It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shout out to people from Alaska or other places with cops an hour away...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I posted this in another thread as a comment but I'm interested in it as a topic...

...and I'm free as #, I break any stupid laws which don't agree with my ethical and moral codes all the time, always have.
Freedom is a concept of the mind facing control from the hardest gang in town...right now it's the government on paper, but in my daily life it is non governmental.
Laws are just guidance depending on the penalty if I take the risk breaking it or not lol.

So what do ya think ATS? Am I a dangerous criminal or someone who lives in a world of criminals and next to zero police?
I like my world for the record, we police ourselves, so in that spirit I wonder what it's like in remote places like Alaska and the boonies?
edit on 13-11-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: see the reply from roadgravel lol, I originally said 'no cops' but meaning none around in ten minutes or whatever

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
When did Alaska lose all of it's law enforcement?

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

www.rd.com...

Have you ever read these? Some are quite amusing.
The great part is that most are not enforced anyways.

In Alaska it is illegal to be drunk… in a bar. Per state laws, a person who is already drunk may not “knowingly” enter a bar to drink more, or remain in the bar that got them drunk in the first place. Confusing and cruel? Yes. Outdated? Sadly, no—police actually enforce it. (Think that’s a waste of time? Just listen to these real, idiotic 911 calls.)

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel
Lol, I assumed cops were hours away for some folk in Alaska, same as they can be here in my parts...maybe I should edit the headline OP.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm
Haha it is illegal to sell alcohol to someone intoxicated in the UK...that's like millions of people breaking the law every weekend night in the nation!
That is a silly law which isn't enforced here for sure, if you can walk without holding on to something you'll get served lol

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 11:37 AM
link   

If only all of us were so lucky!

I think the states would be a much better place if Law Enforcement only answered calls to major felonies. ....and this coming from a former police officer. Go back to protecting and serving, not micromanaging lifestyles and personas.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   

For some? They are. I lived in places in Alaska where the only law enforcement is one state trooper. One. ...and it's quite literally, hours away...assuming he can get there without a boat or airplane.

The bush is wonderful that way. Of course, paramedics and what have you may be almost as far away, though most communities do have EMT's, or physicians assistants who can usually be on site quickly. Same can not be said for the poor state trooper...

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

For some? They are. I lived in places in Alaska where the only law enforcement is one state trooper. One. ...and it's quite literally, hours away...assuming he can get there without a boat or airplane.

The bush is wonderful that way. Of course, paramedics and what have you may be almost as far away, though most communities do have EMT's, or physicians assistants who can usually be on site quickly. Same can not be said for the poor state trooper...
Cool story, that was the kind of stuff I wanted to read.

So you police yourselves as well in the way you interact with each other?

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   

there are many people here that have to wait a half hour or more for the police to show up. We live in the UP of Michigan. Most thieves know that the majority of houses have guns around here, they usually do not try to break in while someone is home. They won't have a chance to get out of jail free because of plea bargaining and lenient judges if they are dead.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
I posted this in another thread as a comment but I'm interested in it as a topic...

...and I'm free as #, I break any stupid laws which don't agree with my ethical and moral codes all the time, always have.
Freedom is a concept of the mind facing control from the hardest gang in town...right now it's the government on paper, but in my daily life it is non governmental.
Laws are just guidance depending on the penalty if I take the risk breaking it or not lol.

So what do ya think ATS? Am I a dangerous criminal or someone who lives in a world of criminals and next to zero police?
I like my world for the record, we police ourselves, so in that spirit I wonder what it's like in remote places like Alaska and the boonies?

G'day my friend...I'm reminded of the phrase that based on your ascertion of having great distances btwn help and life and death.

"I'd rather have a gun at my fingers...than a phone to the police". (who may be minutes to a hr away.)..no help if death or injury is in your face RIGHT NOW.

Thanks...have a great day!

MS
EMT
LICENSED CONCEALED carrier

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
Gun ownership sounds sensible in your parts, I'd have one for sure.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

I've not lived up there for some years now...

But in many villages, especially the native villages, there are tribal, or village, councils who handle much of the day to day stuff.

There are always the trouble makers, of course, but for the most part, in my experience anyway, yes, there's a lot of self-policing going on.

But when the proverbial poo hits the equally proverbial fan...the cops are sometimes quite a ways away. They, all things considered, do a remarkable job. Not one I'd ever do...but respect to 'em. Tough job, and they're, again in my experience, just as tough.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Fair enough. I live in a place where police wouldn't arrive for an hour on average. And people may question why people own firearms under conditions such as mine or others here.
edit on 11/13/2018 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger
We're allowed bows and stuff, even shotguns and rifles.
I love my Barnett Commando xbow, 1980's worth more than I paid for it now, the cocking mechanism is so quick compared to other bows.
...and we can use reasonable force with home invaders in the UK, I stabbed a burglar years ago, no court appearance.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Uhh sorry,

I have been to almost every city in Alaska.

The majority of you live in squalor. A lot of your residents are flat broke. Your government is 2.5 Billion in the hole. You give into Oil companies demands regularly. The legislatures are clowns who are WAYYYYY over paid and literally have to make S*** up every session to vote on to stay/seem important. #1 for STDs, Alcoholism, Suicide, and crime. I really loved the shooting in downtown Anchorage during a concert in which everyone ran for their lives, that was great fun. Did I mention strange disappearances all the time? Yes, such a lovely state...

Some of it is pretty, Whittier was spectacular as is the drive there and from FB to Anchorage. Otherwise, You are what NK is to China for the USA. Oh and I love that it's recreation legal there to smoke too. Northern Lights, those are great too.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I've heard that if you report a crime in New York, it can take days for the Police to respond.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Traffic ya know?? Try getting an ambulance in rush hour, better walk to the hospital or yer dead! Most cops here don’t give a #, pay sucks.people are worse a reply to: chr0naut

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

The majority live in squalor??

Really? Not that I noticed, and I only lived and traveled in Alaska for better part of 15 years...

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Well I live in the middle of the UK and it's worse than Alaska. Now the police don't even turn up, phone em and they give you a crime number. Bbbuuutt, smack a thieving scrote across the head for breaking into your house or car and the man will be on your doorstep within minutes of said scrote informing the law.
They haven't got the manpower to attend social crime but they've just started a new blitz around here. New 20 MPH zones and they're out in force with their new state of the art speed cameras. Next month it will be the annual drink/drive campaign, they'll be out in force for that as well.

posted on Nov, 14 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed
Good for their crime tackling statistics, drivers in a 20 zone are easy pickings.
I've only ever called cops twice, once when I stabbed a burglar, and second when my neighbour had a violent stalker and I wanted advice about reasonable force and citizens arrest. I didn't get charged for stabbing the burglar, and the stalker got convicted on my evidence, win win.

new topics

top topics

join