It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bethesda is in Trouble Again , This Time it's Plagiarism

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Definitely won't buy a Bethesda game anytime soon.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

there was a mod for New Vegas called Autumn Leaves which they more or less ripped off completely for there far Harbor

AH , that's probably why I enjoyed Far Harbor more than the base game.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   
As far as descriptions go, yeah, that's totally plagiarized without a doubt. As far as story & gameplay goes...well, like with movies, you can only pull so many variations out of your ass before you hit the Lather, Rinse, Repeat stage.

I don't think it's so much a sign of a sketchy company so much as it is a sign of total concept inundation today. It's very hard to be original anymore. Take Myst as an example. The series was (and still is) considered very original, a groundbreaking adventure puzzle concept, a one-of-a-kind -- if you ignored Rhem, Portal and the like bubbling up over the following years (which most people tend to forget exist)

To be honest, if this was any other less mainstream company, they would barely get attention for the concept regurgitation. Description plagiarism probably, but not the game itself.
edit on 5/10/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

True, basically everyone just copies the work of Philip K Dick over and over again.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: solve

To be fair even he took inspiration from other's, Old Silent science fiction movie with a distinct workers right's and even borderline communist inspiration called Metropolis, Jules Verne's many work's and perhaps others, of course robot's as an idea are NOT a modern invention, remember the Golem for example a man made of Clay powered by a holy word but basically a robot with a program.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
Most of the technical problems withFO4 and 76 stem from their insistence of sticking with the ancient , yes I know it's updated ,Creation Engine but that doesn't take the blame for FO4's ridiculous story.

What was your beef with the story for FO4? My issues for all things Bethesda center entirely on their outdated engine and the fact that, even staying within that engine, within a month of any major release the modding community has managed to consistently polish the offering to a high gloss which their own programming staff *should* have achieved in spades prior to even releasing the game.

I've not played FO76 and likely won't, nor have I spent more than an hour with ESO... both are because I'm not into multiplayer and MMO gaming that much, so I can't really say much beyond the fact that what videos I've seen of 76 weren't impressive and the Creation engine continues to stumble as it ages.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

What was your beef with the story for FO4?

I thought it was ridiculous , son gets snatched , you wake sometime later and set out to find him not knowing if he's died decades ago then set about doing other stuff insted of looking for your son ... as opposed to Fallout 3 where you're looking for your dad.
It was a lazy premise from a lazy studio , it wasn't always this way so I wonder what happened.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Wow!

Well at least they changed the characters names.

Unreal.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Bethesda's fall from grace continues.

I have lost all faith in this company ever since the paid mod fiasco with Skyrim, so reading this really doesn't surprise me. I do tire of all my favorite gaming companies becoming some of my most hated because of their shoddy practices.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Necrobile

Bethesda's fall from grace continues.

I have lost all faith in this company ever since the paid mod fiasco with Skyrim, so reading this really doesn't surprise me. I do tire of all my favorite gaming companies becoming some of my most hated because of their shoddy practices.

If you are speaking of the paid mods from old (such as on the Nexus) that basically ended as soon as it started
If you are speaking of the Creation Club content , I like it.
Spoken from someone that the SSE and FO4 folders are over 200 gb each . Without any HD patches.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 08:16 PM
link   

What was your beef with the story for FO4?

I thought it was ridiculous , son gets snatched , you wake sometime later and set out to find him not knowing if he's died decades ago then set about doing other stuff insted of looking for your son ... as opposed to Fallout 3 where you're looking for your dad.
It was a lazy premise from a lazy studio , it wasn't always this way so I wonder what happened.

Similar start concepts , but in no way similar plots

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 08:20 PM
link   

My last console was a Sega Dreamcast , been part of the PC master race since then.

My last console ? Atari 2600
Was PC gaming before then , though.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

My last console was a Sega Dreamcast , been part of the PC master race since then.

