It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2018 Deadliest Year for Rappers. 26 Killed or ODed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   
So I was watching a VladTV interview and it was mentioned that 2018 is the deadliest year ever for rappers with 26 deaths. WTF?

Could you imagine if 26 country singers died this year? Or 26 opera singers? 26 R&B singers? 26 Rock singers?

I am a huge hip hop fan, but older so I grew up during the golden age. My frame of reference are the greats like Rakim, Kool G Rap, KRS-One, Outkast, Nas, Jay-Z, etc...

Anyway, I feel like hip hop has turned into kind of a minstrel show glorifying drugs and death. The number of deaths highlights this fact. Granted, given the ease of producing your own music / videos, a lot of these "rappers" weren't really out of the street sh*t, so their deaths aren't surprising. The number of ODs is also surprising, but I guess not really given being a drug addict is cool nowadays.

Discuss...

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Well, helps with material for the genre.

So they gotz dat goinz fur dem.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Do you want to see my shocked face?
When you play with fire..

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Yeah the rap game is tuff, but let us ban It's Cold Outside because that song has caused a lot more people to die.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 03:43 PM
link   

It's sad when creatives self-destruct. They often live lives of extreme highs and lows, using and abusing substances to reach states that might be easily reached through prayer and meditation with a little practice. There is every reason to enter that type of success with extreme caution, and sobriety.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I think it’s more that deaths across all areas are way up. Take the disregard for human life that most impoverished areas are known for, mix it with less money, less hope of change, add fentanyl and you have 2018.

It’s a miracle we all aren’t dead at this point.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
It’s a miracle we all aren’t dead at this point.

Surely there is an upside to our tenacity?

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Except this time they are not killing each other...TPTB are picking them off one by one by one.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I'm confused but not surprised.

Confused because isn't rap mostly about G Thug Gangbanging Pimpin Hoes Gettin Got Cash Me Ow-side?

I'm not surprised because it's rap. I mean, the oxymoron in this case would be something like "M C Healthy Lifestyle" or "M C Don't Gotta Gun".

Still scratching my head on your surprise and bewilderment. That's like saying someone ratted on Hillary and you're surprised they commited suicide.

edit on 10-12-2018 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I’m struggling to find a source for this claim.

Do you have one? It might just be some schmuck in tv talking schmuckness. Never believe anything you hear in tv.

Edit - to clarify, I don’t mean “everything in tv is a lie”. I mean you should look for evidence from a reliable source before believing anything in the media.

(Had to state the obvious before madness ensued).
edit on 10-12-2018 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-12-2018 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I don't like rap, so I don't care.

And I don't have any sympathy for junkies or gangbangers, so it sounds like a win/win to me.

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   

shocking revelations...

normally rap is associated with peace love and growth and positivity

posted on Dec, 10 2018 @ 11:59 PM
link   
It's strange how the rap/hip hop community get a pass as far as guns are concerned. Gun control, women's rights, and love is the answer says the radio dj. Then plays a song about bitches, guns, and trash talk. The world loves it. Can you flow breh? Git a sick beat breh? It glorifies the exact opposite of the world we want to see. It's a culture of materialism and beef. Words that promote violence. And we can't get enough. Repeat a simple phrase about drugs and my d##k to a dope beat and your rich. Repeat something that promotes peace or education, and it gets, like, 10 likes. Oh well, it's ok, we love our mumble rappers and gangster grudges, solved by talking smack and ultimately with guns, cuz we hard as f#$&. Tupac? Tony Montana? Kids wear the shirts to elementary school. All good. Maga hats?.... Krs one. Dope. Outkast is my favorite hippity hop.

I read a story about a Chinese emperor way back when who would listen to the music that each province or region made and he could tell how that region was doing. He knew it was a direct reflection of the society that produced it.
edit on 11-12-2018 by Starhooker because: Whaaaat?

top topics

join