive fire ball

Should ne quite a show ………..

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.
edit on 18/1/2020 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 08:13 PM
link   
They're currently targeting the later end of the window due to wind and wave conditions at the recovery zone.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Standing down from today because of the wind and waves in the recovery zone. Attempt rescheduled for a six hour window tomorrow starting at 800 local (1300 UTC).

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: firerescue

New launch window is scheduled for Sunday, January 19 starting from 8 AM EST, extending for 6 hours

Hope to see some real fireworks on my birthday ….!!!

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Funny how they(45th Spacewing) gave the 18th a 90% chance of favorable weather and it got scrubbed due to weather(high winds and rough seas). They are giving the 19th a 40-60% chance of favorable weather but I fully expect a launch.

I am from the Space Coast of Florida and quite familiar with the weather, after seeing the weather forecast, maps and models on Friday I was surprised they stuck with their 90% chance, also I am surprised they haven't raised the chances for Sunday.

Unfortunately I am stuck in Key West and will miss the fireworks show, I will be watching the live stream.

My parents in Cocoa Beach will get a great show.

Live feed link:
www.spacex.com...

edit on 18-1-2020 by jrod because: Add link

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 06:28 AM
link   
They are targeting at 10am(EST) launch. They need to launch soon because a cloud line is rolling in. I am surprised they are shooting for 8am.
www.twitter.com...

Currently there are fair conditions with a southwest wind around 6 knots at the launch site.
edit on 19-1-2020 by jrod because: Add new t -0

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

The forecast that Patrick AFB puts out doesn't include winds aloft or conditions at the recovery site.

ETA: I'll be shocked if it goes today. Maybe we'll have two on Tuesday before it gets real cold Wednesday.

edit on 1/19/2020 by cmdrkeenkid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

Here are the conditions at the weather buoy 20 miles off Cape Canaveral:
www.ndbc.noaa.gov...

I feel they may have missed the weather window by pushing it back to 10am. It was clear at 8am, starting to get cloudy now.

www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov...

45th Spacewing weather outlook:
www.patrick.af.mil...
edit on 19-1-2020 by jrod because: Add 45th Spacewing weather link

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Pushed to 1030am EST. I am now expecting a scrub due to clouds.

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 08:51 AM
link   

They just retracted the access arm from the rocket, still looks good to go.

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: mightmight

That's a good sign. The WB-57(modified U-2) camera plane is also in the air.

Everyday Astronaut is also doing a live webcast:

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 09:08 AM
link   
They are fueling up. Launch team was polled and gave it a go! T minus 21 minutes!

spaceflightnow.com...
edit on 19-1-2020 by jrod because: Link

edit on 19-1-2020 by jrod because: U

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Boom

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 10:11 AM
link   
It was a success! It will be a few days or longer before the can really assimilate the data. The Dragon aborted promptly, coasted, dropped the trunk, freefall as planned, the parachutes deployed as expected and it splashed down.

It will interesting to see what kind G's it pulled on the escape.

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 10:21 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: mightmight

That's a good sign. The WB-57(modified U-2) camera plane is also in the air.

The WB-57 is a modified Canberra. Nothing to do with the U-2. The B-57 is a license-built version of the British English Electric Canberra.

RB-57 WB-57 Wiki link

Wiki B-57 Canberra link

edit on 19/1/2020 by tommyjo because: Additional info added

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

Came to post the same thing.

From NASA..
m.youtube.com...

31:33 minutes long.

Edit: for some reason it started where I left off. Just rewind to the beginning 😊
edit on 19-1-2020 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: tommyjo

I was under the impression that the Canberra and U2 we're somewhat related because of their airframe. Still a neat little plane and nice to have for launches.
edit on 19-1-2020 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 01:23 PM
link   

WB-57(modified U-2)

WB57 is modified Martin B 57 "Canberra" with extra wingspan for high altitude flight

Was original English design

new topics

top topics

join