My last console ? Atari 2600
Was PC gaming before then , though.

How were those exciting text based games?

I had to go back after the fact to play most of that old stuff. I grew up with Nintendo and Dos, but started amassing a pretty decent historical Room of Doom collection in college. Even have an old C-64 and a modest collection of games for it. Emulation has allowed me to play far, far more than just what I could find at shops and yard sales, (plus it has kept my wife from pitching a fit over losing a room of the house to a huge video game collection display) and I gotta say, man, y'all had balls of steel back in the day. I can *maybe* name 5 games I've found from pre-1980 that are even remotely worth playing today and still fun (Asteroids, Breakout, Zork, Space Invaders, and Galaxian). The early 80s would have been damn cool times, though. I remember being a little kid and harassing my dad for quarters to play Burgertime at Pizza Hut. I still love that game, enough so that I ended up making a second Raspberry Pi build focused purely on Data East's Deco Cassette arcade system, complete with a custom joystick kit

I am a console guy, though. I used to play PC a lot, especially in high school and college with Doom, Quake, Duke, Half Life, Civilization, and the old Apogee side scrollers. Ultimately, once I found myself with a family and work life, I found there's a definite convenience in console gaming that's lacking for PC gaming. I don't play the whole "master race" crap, though. Play what you dig and dig what you play... and this generation has seen a definite increase in what used to be PC exclusive ideals (like mods, indie games, and niche games) become standard offerings for consoles, so I feel like the console gamers are holding our own.

posted on May, 10 2019 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Good Old Games (GoG) ais continuously redoing the old school games to run on modern day systems
And , there is always DOSBox
I am playing Wasteland 1 now on this system :
AMD Ryzen Threadripper Gen 7
16 Gb DDR 3000
Gigabyte 1060 OC

But , I still remember the old days

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 03:29 AM
link   

It's very murky waters were the fallout franchise is concerned, many of the old game fan's whom still remember the original isometric game's have never forgiven Bethesda's handling of there beloved game lore or that Bethesda have felt free to change it were it suited them.

By all account's Fallout NV which as you know as built on the same engine as fallout 3, was rushed and incomplete as Bethesda did not give Obsidian enough time to complete there work and yet despite it's bug's was at least twice as good as fallout 3 (Before DLC's that is and still better with all there DLC's though actually fallout 3 had the better DLC's), mainly this was due to a better character creation/intro and both better quests and better NPC's interaction's but it also had more interesting faction's such as raider gang's that you could actually interact with such as the mission that shapes the destiny of the Khan's or the mission to destroy the Fiend's on behalf of the NCR or to trade with them on behalf of the Khan's.

The fact that there were actually four main factions to side with all with significant outcome's to either create a free new vegas ruled by either yourself or Mr House, pass it into the control of either the NCR or the Legion and also the major though smallest faction of the brotherhood whom have retreated to a bunker.

Fallout 4 meanwhile was pretty bland, it was cool when it first came out but was soon outdone when NV was released even though NV only had half it's map completed and was a rushed job (and despite that half the map completed it still felt very large indeed especially due to the intelligent design of the game world Obsidian had implemented with great quests along the way).

Of course for those old game's the ideal is to merge both Fallout 3 and New Vegas into a single game and of course that is quite easy to do allowing you to have the same character and play through both quest line's and freely travel between both wasteland's the capital wasteland and the Mojave wasteland.
taleoftwowastelands.com...

And if you like VR this video is - ha - enlightening - don't do VR myself.

What fallout 4 did better was to bring the first person shooter mechanic's up a bit making the game more FPS fan acceptable but there were actually several mod's for F3 and NV that did just that same thing and actually did it better, still no dual wield mechanic's though.

When it comes to the elder scroll's however the problem is creative direction, they are still good but over the years have become increasingly dumbed down, while the engine and graphic's have gotten better the RPG element's have gotten simpler which is actually not to everyone's taste, part of the reason is many of the original brains behind the franchise have either retired or left the company.

