It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New laptop w/o Windows - Possible? I Will install Linux - Also - Microsoft antitrust?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Finding a laptop w/o Windows is hard, especially for a really good machine. There are some lower model's I've seen that offer some flavor of Linux but I don't want a bargain basement model.

When I see that you get charged the same with or w/o Windows, that seems like a breach of an anti-trust law. Just like MS to do this AGAIN. They tried this with Internet Explorere and paid dearly for it IIRC.

IDK when people are going to get so tired of surveillance and being free beta testers for a company making BILLIONS each year and move to Linux (come on over, it MUCH nicer than people say!!!!!). Where there is a huge community of beta testers (usually volunteers) and a rock solid OS that is used in the majority of web servers (and database servers) across the world.

You can still use ANY version of Windows on your new linux install, just open your Windows window (via a virtural machine) and you can use any native windows app and even use an old Windows install from your last computer, copied over to your new one, so you have your old OS/programs/games/setting all right there running INSIDE Linux! - it's really tough to beat.

Now, where do I get a good laptop (touchscreen, lighted keyboard, m.2 HD, SATA HD bay as wel possibly, optical drive ???, USB 3.2 ideally - will settle for 3.1C gen2, Thunderbolt would be SWEET!!!).

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Purism sells Linux laptops: Purism website

Techradar reviews several linux laptops: Techradar

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Why do you want Linux so bad?

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Companies pay pc manufactures to add their bloatware on all windows machines. Also with their volume license agreement the windows software is really cheap. So the 3rd party software ends up subsidizing the cost of a new computer. www.zdnet.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 02:11 AM
link   

When I see that you get charged the same with or w/o Windows,

Because the dealer has purchased an open license with Microsoft already. (Or , it comes from the manufacturer like that.)And , any form of computer system is tested and certified to run with the OS on the label by the manufacturer . Although it does not violate warranty , it is difficult to get support running a non-certified OS

So , no trust breached

edit on 12/28/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jason79
Companies pay pc manufactures to add their bloatware on all windows machines. Also with their volume license agreement the windows software is really cheap. So the 3rd party software ends up subsidizing the cost of a new computer. www.zdnet.com...

No , PC manufacturers put that "bloatware" on the PC's recovery or installation media. And , actually , some of it is helpful

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I have a System 76. I paid a premium but didn't want to do any research, or guesswork, to purchase a Linux-compatible box off the shelf in a store, or with Windo$ pre-installed. My main complaint with System76 is that the wireless card in my machine (Intel-made) required proprietary microcode in order to work -- which meant, for my purposes, that installing a second version of Linux (Slackware, to supplement Ubuntu) on my machine could not be done via wireless, but only via ethernet.

My previous laptop, about seven or eight years ago, was an Acer AMD quad-core on sale at Walmart for about 400 bucks. I took a chance with that and aside from having to install proprietary wireless microcode on that one as well, it worked without a hitch, running Debian, Slackware and Open BSD at various times, no problem with any of those.

Names I would tend to trust to run Linux well are Acer, Asus and Dell. Dell sells a few Linux boxes and will, sometimes, ship a unit without Windows (and with a slight discount, perhaps). The main thing I recommend is buy a good warantee, and get as much screen real estate as you can afford (if it is a laptop, minimum of 1920 x 1080. More pixels means more productivity and less eyestrain. Also, if you order online and plan to install Linux yourself on a Windows machine, check return policies and restocking fees in case you hit an irresolvable snag.

I never had to do that, personally, and I've owned three desktops and five laptops over 18 years running linux, starting with Y2K-era Thinkpad and a G5 Mac PowerPC desktop. "Linux runs great on old hardware" is an old adage and is definitely true. So you might consider buying refurbished, high-perf equipment with a warantee.

In my limited experience, most brand-names can run Linux off-the-shelf, though sometimes requiring a few tweaks. The Window$ tax is annoying, and should violate anti-trust laws, but Microsoft won their anti-trust suit years ago with expensive lawyers, so we're pretty much stuck with their bloatware.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 03:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Can't speak for the OP, but maybe for the same reason children want free candy on Halloween and presents on Christmas. You might end up with exactly what you want, or what you need, without having to spend a dime. And you might get something you love, even if you didn't want or need it in the first place.

Either way, feels great!

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 03:36 AM
link   
a reply to: pianopraze

Purism sells Linux laptops: Purism website

I looked at their 15" laptop. For what they're charging, I'd rather take my chances with a Window$ machine from Walmart, Staples or Amazon, and install Linux myself. Purism's products seem way overpriced for the hardware.

You'd get more bang for your buck at System76 and their prices (and customer service) frankly suck also.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 04:18 AM
link   
You can put Linux on pretty much anything. Doesn't matter what kind of PC you buy for it. Unless you're a gamer, but then you want access to Windows anyway. Not everything is compatible with Wine.

You could just dual boot both systems. I like Linux Mint

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 04:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Namdru
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Can't speak for the OP, but maybe for the same reason children want free candy on Halloween and presents on Christmas. You might end up with exactly what you want, or what you need, without having to spend a dime. And you might get something you love, even if you didn't want or need it in the first place.

Either way, feels great!

More like if you can't stomach the sweet candy, you're going to really hate the sour candy.

If you can't windows fix windows and remove or disable the things mentioned, you won't do well in linux, unless all you do is web browsing and email. Do anything more technical and hit a single problem, and your sool..

Sure it's a lot easier that it used to be, but it's still a command line based OS even with a fancy gui.

(I run kali linux in a vm box, so I'm not a hater, but people who don't know any better bagging windows and praising linux, may end up regretting things.)

edit on 28-12-2018 by gallop because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 04:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlowNail
You can put Linux on pretty much anything. Doesn't matter what kind of PC you buy for it. Unless you're a gamer, but then you want access to Windows anyway. Not everything is compatible with Wine.

You could just dual boot both systems. I like Linux Mint

I think the OP is referring to the fact he'd still have to pay for the windows install even if he were to blatt it and install linux.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: gallop

So, he just wants a custom build. You can buy laptops without an OS, easy.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 06:08 AM
link   

(I run kali linux in a vm box, so I'm not a hater, but people who don't know any better bagging windows and praising linux, may end up regretting things.)
a reply to: gallop

True, except there are good (if not great) open-source alternatives beyond email and web browsing. What about OpenOffice? Gimp? Inkscape? If you know Word/Excel/Visual Basic, and Adobe CS programs, then these open-source alternatives are all at least serviceable.

Having said that, if I were involved in any kind of graphic design or other digital media production -- that is, beyond using web-based content management -- I'd be using OS X or Windows or both. Thank goodness I don't have to. I haven't called tech support or used proprietary software in 16 years.

AFA Linux goes, I guess you're right about the command-line. I don't know what the f*** I'd do if I weren't command-line fluent...

Oh, wait. I'd be using OS X, of course.

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Or run Windows with Vbox or other virtualization software then run multiple distros of Linux.

One OS is not inherently better than the other however they all due certain things better than the other.

I get it though their are always going to be a % of users out there that think MSFT is the Devil.
edit on 28-12-2018 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-12-2018 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Finding a laptop w/o Windows is hard, especially for a really good machine.

Here ya go. Easy as clicking.

www.apple.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Make sure that Linux does not haul in Snoopy and Charley Brown with it.

top topics

join