It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Math is Hard! A billing conundrum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Has anyone ever had medical billing or insurance handled correctly ever in the history of ever?!

It started with this www.abovetopsecret.com...

Basically, got an ER bill--which I've paid off in full--and just verified all the payments in my checking statements. They add up! Paid!

I'm still getting phone calls and letters saying I'm not paying my bills. I'm currently on hold with 'customer disservice.'

In the meantime I've checked their website where I make my payments to compare my payment history with theirs.

Oh how nice, they've conveniently omitted about 4-5 payments I've made since last July.

Seriously how can anyone be this inept? (Just to clarify I'm not talking about me!)

Like how hard is it to do billing. It's basic math! And never have I seen anybody whose job it is to do this basic math able to actually do it.

Is it stupidity? Is it bad business ethics? What is the deal with constantly double dipping and overcharging people?

I'm willing to bet there's not one person who hasn't been a victim of this idiocy.

Thanks for hurting my credit and referring me to debt collectors you jackwagons! It took me like 8 minutes to do your job that you've had 6 months to do.

edit on 4-2-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

You have work benefits, or health insurance?

Maybe they can help you out with some advice or even be the middle man and sick their lawyers on them to straighten things out. If you have all the documents and such it would be easy for them.

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I recently had almost identical issue, but mine was with my very last payment! Yes the very very last one, go figure!

Luckily my story had a happy ending, they found the last payment, after several letters, calls, emails, letters, print outs, letters, emails, calls. Pretty much around 18+ hours of my own time!

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Maybe they can help you out with some advice or even be the middle man and sick their lawyers on them to straighten things out. If you have all the documents and such it would be easy for them.

No it's not. You would think it would be perfectly easy! I had paid mine with a health savings card online. I actually had an online timestamp and electronic proof, they still couldn't find it!

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: strongfp

No it's not. You would think it would be perfectly easy! I had paid mine with a health savings card online. I actually had an online timestamp and electronic proof, they still couldn't find it!

Right?

Last I checked their own statements page around october-november it actually showed all the payments I had made. So I was like "Ok it's all there. No way they can say I didn't pay it all."

I check again today and as I said 5 payments missing...one was for a $500.00 buttslam payment I made.

Funny, my bank shows all the payments made out to the same place. None were rejected. How does $500 just go missing?

Is embezzlement the norm in this industry?

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Funny, my bank shows all the payments made out to the same place. None were rejected. How does $500 just go missing? Is embezzlement the norm in this industry?

Not sure if it is intentional or total ineptitude, either way it is super annoying.

You aren't using Froedtert are you? If so they went through a massive billing system change and that is what happened with mine.

edit to add, I learned a while ago to keep a detailed binder and keep detailed records of everything, including who you talked to, when. Seriously, it sucks that you have to do that, but you do.
edit on 4-2-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

That's great advice!

My plan is just to never go to the ER again. I'm investing in a bottle of aspirin and a wooden spoon for all home procedures. I can feel the savings now!

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I had a test done once at a hospital.

First, they said it was going to cost about $300, who was my insurance company.

I said that I didn't have an insurance company and would have to pass as I couldn't afford the $300. "Well, it's $80 cash, then."

(Actually, as an aside, I did have a type of coverage that wasn't really insurance and would not have covered the test. If I'd have invoked that coverage, it will would have cost me $300 out of pocket.)

I whipped out my debit card and paid for it, got a receipt, had the test. About six weeks later, I got a bill in the mail for a further amount. I went to the hospital and threw a fit. Presented my receipt, explained that I was told I was fully paid. Said that I own a business and if I did that to my clients, I'd be out fo business and maybe even in jail.

The charges were dropped and I was told never mind.

A friend who works in the medical field told me that he's convinced that it's a scam, that hospitals do that kind of crap on purpose, knowing that the majority of people will just pay up and not fight it.

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

A friend who works in the medical field told me that he's convinced that it's a scam, that hospitals do that kind of crap on purpose, knowing that the majority of people will just pay up and not fight it.

It has to be a scam. After my phone call today the person I talked to said "Well there's 75.00 dollars remaining on your balance so just pay that and it'll be settled."

(This $75.00 thing relates to the first issue I was having mentioned in the linked thread.)

I told them send me a bill for it including all the payment history and I will pay it.

"But we've sent you statements every month blah blah blah."

(BS. Also part of the reason I called them up some months back was because I wasn't getting any paperwork showing my remaining balances after payments etc.)

I'm 100% convinced it's a form of embezzlement that is encouraged in the industry.

posted on Feb, 4 2019 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

I'm 100% convinced it's a form of embezzlement that is encouraged in the industry.

I have no doubt whatsoever. Folks say the U.S. medical system is broken; the system is not broken; it's rotten and corrupt.
:
edit on 2019 2 04 by incoserv because: I could

top topics

join