It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN Journalist Of The Year 2014 Committed Journalistic Fraud “On A Grand Scale”

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: MindBodySpiritComplex

NO NO NO..."fake news" is not a real thing, amirite?

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: maria_stardust

It's not just One Bad Apple. It's not just CNN nor Fox. Its endemic among the profession and occurs much more than actually discovered, especially at the local level. Here is a piece of delicious irony, CNN reporting on a NY Times reporter discovered to purvey fake news.

The New York Times has concluded, after an extensive internal investigation, that one of its former reporters committed "frequent acts of journalistic fraud."

www.cnn.com...

Blair was the more famous gaffes discovered, but many others out there.

Three CNN journalists, including the executive editor in charge of a new investigative unit, have resigned after the publication of a Russia-related article that was retracted.

money.cnn.com...

Not quite the same circumstances but fake news all the same as well as the same sloppy work we come to expect of CNN.

Houston Chronicle reporter has resigned after questions arose about the existence of persons quoted in one of his stories.

m.washingtontimes.com...

A smaller version of the same story. And from this year, so it's not old fake news.

This is the bizarre moment a TV weatherman appeared to be caught faking his battle against gale-force winds during Hurricane Florence.

nypost.com...

Not just news reporters, our friendly national weather men also find it necessary to punk their viewers. But for a claim of one bad apple, is uncategorically now classified as Fake News too, good job.

Those are just a few examples, and I didnt even bother to include the venerable Dan Rather, Brian Ross, and couldn't possibly include the politicians that have embellished stories which reporters baldly run with like the gun fire on the tarmac story from one well known loser. Way too many, so not one bad apple, just a bunch of gullible viewers and readers, whether its CNN or FOX or the NY TIMES, we just believe what we read, which is why I felt the need to correct the one bad apple statement as...let's say it together...FAKE NEWS

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Looks like Fox found a new hire or probably the white house.
edit on 19-12-2018 by imrighturwrong because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2018 @ 11:19 PM
link   
It's news. It doesn't have to be real.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

Endemic is a rather strong word considering that the number of such occurrences are rather low considering the overwhelming size of the industry. The fact that industry has a tendency to publicly call out the instances as they are discovered speaks volumes to its transparency.

My guess is that these reporters are eventually caught out through the editorial staff’s fact checking department. That is far from being fake news.

If you consider the free press to be fake news, who do you trust to deliver the news in a non-fake, unadulterated, propaganda-free way?

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 12:10 AM
link   
All Mainstream News Media Outlets are nothing but fake news.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Is it false that the individual got the CNN journalist of the year? I would think CNN would validate their candidates? Where was the Facebook fact checkers?

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Who can forget this gem?

KTVU news anchor gets pranked by NTSB on Flight 214 pilot names.
m.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Majic
It's news. It doesn't have to be real.

Just sale to a target audience.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   

As you state the number is low, please explain the multitudes of evidence I have provided thru links which shows the opposite. The number we KNOW is low based upon the size of the potential pool, and only those caught are exposed, imagine the proportion we do not know.

The past two years of retractions from some of what use to be the most respected news outlets in our Free Press has been stunning in comparison to the previous 10 years, least we forget the numerous tweets from biased reporters that are also proven to be outright biased lies which are simply deleted but never corrected, and the damage at that point is done.

I have worked as part of the Free Press for many more years than I am willing to admit and have seen it all first hand. People will do anything to get ahead, and many instances of fraud uncovered goes unreported. The very extensive examples I provided are only the tip of the iceberg, only revealed publically because they were to be uncovered by other journalists with actual integrity and armed with the real facts.

The internet has become a garden of lies, for all factions. They use anonymous blogs to publish hit piece after hitpiece, knowing that the facts are not factual at all, then turn around and publish the material based upon the anonymous story published by so and so, without repercussions because it was published already, and since they themselves were already the original source for the internet publisher, anonymity protects that from ever being uncovered. How many stories, or details have been published based on Reddit posts ?

Headlines will glare one thing, Drudge, Fox, CNN, and especially organizations of the Free Press like Washington Post and NY Times, in the actual body of the story will say something else. You ask who I trust, sadly none but myself. The only way to discover the truth is from facts I gather myself. This is not to say these same organizations do not on occassion publish truthful stories, but always control the impact of the article for the reader they wish to reach.

I have for awhile wished to prepare a thread on how articles are worded, the information included and revealed, can easily be slanted to convey the message they want the reader to believe. They ALL have agendas of their own. Whether a story about climate change, which contains false numbers from the scientific community and includes a story of a starving polar bear, only later to learn the starving polar bear had nothing to do with climate change, and the fake numbers are not revealed, but the reporter writing the story only wants you to conclude that, careful they do not make those claims, but imply them to the reader so it is believed to be the case.

It's not fake news, but planted biased opinions, whether it's a real starving polar bear or just a doctored picture with zero factual information of what actually transpired. That from National Geographic whom most likely would benefit tremendously from climate change money, after all, someone has to save the starving polar bears. Today, our politicians are experts at the 30 second soundbite. Yesterdays passing of the justice reform package with bipartisan support is a good example, some Republican members are now against it because "child molesters will get out early" which is not true but they can say it, many will hear or read it and it becomes their truth.

