It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mach 3.3 drone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2003 @ 10:52 PM
link   
This drone was called the D-21(Project Tagboard). It was built by Lockheed. The first launch of this drone was in 1969 and the program was canceled in 1971. Originally this drone was ment to be launched from the back of an A-12(SR-71) but that was canceled because on one occasion the drone collided with its mother aircraft. After that the drone was to be launched from the B-52H. On the first launch the craft crashed. There were several successful operational missions flown form 1969 to 1971. The program was highly classified.
Here are the specs.

SPECIFICATIONS
Span: 19 ft.
Length: 43 ft.
Height: 6 ft.
Weight: 11,200 lbs. without booster
Booster: Lockheed Propulsion Co. solid propellant rocket
Engine: Marquardt RJ-43 ramjet
Armament: None
Crew: None

PERFORMANCE
Maximum speed: Mach 3.3
Range: 3,400+ miles
Service Ceiling: above 90,000 ft.
Here are some pics

I believe that this drone was flown over Russia during the Cold War. I was wondering if anyone had any info on th missions of this drone.

Also I want to know what you think of this drone, I think its pretty cool.

[Edited on 10-7-2003 by jetsetter]

[Edited on 10-7-2003 by jetsetter]

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 03:26 AM
link   
That's one of the first UAV's ever...
It was designed to be launched from the back of an A-12:

www.aero-web.org...

Just google a bit on "SENIOR BOWL D-21
TAGBOARD"

THIS page is an excellent read!!

[Edited on 10-7-2003 by Zion Mainframe]

jra

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 04:24 AM
link   
i got a chance to see the a-12 with the drone on it in the air and space museum in seattle once. it was pretty neat.

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 12:14 PM
link   
The only place these drones were used on a regular basis was North China, if my sources are correct. They never tried this one out on the USSR.

From what I am told, they were used a handfull of times to scout the Lop Nur nuclear test site, with mixed results. Apparently the launches and flights were flawless, but the recovery operations were a nightmare, with only 1-2 recce pallets being recovered intact.

I am also told that the Chinese apparently never saw them inbound or outbound, as ELINT data showed no apprecialbe increase in emitter activity.

At least one drone never re-emerged from the Chinese border.

They were also used once or twice against North Vietnam, but it was determined that other sensors could do the same job with less risk and cost.

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 03:07 PM
link   

At least one drone never re-emerged from the Chinese border.

a lot more than one actually, but not because they were shot down, a lot of them tore them selves apart executing turns, the guidence system which was really primative, would overstress the airframe, buckle the convergent nozzle for the ramjet, allowing fuel to build up and eventually explode. add in the difculties of retriveing the film, and its no surprize it was withdrawn form service after 2 years

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The chinese probaly never the drone on their radar. Look at it, it looks like it has the radar signature of a fly.

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Wouldn't that thing work as a nuclear-tipped cruise missile?

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I dont think they would use it as a cruise missile, it is too big and it looks like there is not enough room for much on the drone.
[Edited on 14-7-2003 by jetsetter]

[Edited on 14-7-2003 by jetsetter]

posted on Jul, 13 2003 @ 11:21 PM
link   
That drone looks spectacular!
Brilliant!

posted on Sep, 10 2022 @ 10:25 PM
link   
The D-21 was actually not the first supersonic UAV developed by the Lockheed Skunk Works. In the early 1950s, Lockheed built and flew an experimental ramjet-powered aircraft, the X-7 (originally designated PTV-A-1), and it subsequently built a target drone based on the X-7, the Q-5/AQM-60 Kingfisher. A total of 61 X-7s and Q-5s were completed before production ended in 1959, and the X-7 and Q-5 attained speeds of Mach 4 during flight tests and operational evaluation trials.

Link:
www.designation-systems.net...
socalaviationheritagedigest.blogspot.com...

top topics

join