It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Restaurant in Malaysia The truth hurts

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: JFA13
a reply to: Vasa Croe
I had the same thought! Why in English and only in English?

I would guess, the beggars target tourists.

posted on Nov, 25 2019 @ 04:13 PM
link   

edit on 25-11-2019 by VeilOfShadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2019 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
It was one of those soups you didn't really want to know what was in it, but it was so absolutely delicious you didn't care.

They just can't get the spices right.

posted on Nov, 25 2019 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
I suppose people are giving some money to beggars outside instead of spending all of it inside.

Or bothering paying customers while they try to order.
Either way, I think they are sharing their answer to these social questions:

Should you give beggars money directly?
Does giving money to beggars directly hurt them more than help?
Do we cause more begging due to our own behavior?

After visiting Seattle, (and some other big cities) I'd say, No, Yes, Yes

In Asia they have busted numerous rent a baby beggar groups. A woman borrows or rents a baby for the day and dress the kid in rags then sets off on her day of begging. The parents gets a cut of the take.

Many restaurants are an open air affair where you face the street while eating. You are munching down on you breakfast and someone will see you and think, "Oh I bet he has money....Hey you give me money."

It is not an everyday happening as most patrons just say no and the beggars go to greener pastures.

Some beggars are really destitute while some are just running a scam.... it is a world wide phenomena...

posted on Nov, 25 2019 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Whoever wrote those signs is an erudite native English speaker, likely British (because of arse.)

It is more likely that it was written by an ex-pat Australian.

Arse is largely an Aussie thing and the Aussies live quite close ya know, mate.

P

posted on Nov, 25 2019 @ 06:51 PM
link   

I suppose people are giving some money to beggars outside instead of spending all of it inside.

More likely they're sick and tired of the bums congregating outside their respectable establishment and are seeking a more consistent, respectable clientele for their restaurant. I'd have a similar sign if I ran a restaurant and had customers getting harassed by inebriates thanks to a handful of well meaning idiots who feel they must throw change at bums. Same as with wild animals, all it takes is a few folks feeding them and they become a major problem to everyone actually using common sense and not giving them hand outs.

posted on Nov, 25 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
a reply to: JAGStorm

Odd question, but why would a restaurant in Malaysia have a sign in English?

Public schools in Malaysia teach English as a required course and most service industries there are English fluent. Source: Youtube travel Malaysia video.

posted on Nov, 25 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: smurfy

I gave you a star just for working the word salubrious into the conversation.
Does the place look unhealthy to you?

I didn't say that, I just don't like presumptive billboards..which that lot obviously is, it's just telling you what to do.
Malaysia isn't that poor but quite well off really, statistically that is, but that really doesn't mean that much these days re 'Beggars'..and it does have a fair amount of immigrants, a big amount of migrants inter state, and all through the states as well as ex-pats from wherever, 'nuff said.
Sure, there will be hassle, McDonalds have or had a policy disallowing customers to buy food for beggars, sometimes they had good reason actually, and for various reasons, while it also was something also indiscriminate and presumptuous per se, when all the circumstances are not really known, or the law is not so clear.

In modern times, we can be so cruel without thought, there is no real guidance, nor should we expect to get any...but, if you don't get it, you don't get it... that's easy?

edit on 25-11-2019 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Nov, 25 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

More likely they're sick and tired of the bums congregating outside their respectable establishment and are seeking a more consistent, respectable clientele for their restaurant.

Ha, hahahahahahaha..respectable! never mind respectful, When they tell you, they will not put up with your shiite.
edit on 25-11-2019 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Nov, 25 2019 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

originally posted by: schuyler
Whoever wrote those signs is an erudite native English speaker, likely British (because of arse.)

It is more likely that it was written by an ex-pat Australian.

Arse is largely an Aussie thing and the Aussies live quite close ya know, mate.

Cool. Makes sense. The sentence structure says "educated" though.
edit on 11/25/2019 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Thanks for making me look up a new word. Salubrious. Thought I was well read.
Learn something new every day - and I'm old.

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   

I love how it doesn't tell you not to give money to beggars, but it tells you why you shouldn't.
I have to agree. It's very simple, but it's deep and true.

“My pockets are full of quarters. But not one quarter I have says deadbeat on it.”
Lieutenant Viktor Ivanovich Belenko, speaking to two beggars/would-be-thieves outside a bar in America long after his de-briefing was completed.

Victor Belenko was an elite MIG Pilot who defected from Russia September 6, 1976, in his at-the-time super secret MIG-25, after 'landing' at Hakodate Airport in northern Japan

Excellent, fact based book for anyone interested, it tells his story of what it was like growing up in communist USSR, and how/why he came to decide he would defect, or die trying. I couldn't put it down the first time I read it many, many years ago.

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Should you give beggars money directly?

Not money. Depending on circumstances, I have, and will do so in the future, give food and water.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   

I wish I would have known of this restaurant while I was living in Malaysia. I would have gone there all the time!

It's down in Johor Baru which is down south by the Singapore border. That's a crazy place anyway, so not too surprising. Spent a lot of time down there.

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets
Who would eat at a restaurant in Malaysia is the bigger concern ...

That you would make such a statement, clearly without any knowledge of the country or the culture, screams volumes about you!!

Probably some of the best food served on this entire planet is served in Malaysia!! I would know, I lived there for several years.

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

That you would make such a statement, clearly without any knowledge of the country or the culture, screams volumes about you!!

Pretty sure most people wouldn't even know where Malaysia is on a map.
That's ok, No soup for them!

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Why should any business?

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 01:06 PM
link   

I didn't say that, I just don't like presumptive billboards..which that lot obviously is, it's just telling you what to do.

As I get older, the more I like presumptive billboards. I think we need them in more places, like airports for example.
They should read:

1- The numbering system is no different at the airport, 1 still comes before row 20
2- Keep your damn shoes on at all time
3- If your ticket was cheap, sit your butt down, and you might as well check in your luggage
4- Keep an eye on your kids, nobody thinks they are cute
5- Try taking a shower before you get on a flight

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   
"The poor will always be with us." -- Jesus Christ

posted on Nov, 26 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   

It's in between Thailand and Singapore. Almost exactly on the opposite side of the planet from Colorado (the exact opposite side is out in the Indian Ocean).

Just for the record.

ETA - Interestingly, most people have actually heard of Malaysia and don't realize it. Probably nearly 50% of the nature programs on National Geographic were filmed in East Malaysia which shares it's landmass with Borneo (which most people have heard of). The island has historically been referred to as "Borneo", but it's actually split between Borneo and Malaysia. Anyone who's ever seen an orangutan knows of Malaysia, because this is the only place they exist. Toucan Sam (on the Fruitloops box), well, he comes from Malaysia too. In fact, about 90% of Intel's computer chips are manufactured in Malaysia, so most people are probably typing on a computer made largely in Malaysia (certainly the chips anyway). Oh, and those car tires on your car...yep, the rubber comes from Malaysia. Bugs and snakes...oh man, I could go on for days about them, some of the biggest in the world.

edit on 11/26/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join