They are still a talented company, and we are just venting a bit of annoyance with them but let's be fair we are talking about and have played there products to death so?.
As long as they are getting critique you know they have a fan base even if that fan base is getting very angry with them and they have promised to go back to single player game's so let's hope they keep that promise.
By the time the next elder scroll's or fallout game is released loot boxes and micro-transactions will potentially be banned anyway (we can hope - actually they will be in several large markets but probably not on the bulk of the world which will mean regional versions of future game's becoming the norm but that does not prevent the problem of rent a game models).

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Last game from Bethesda i really enjoyed was Oblivion , thats way back , when HDMI was upcoming lol.
edit on 11-5-2019 by TheGreazel because: (no reason given)

EDIT , forgot to mention fallout shelter , got me through a nasty period after i cut through a thumb tendon and couldnt use my gaming rig

edit on 11-5-2019 by TheGreazel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2019 @ 04:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: raedar
I was a huge fan of the Fallout series (and many of their other titles) and stayed away from 76 until I hung out with my dad while he was playing and got hooked.

I’m loving it

Aesthetically it’s mostly similar to Fallout 4 and the gameplay is as well. But the survival aspect has been notched up and the open world community addition is cool!

Add to that they are constantly updating and adding more to the game from quests, to storylines, and CAMP items as well. They just added vending machines you can place in your CAMP to sale your extra junk and gear

It’s a bummer they get such a bad rap and that probably one or two storyline employees who were not properly managed are causing this latest issue.

I still love Bethesda and believe they are ok!

Try the game at least to level 10

I've been a fan of the elder scrolls and the fallout series for as long as i can remember. 76 however, in my opinion, was hastily thrown together garbage. The graphics are worse than fallout 4, the enemy placement is random and frustrating. The camp system is trash, the lack of NPC(which made the other games so lively) makes this game feel empty. I played to level 20. 35 hours and i will never pick it up again. I gave it all the chances. It is gltchy, unaesthetic trash.

posted on May, 12 2019 @ 05:02 AM
link   

there was a mod for New Vegas called Autumn Leaves which they more or less ripped off completely for there far Harbor

AH , that's probably why I enjoyed Far Harbor more than the base game.

Not only that, they copy and pasted people's Fallout 4 mods into the Fallout 76 Atom shop and charge anywhere from $5 to $20 for them.

posted on May, 12 2019 @ 07:33 AM
link   

That same argument can be made for pen and paper RPG’s as well. Take the original D&D (that came with a crayon to fill in the dice) to Advanced D&D to AD&D 2 to the major shift in mechanics with 3.0 and 3.5 to what 5.0 is (pretty much WoW as far as mechanics and a character advancement).

Gone are the days where you sit down with the DM to flesh out a character concept that becomes its own class. Dragon Magazine had an article on a bard build as a jester. It was handed to me to make one. Had it been Chaotic Evil, he probably would have taken over the whole realm eventually. But being CN, was happy to settle for what was around him.

Even with EQOA on the PS2, the world was open enough for our guild to create quests within the game and adventure quite well with two bards and a monk as the party. People thought we were some massive guild, because we had toons everywhere they ever went. None of us were raiders, just explorers and RP’ers.

Modern games lack that level openness, even modern MMO’s. But in my opinion, mobile gaming on tablets is going to be the next big thing. It is a closed platform like a console yet open to a changing gameplay with updates like a PC. Games such as Last Day on Earth and LeftAlive have shown me the possibilities. You can play Knights of the Old Republic so an EQ or WoW could happen. Keyboards and game controllers are there for a better interface. Question is if there are gamers to make such a commitment of character investment to such a game and will developers write it? Since it seems that micro transactions are the way of profits. You could do a $5-$10 game with multiple language settings, but you would need a limited free game demo to generate interest for that purchase.
edit on 12-5-2019 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join