It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revolutionary War Drum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I have collected antiquities for many years...but have recently encountered something I've never seen before.

I have an acquaintance, from whom, I've recently purchased some antiques he was selling from his home.
As he was showing me around (we were looking at some lamps)...I noticed an old drum shoved under a table. It was unrestored...obviously very old, beat up, but intact...and, on it's side, had a beautiful weathered crude painting of an eagle with thirteen stars above it.
Years of experience has taught me enough to know the real deal when I see it...and this looks very genuine...and definitely from the period.

Intrigued...I asked him the story behind it...and he knew nothing about it (not an area he cares about)...other than it came from his wife's family and was rumored to be from the revolutionary war. He knows nothing about it, beyond what he told me...and is much more interested other areas of antiques.

Since I've seen it, I can't stop thinking about it.
I fell in love with it, immediately...but Revolutionary War antiques are not something I have much experience with.

I doubt he will sell it (haven't asked...yet)...as it was in his wife's family...but does anyone know anything about this area...or what I might approach him with as a price?
Thank you.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT
How fun! I love antiquing.
Is this it?

historical.ha.com... 99052

More pics
www.pinterest.com...
www.pinterest.com...
www.bing.com...

Good luck.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
How fun! I love antiquing.
Is this it?

historical.ha.com... 99052

More pics
www.pinterest.com...
www.pinterest.com...
www.bing.com...

Good luck.

Very similar (size and shape/style)
Cruder painting of eagle and stars...skin drum top present but not fully stretched on top.
Drum sticks also present.
edit on 11-10-2019 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   

You have to ask him. You would be surprised what people will sell or outright give to you.
Some times they just don't care and are happy to give it to someone that will preserve it.

As for price you have to be careful, too low they will be insulted. Too high and they will think it is worth a fortune.
I would go about it like this.

-Hey I saw that drum of your and absolutely fell in love with it. If your wife ever wants to sell it to someone that will take good care of it and display it let me know.

Let them name the price.

Also really do some research before you pay anything. There are some civil war reproductions that were done shortly after the civil war. My dad actually has a hat that was used in a civil war parade done shortly after! Pretty cool, and very old but still not original.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I would go about it like this.

-Hey I saw that drum of your and absolutely fell in love with it. If your wife ever wants to sell it to someone that will take good care of it and display it let me know.

Let them name the price.

Also really do some research before you pay anything. There are some civil war reproductions that were done shortly after the civil war. My dad actually has a hat that was used in a civil war parade done shortly after! Pretty cool, and very old but still not original.

All good advice. I will eventually ask him if he'd like to sell it...but I want to be fair with my offer.
I'm going to continue to research it's value...as I have no doubt it's 18th century...as well as American.

new topics

top topics

join