It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ammon Bundy quits 'Patriot Movement' after criticizing Trump's rhetoric on immigrants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Bundy, a central figure in the anti-government militia movement, recently criticized Trump’s rhetoric toward the migrant caravan at America’s southern border. Following the sharing of his opinions, which surprised his supporters, Bundy told BuzzFeed News that he was the instant target of a major backlash. Some wished he was dead, some wished they had never supported his family during the standoffs, and others claimed he was paid to switch political sides.

"But what about those who have come here for reasons of need?... What about the fathers, the mothers, the children, who have come here and are willing to go through the process to apply for asylum so they can come into this country and benefit from not having to be oppressed continually by criminals?” Bundy asked.

He characterized comments criticizing the caravan as being “based upon selfishness” because of the thought that if they entered the country, someone would lose something. Bundy added that “it’s all fear-based,” and said that basing arguments, motives and actions on fear was a “very dangerous thing to do.”

www.newsweek.com...

I know this article is a few weeks old but what's your take on this ATS? Many of the folks here are Bundy fans so I wonder what's their take on this.

(Mods please delete this if this is posted already)
edit on 12/23/2018 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   
He's right. But people will argue those asylum seekers should go through proper vetting processes in their own country. But will completely ignore that people cant simply do that hence why they're trekking hundreds of miles to get the chance.
The whole situation is a mess and glad Bundy has finally got some sense and isnt getting in the middle of it all.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
He's right. But people will argue those asylum seekers should go through proper vetting processes in their own country. But will completely ignore that people cant simply do that hence why they're trekking hundreds of miles to get the chance.
The whole situation is a mess and glad Bundy has finally got some sense and isnt getting in the middle of it all.

What do you mean, they simply can't do it?

I simply can't own a Ferrari either. Doesn't mean I can just steal one.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Shows a lack of understanding. These people joined a well publicized roving hoard of a mix of possible criminals, drug traffickers, human traffickers, etc. not the brightest idea I can think of. TRY THAT IN ANY OTHER COUNTRY IN THE WORLD... Asylum is ALREADY specifically enumerated in our immigration process. These people do not fit that profile. Looking for a "better" life is not a qualification for asylum. That's for application for a green card, temporary citizenship or temporary visa. In order to get those you need to bring something to the table, NOT GET ON GOVT assistance. GOVT assistance is for asylum seekers that have little to no options. There is specific criteria for that. That criteria SHOULD BE and IS LIMITED. Breaking into our country by rushing the boarder is not how you apply. They were all offered to stay across the boarder and apply like everyone else. Education is key here. We have laws. ALL COUNTRIES have laws regarding citizenship, temporary visa's and asylum. I have a wonderful woman from my church who's temporary VISA is expiring and NOT approved...she has to go home to South Africa. Would she be better off sneaking through the boarder and claiming asylum?

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Just from reading the portion you quoted...

Nobody is saying they cannot apply for asylum. They are applying for asylum. Its a process. It takes time.

Nobody is saying they cannot apply for asylum and "go through the process" as Bundy said.

Edit- Just to be clear, I don't wish him dead. I respect his right to have his own opinion. I just don't agree (with the quoted portion in the OP).
edit on 12/23/2018 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Ammon and Ryan are political opportunists who benefit greatly from illegal immigrant slave labor.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   

No, I don't care that they didn't do it in their own country. I have no problem at all with them doing it the way they did it. It doesn't bother me one bit that they are living in Tijuana and applying for asylum.

But if they cross our border illegally, I have a big problem with that.

But they can live in Mexico as long as they like if they didnt want to apply from their own country. Mexico allowed them to come into Mexico, even though their cops and soldiers were attacked. If the Mexican people are okay with this sort of "Governance" who am I to say anything?

You are glad Bundy finally got some sense and isnt getting in the middle of it all?

*takes a deep breath and sighs*

I can't really respond to that without insulting your intelligence to such a degree that I feel the negativity could possibly effect me in my personal life... So, I'll just happily agree, pat you on the head and be on my way. Someone else can address the 1984 insane doublespeak going on there...

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

So someone can't come to the boarder and seek asylum?

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: gallop

Imagine going to an official office in Honduras and saying you want to immigrate into the us. How easy or hard do you think that'll be?

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Imagine going to an official office in Honduras and saying you want to immigrate into the us. How easy or hard do you think that'll be?

Traveling 50 or so miles to the nearest US embassy seems easier than traveling at least 2000 miles to our boarder.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

The only difference between a refugee and an asylum seeker is where they apply. Let them apply for refugee status at a US embassy in their country, then when approved they can come to the US.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Well if they would be granted asylum at the US border, they would also be granted refugee status at a US embassy as well.

So of they truly are seeking refuge/asylum, they would be better off doing it from home.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

I thought they were asylum seekers and not immigrants.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
It can not be allowed that a conservative voice finds fault with Trump. For all the wailing about ''group think'' believed to be the guiding essence of liberalism, the appearance of ''herd'' mentality among conservatives rings just as plausible.

Apparently Bundy has learned this. That one must march in cadence with with all conservatives loyal to Trumps drumming or face derision and ridicule. Bundy is not alone in being a conservative who finds fault with Trump only to find themselves facing the about face scorn of ardent Trump enthusiasts.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
It can not be allowed that a conservative voice finds fault with Trump. For all the wailing about ''group think'' believed to be the guiding essence of liberalism, the appearance of ''herd'' mentality among conservatives rings just as plausible.

Apparently Bundy has learned this. That one must march in cadence with with all conservatives loyal to Trumps drumming or face derision and ridicule. Bundy is not alone in being a conservative who finds fault with Trump only to find themselves facing the about face scorn of ardent Trump enthusiasts.

Not wanting your country over run by foreigners waving a flag of the snip hole country they are coming from doesn't have squat to do with Trump. It is common sense to those who still have some.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Pretty hard. Because the proper way to seek "asylum" would be go to the US embassy and request it. But they won't because they are not seeking asylum. They seek opportunity. Which is completely acceptable.

But you don't do it by drag your children thousands of miles to the border. Then attempting to kick the door in when you get there.

Why do I get the impression many of you don't understand how legal immigration and national sovereignty actually works?

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

There is ''liberal groupthink'' common sense and there is 'conservative herd mentallity'' common sense and there is no disproving one by the other.

posted on Dec, 23 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   
who cares what this guy thinks.

dont know who he is, dont care to either.

the machinations of the liberals are trotting out these drumpf-is-finished fake news losers single day, dont care, and not worth wasting any more time than i spent writing this.

top topics

join