It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Science - Ancient Mangrove Forest Unearthed.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Scientists working off Cairns on Australia's Great Barrier Reef have exposed ancient mangrove trees that were swamped after the last ice age. The trees have limited decay which points to them being covered after an abrupt change of up to five metres when sea levels rose after the ice melted and have been carbon dated at 9000 B.C.

www.abc.net.au
Dr Dan Alongi from the Australian Institute of Marine Science says they have unearthed 9,000-year-old mangroves in old river channels that were swamped when sea levels rose after the last ice age.

He says the relic mangroves show an abrupt rise in the sea level, 20 times faster than previously thought.

"Material was very much intact, it didn't even have time to fully decompose when it was buried, so it does tell us that when climate change happened at least when it happened in the past it was comparatively quick," he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The still intact nature and minimal decay of the trees point to the sea levels rising at a fast rate over a period of ten to twenty years which is much faster than previous estimates of the ice elting after the last ice age.

Previous estimates pointed to the sea levels rising over a period of hundreds or thousands of years but the trees unearthed in the ancient river channels, which were found less than ten kilometres off the current shoreline, imply that it was a very rapid level rise that would have impacted many changes, including fishing for any humans living in the area.

Related News Links:
www.abc.net.au

[edit on 28-2-2005 by Mayet]

[edit on 28-2-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
You know this is actually pretty frightening news. It goes to show that this planet truly can change so drastically in our lifetime. That can kind of rise in sea level would put alot of Florida underwater, as well as many islands in the carribean. Could you imagine trying to displace over 10 million people over a period of twenty years? I think we should focus alot of research into that mangrove forest and find out as much as we can about them. It may be helpful for us in the future.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
and the water level was caused due to Global Warming caused by evil America, George Bush, and Haliburton emissions.

Well, surely such things can't be natural, such sudden climactic changes couldn't possibly be natural cycles in the Earth's lifetime?

*tongue firmly in cheek*

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I find it interesting that 9000BC is around the time that the Great Flood happened according to the bible. I was pretty sure that the tales of the great flood had to do with end of the ice age and the glaciers melting, this piece of evidence to me more or less proves the great flood was real.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
I find it interesting that 9000BC is around the time that the Great Flood happened according to the bible. I was pretty sure that the tales of the great flood had to do with end of the ice age and the glaciers melting, this piece of evidence to me more or less proves the great flood was real.

i was under the impression that the 'creationists' say the world was created ~ 4004 BC...the 'Great Flood'/inundation came later ?

on the otherhand, if that particular mangrove remained at a static elevation and the sea level all over the planet rose some 20? feet
in ~20 years...the rate of ice thaw was tremendous!
--> i kinda suspect that particular area most likely 'sank' rapidly

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Why is something that the US military warned us about, surprising?

did we not believe them?

did they blink when they talked?

but you still find an amazing amount of people who say "global warming" is hogwash..

Of course, they said it would take 50years... so they may have overshot it some, but the end result is:
sell your beach property...
save hard currency (gold and silver)
and stay away from flood zones...

everything else will be a "fly by the seat" operation.

it has already begun... the ocean current has slowed and will soon stop...
when it does... get ready for a very cold surprise in some areas (northern UK) ... and massive flooding in others...

as to the date of "CREATION"...
the pope decided that the day of creation was probably sometime around 270,000 b.c.....
this fact actually surprises most christians who are still pressing for it to be taught in schools (about the 4004bc date...)

and it won't be a universal raising of a sea level, but will depend largely upon rainfall in a certain area, as well as the amount of water in the air, on land, and in aquifers... (lots of rainfall on land lowers sea levels)

[edit on 28-2-2005 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Very interesting. Good find mayet.

...Seems like the evidence just keeps piling up - geophysical change can be quite rapid. Makes sense to me.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
Of course, they said it would take 50years... so they may have overshot it some, but the end result is:
sell your beach property...
save hard currency (gold and silver)
and stay away from flood zones...

it has already begun... the ocean current has slowed and will soon stop...
when it does... get ready for a very cold surprise in some areas (northern UK) ... and massive flooding in others...

and it won't be a universal raising of a sea level, but will depend largely upon rainfall in a certain area, as well as the amount of water in the air, on land, and in aquifers... (lots of rainfall on land lowers sea levels)

[edit on 28-2-2005 by LazarusTheLong]

If the ocean currents stopped, wouldn't this cause a massive freeze therby eliminating global warming and actually causing an ice age as oppossed to warmth and flooding? I could possibly understand a redirection of ocean currents, but not a stoppage.

Another question, why wouldn't the sea level rise universally?

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
sorry... mistated or didn't explain myself...

the ocean currents don't stop... just the present stable flow does...
the ocean currents will go further south... towards the equator...

this is a generalization though... the flows will change to accomidate more moisture in the sahara, and less warmth in the northern UK... and northern europe...

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Its global warming that leads up to the shift of the ocean currents. See the higher temperature causes rapid melting in the ice caps thereby releasing unimaginable quantities of freshwater into the oceans causing a lower salinity level which has alot to do with it.

join