It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afghanistan on verge of becoming narco-state

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Washington — More than three years after installing a pro-U.S. government, Afghanistan has been unable to contain opium poppy production and is on the verge of becoming a narcotics state, a presidential report said Friday.

The report said the area in Afghanistan devoted to poppy cultivation last year set a record of more than 510,000 acres, more than triple the figure for 2003. Opium poppy is the raw material for heroin.

The Afghan narcotics situation “represents an enormous threat to world stability,” the report said.
The Globe and Mail

Another catastrophic success? Maybe we need to invade again? Our forces are stretched so thin, and led so poorly (by the politicians), that we can't maintain a military success anywhere. We really need to stop throwing our weight around globally, at least for a while, until we get some new leadership
and are able to regroup and make our military a threat again. I'm afraid some country is going to call our bluff, and beat us down if we don't have some kind of competent foreign policy.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
hasn't this been covered?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
ATSNN stories can co-exist with a similar thread in the forums. They get along nicley. and compliment each other.

I heard a discussion on this the other day. The thought was that the drug problem in Afghan is an internal problem. They need to deal with it internally in the same manner that the elections were internal. Here we have a case of the US saying "We are not the world's police. Deal with it yourself.", and they get brow beat over their decision. Darned if you do.. and if you don't

[edit on 7-3-2005 by dbates]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
My bad i guess... sorry.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme

Another catastrophic success? Maybe we need to invade again? Our forces are stretched so thin, and led so poorly (by the politicians), that we can't maintain a military success anywhere. We really need to stop throwing our weight around globally, at least for a while, until we get some new leadership
and are able to regroup and make our military a threat again. I'm afraid some country is going to call our bluff, and beat us down if we don't have some kind of competent foreign policy.

You know something...This is a very interesting topic and one that needs to be addressed.

BUT...your entire comment section is just a bunch of Bush/America bashing.

I don't see anywhere that you've commented on the actual topic? And what you have commented on is nothing but pure bias. Just read your first line.

If you'd like to talk about the actual topic, great. Otherwise, go join a protest somewhere. God this gets old.

new topics

top topics

join