It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'SpongeBob SquarePants' cartoon series creator dies at age 57

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   

"We are incredibly saddened by the news that Steve Hillenburg has passed away following a battle with ALS.

He was a beloved friend and long-time creative partner to everyone at Nickelodeon, and our hearts go out to his entire family," Nickelodeon said in a statement.

Hillenburg said in 2017 that he was suffering from the neurodegenerative disease ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

link

Sad news coming down for children and those who had nostalgia for one of the most popular cartoons in the last decade.

Many of my nieces and nephews love this show. I'm curious if they'll keep it going.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

One of my favorites. I know a lot of parents would not let their kids watch spongebob and I never understood why. It was absolutely hilarious. #Squidward4eva

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

One of my favorites. I know a lot of parents would not let their kids watch spongebob and I never understood why. It was absolutely hilarious. #Squidward4eva

I think people misinterpret loony cartoon creators goofiness for trying to be nefarious.

I too could watch it as an adult if I was trying to humor children, they did a good job at catering to all audiences.

For the most part I think it was a wholesome children's cartoon.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Well, that really sucks.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Well, that really sucks.

Yea, especially the cause of death.

He didn't leave this world without impact though.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Actually a little bummed. There were a number of years in the 90's and 2000's where the only time I got any rest was when Spongebob was on.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools

Actually a little bummed. There were a number of years in the 90's and 2000's where the only time I got any rest was when Spongebob was on.

Aye aye captain.

Let us all toast some run to fallen sailor.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Well that really sucks.

My condolences to his family, and may he, and his family find peace.

May his spirit move into the highest realms of bikini-bottom.

edit on 27-11-2018 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
He was also a marine biologist and teacher too...so it is a tough loss for the cartoon community. I watched a bunch of his shows and he was a funny creator no doubt. I wonder who will take over his stead, if that happens.

RIP this man. ALS is not a nice disease at all and he had so much more to give.

S&F

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   

The Spongebob Squarepants series was the epitome of stupid in a far too serious world.

This is saddening news.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

SpongeBob is one of a class of TV shows. They tend to help erode attention span along with too much screen time from other sources.

University of Virginia psychology professor Angeline Lillard, the lead author, said Nickelodeon's "SpongeBob" shouldn't be singled out. She found similar problems in kids who watched other fast-paced cartoon programming.

She said parents should realize that young children are compromised in their ability to learn and use self-control immediately after watching such shows. "I wouldn't advise watching such shows on the way to school or any time they're expected to pay attention and learn," she said.

So, yeah, ours never watched it because he was the wrong age at the wrong time and has enough problems with impulse control without watching shows like SpongeBob and others similar.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I don't believe that study for one minute

The study has several limitations. For one thing, the kids weren't tested before they watched TV.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   

The study has several limitations. For one thing, the kids weren't tested before they watched TV.

That's fine. You don't have to. I'm just pointing out why a lot of parents didn't let their kids watch it.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Sad news, lots of great memories as a youngster. Even still as an adult. Some of my favorite episodes:

No weenies allowed, I'm with stupid, culture shock, Atlantis, krusty krab training video, band geeks, mid life crustacean (my all time favorite).

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

May his soul rest in Atlantis.

posted on Nov, 27 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

That's fine. You don't have to. I'm just pointing out why a lot of parents didn't let their kids watch it.

If that is the reason parents don't, I feel the kids missed out on an awesome show.
Not sure about other "studies" but that one is seriously flawed.

Here is an interesting article on the subject.

Most studies of the impact of television, however, are seriously flawed. They compare kids who watch TV and kids who don't, when kids in those two groups live in very different environments. Kids who watch no TV, or only a small amount of educational programming, as a group are from much wealthier families than those who watch hours and hours.

www.slate.com...
edit on 27-11-2018 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

join