It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One of the Worst Earthquakes in Korea's History Was Caused by Humans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   

In 2017, South Korea suffered the second-worst earthquake in its history, and a recent investigations finds that it may have been caused by humans. According to the government-funded study, the cause of the quake was an experimental geothermal plant in the city of Pohang.

I like the idea of geothermal energy, always thought it was the way to go. I know other countries use it and have never heard of it causing large earthquakes.

In the past only locations that have geothermal energy near the surface have been able to make use of it. Recent advances have opened up the use of geothermal energy to more locations. In the future geothermal energy could possibly provide all the energy needed for the people of Earth.

Hopefully the danger of earthquakes being caused by geothermal energy use can be minimized and it's use will continue to grow.

Geothermal energy

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Al Gore would have blamed it on Cow Flatulence.
edit on 23-3-2019 by Artemis12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Cause and effect... I have never calculated the energy transference or how long it would take the cooling effect to stop the core, but no heat down below with a gooey liquid centre means no magnetic field. Everything has a cost, so removing heat from the planet's core will eventually kill us and the planet. It might take millions of years, but it is the reality.

It might be better to throw a bunch of money at energy generation/skimming using Bose Einstein Condensate type technologies that lever entanglement through adiabatic deceleration towards absolute zero. I'd personally rather use tiny bits of mass evaporating into energy rather than kill the planet.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 3/23.2019 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   
While NASA is talking about taming Yellowstone by extracting heat from it ...

:
edit on 2019 3 23 by incoserv because: just because.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

Cause and effect... I have never calculated the energy transference or how long it would take the cooling effect to stop the core, but no heat down below with a gooey liquid centre means no magnetic field. Everything has a cost, so removing heat from the planet's core will eventually kill us and the planet. It might take millions of years, but it is the reality.

It might be better to throw a bunch of money at energy generation/skimming using Bose Einstein Condensate type technologies that lever entanglement through adiabatic deceleration towards absolute zero. I'd personally rather use tiny bits of mass evaporating into energy rather than kill the planet.

Cheers - Dave

Good point. The Sun is probable the best energy source we can tap, but not with solar panels. No matter where you extract the energy there is a price to pay.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv
While NASA is talking about taming Yellowstone by extracting heat from it ...

:

I think that was mainly fake news.

He said in 2018: “There is no plans to actually do this, it was just a plan in concept. “But there is no plan to do any drilling at Yellowstone and I can’t imagine it would ever be allowed as it is a national park.

Yellowstone volcano: USGS scientist's warning over NASA plan to DRILL into supervolcano

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   

So kind of like fracking minus the chemicals being pumped into the planet? I'm all for new methods, it's the fact that corporations actually begin doing it, as with fracking, before actually investigating the potential risks

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 01:12 PM
link   

hmm - the OP source seems to think that " was " and " maybe " are synonyms - they are not

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Just another glorified headline to obtain clicks and ad revenue

and a recent investigations finds that it may have been caused by humans

The actual wording from the article. Which , apparently you did not read past the headline . Not with cognizance , anyway.
There is a difference between the terms "was caused" and "may have caused"

2) Where did the author of the article learn English ? "and a recent investigations" ?

3) No notation at all of who , what , when , where , or why as far as "and a recent investigations" were performed

4) The source was "Motherboard" ? A Vice website ?

The last statement pretty much sums it up.

posted on Mar, 23 2019 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Cause and effect... I have never calculated the energy transference or how long it would take the cooling effect to stop the core

Um, we haven't even been able to drill into earth to equal the depths of the deepest depths in the ocean. I don't think we are in any danger of "cooling earth's core" with geothermal energy extraction.

Maybe if we ever get to the mantle...but then again we've only reached about 9/1850 miles in drilling, so I'd say we have a bit to go before we have anything to worry about.

posted on Mar, 24 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

Cause and effect... I have never calculated the energy transference or how long it would take the cooling effect to stop the core

Um, we haven't even been able to drill into earth to equal the depths of the deepest depths in the ocean. I don't think we are in any danger of "cooling earth's core" with geothermal energy extraction.

Maybe if we ever get to the mantle...but then again we've only reached about 9/1850 miles in drilling, so I'd say we have a bit to go before we have anything to worry about.

I said it could take a million years so that's not the point. Cause and effect and the laws of thermodynamics is the point. An increasingly technological society will use exponentially more energy. If it is coming from geothermal, that society will eventually kill itself by destroying the magnetic field. That is simply logic and common sense.

It can't even be reversed by injecting energy that normally misses the planet. Energy injection would increase the global average temperature and turn the planet into desert. Just add sand worms and you have Dube lol.

Cheers - Dave

top topics

join