It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hardwood plant cuttings blew my mind (gardening)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Softwood/new growth cuttings always die for me. Virginia creeper, bleeding heart, paulownia...they all died. Only English ivy survived. Oh, and pothos.

Last September, I just HAD to have a cutting from my sister's Black Knight buddleia (butterfly bush.) I took 6, and once home, trawled the internet on how to keep them alive. As it was fall, they were woody.

Well, my friends, I found THIS: How to grow hardwood cuttings -Empress of Dirt

1. Take cutting
2. Stick in dirt.
3. Wait a year.

Rooting hormone is recommended, but I didn't have any. Temps should be in the 50s-60s.

Guess what. In October, I discovered that cuttings are doing GREAT. Took one out, and yep, rooted like a pro. They're out in the cold frame now, still have leaves.

Took a bunch of cuttings from native species in the woods on private land. Fingers crossed.

Now go forth, and propagate free plants to your heart's content.
edit on 020182018k23009America/Chicagothpm by Look2theSacredHeart because: Spelling

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   
that sounds so cool, im going to try it indoors

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TimHeller

Do you have a particular plant in mind?

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I thought hardwood trees were like coniferous trees; when a cutting roots it doesn't turn into a tree, only a branch.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

I thought hardwoods were a no go, too. It's like a miracle that they root.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Look2theSacredHeart

Congrats! That's really cool. I've seen the Black Knight and its really stunning. Lucky you

I've read about propagating roses -- and most plants -- by sticking a fresh cut branch of new growth into a potato and then planting it all in soil. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm inspired to try now -- thank you! I have a gorgeous red rose that I'd love to multiply. Its a perfect red with huge blooms and petals that you'd swear were velvet. And it's my most prolific bloomer by far. I have no idea where I'd put it, but I'll figure it out...

top topics

join