I suppose it's a part of who we are as humans that we manipulate one another but make no mistakes. The dumbing down of the majority of the public is intentional, those who glance over headlines, or those who gather their news from biased internet blogs like Buzzfeed, or True Pundit, or just word of mouth from others are indeed vulnerable from the endemic plague of influence peddling that exist in our Free Press, one only needs to pay attention.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

It seems to me you are looking for an excuse to bash CNN. This isn’t even their journalist. But, I do get that you don’t like them. Fair enough.

Is it false that the individual got the CNN journalist of the year?

That point has not been disputed.

I would think CNN would validate their candidates?

I would imagine the burden of validation would rest on each journalist’s editorial department. You would have to research CNN’s award selection procedure.

Where was the Facebook fact checkers?

Not sure where you’re going with this. What has this got to do with the price of tea in China?

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

As you have worked extensively in the industry, then you would know that these are isolated incidents and not the norm. Even if we were to consider the unknown number of incidents that remain either undiscovered or undisclosed, I imagine it would still remain relatively small considering the size of the industry.

Also, you provided a handful of examples, not multitudes. None are being disputed, yet each are isolated cases. That is a far cry from being the norm.

A better question would be this: Has there been a decline in journalistic standards?

I believe that with the integration of the internet in our everyday lives, that there has come to be an unrealistic sense of urgency when it comes to releasing information. We want things, and we want them now. In the rush to be first to release breaking news, there is less time to complete a thorough job of fact checking. Now that usually comes after the news has been released, as opposed to before.

As far as editorial bias goes, that’s more in the realm of pundits and op/ed. Completely different from straight forward journalism.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   

It’s CNN own award, it’s their job to screen candidates, is that false. Why would you let somebody else decide who is worthy of your own award.

Yes. I am bashing CNN. It’s basically a bunch of self important people, creating meaningless awards (hence the CNN award going to a fraud), giving awards to promote their own self importance, with little regard for truth, and killing journalism by promoting a product for a target audience wrapped in false narratives fraudulently push as truth. An industry so blind that it rewards fraudulent reporters.
edit on 20-12-2018 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

edit on 20-12-2018 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Facebook was supposed to check the truthfulness of news stories posted on their site. Is that faslse. I wonder if the individual got the seal of truth by social media outlets who claimed they were going to fact check news stories posted on their media. So, yes. The Facebook thing could be very relevant.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
Really? he works for CNN.. They put reporters in creeks to make it look like its flooded. of course its not just one bad apple.
Fake news...ironic tool to define fake news.

posted on Dec, 20 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Since I have worked in the business both radio and television, i can tell you with honesty that they are not isolated incidents. They occur everyday in one form or another, most of the time much smaller scale like recreations of an event without informing viewers that it is just that. Or, finding relatives to play witness to an event they didnt actually view, or just any person standing around a scene.

Reporters often invent sources in order to get a story printed since they could not find an actual source. Doesn't mean the story is necessarily false nor the information conveyed is incorrect, but because they cannot get away with using anonymous sources they simply invent one. Still wrong, and much of the time it's some stupid fluff piece instead of hard news.

You mention journalistic integrity, many have never looked up the definition much less practice integrity. It's all about getting in front of a camera for those willing participants who fake witness something and always about climbing that ladder of success, getting noticed in a very large pool of talent. It depends how far they are willing to go to achieve those desires, which I guess is where the little integrity they do have comes into play, are they willing to submit a story they know is false for a nomination for an award like a Nobel.

The Pulitzer Prize Committee withdrew its feature-writing prize from Washington Post reporter Janet Cooke yesterday after she admitted that her award-winning story was a fabrication.

www.jclass.umd.edu...

It's been going on forever. How many examples would you consider to be problematic. Personally I find one to be a problem, I suppose my own integrity is in the way, as long as the story meets the agenda or angle being pushed.

On Monday, The New Yorker’s Jonah Lehrer resigned from the magazine after admitting he fabricated quotes from Bob Dylan in his new book.

www.politico.com...

In 1921, New York World reporter Louis Seibold won a Pulitzer Prizefor an interview he conducted with President Woodrow Wilson. The problem: Wilson was incapacitated due to a stroke, and the interview was faked 

As I said, it's been going on for a very long time, in many countries, in many languages and in many forms beside just print and television, need we discuss the number of fake biographies and autobiography that have been published and later found to contain falsehoods ?

I am not claiming it to be a right or left issue, as you can see from one link I provided that reporters from Fox and a whole array of other news organizations that its us just systemic to the industry on general. We can put our heads in the sand and say it's just a few but no, yellow journalism and outright deliberately falsified news occurs daily.

Sometimes it's from personal gain, other occurrences are for agenda driven policies dictated by the authorities in charge of the news rooms. Believe it or not, I have observed it first hand, voice any objections and its laughed off.

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: MindBodySpiritComplex

This has been happening for quite some time, but became more pronounced since Trump became the main candidate for POTUS.

This "fake" journalist, like many others, invented "fake news" which the left-wing media loves to do. Yes, sometimes "right-wing" media also lies, but lately the left-wing media has won the award for "most fake news."

This is one of the fake claims he made up...

The colleague, Juan Moreno, eventually tracked down two alleged sources quoted extensively by Relotius in the article, which was published in November. Both said they had never met Relotius. Relotius had also lied about seeing a hand-painted sign that readMexicans keep out”, a subsequent investigation found.

www.theguardian.com...

Such "fake news" have not only been done by mainstream journalists, but we have had people claim attacks on mosques, or some other sites, were caused by "right-wingers" yet investigations found that many of these "attacks" were done by those who want to blame "the right" even for imagined, and fake attacks.

edit on 22-12-2018 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join