It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you pay to play?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Here in the states you cannot go out independently and self-employ in the first few years of a trade, and for a good reason.

Too many liabilities and paperwork. Need at least 3 years in a trade here to go the self-employed route.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99
You don't register as a trade just general services sole trader self employed so when you buy tools, vehicle etc you claim it all back from taxes paid as an employee when your business makes a loss.
It is a fantastic legal way for people to start a business and instead of paying taxes from the employed income you pay for your tools.
Totally legal as well.
edit on 8-10-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: clarity

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   

We get to write all of that off as expense as employees here as well. Every dime spent work related is a write off.

Just takes a few years to be eligible for a contracting license.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   
We can contract with whoever we like without licences in private business.
The deal is the contractor must meet health and safety standards for the finished job.
Also, being self employed you are personally liable, but a limited liability company is cheap and easy to set up with one other person.
It's a game to be fair.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Here in the states you need TONS (metric) of insurance to cover yourself.

Dickheads out here like to file insurance claims for EVERYTHING.

Example, the company I work for sent me to a call to check out an inop AC at a residence. This is a package unit, on the roof, completely separate from any plumbing in the house.

The day after my visit to inspect the AC, my company gets a call stating their plumbing is malfunctioning ever since I inspected their air conditioner.

It was explained that in no way was I possible for any plumbing issues, yet these people still took my company to court and tried to sue for $30,000.

My company won the case, but it's that reason they have an expense of a company attorney

People in the US are sue happy. If they think they can make a buck they will.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   
My casting agent get's 10% of my SAG Union gigs and 10% of residuals when and if any come in.

It's worth every cent as she's the one getting me the auditions. Out of every 15 auditions, I might get 1 part in a film or TV series, if
I'm lucky.

On the indy movies where I get the part myself the agent doesn't get any percentage. Sometime I give her a %age anyway.
IATSE gigs, the union gets dues, that's all after the initial "join" fee.

Livin the dream and I would do it for free....it's that much fun!!!

Currently on a union crew shooting campaign spots for the GOP candidates for Nov. 6.... $$$$$$

edit on 8-10-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Litigation definitely seems different on your side of the pond to here. Someone tried a claim against my son and the plumber he was working for, totally made up spurious claim about falling masonry when drilling through an outside wall for a new boiler vent.
They lost because my son filmed the whole thing while acting as safety guy on ground floor.

I was doing my own job at the same building some months later and challenged the prick who brought the case. He called the police on me # scared he was getting a beating, the cops laughed when I explained because they knew of him as a regular waste of their time, and I carried on fitting the new window while mocking the guy from above.

He will pay for it somehow one day though...and not through the civil court.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
Haha cool story!

...a long way from gigging at dive bars now then?
Bet you have good memories of those days though...I'm sure you told me about that in another thread.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
Haha cool story!

...a long way from gigging at dive bars now then?
Bet you have good memories of those days though...I'm sure you told me about that in another thread.

It was fun but the music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.....HST

The film/TV biz is very similar, but pays so much better.

edit on 8-10-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Lol

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   

I work a lot of hours for my primary job.
Training, HR and medical billing.
I work with intellectually and developmentally disabled folk, both them and staff that are hired to support them.

The other times I work side jobs remodeling and deck building.
I work with a very small crew of friends and family.

I have plans, YUGE plans! Most of my money from my primary go to bills, health insurance, retirement etc. My second job is for fun. Savings (yes that's first on list), and play although I have had a set back this year with some family issues.
The phone still rings off of the hook and I send referrals to friends that I know are honest and dependable. I just don't have time at the moment. I've inherited some...things...and am trying to put those to good use to secure not only my future but, those that I love.

I have a plan. It's a future endeavor. I am focused on that and will achieve it. My youngest starts college soon and when she is graduated and settled, the fun begins for me.

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird
Ah your plans sound excellent!

Definitely a born again feeling when our kids become independent, mine lives in the house next door to me and wakes me up in the morning with a bang on my door because he knows I'm crap at getting up for work...he starts earlier than me so it is a good arrangement lol
...is that a beach and hot weather I hear calling you?

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
Ah your plans sound excellent!

Definitely a born again feeling when our kids become independent, mine lives in the house next door to me and wakes me up in the morning with a bang on my door because he knows I'm crap at getting up for work...he starts earlier than me so it is a good arrangement lol
...is that a beach and hot weather I hear calling you?

You know it is!!!

It's sad the way that I've become suddenly closer to my dream (almost) but, if there is any happiness to be found it is that I am closer and I believe that must have crossed this person's mind.

Glad to see you joining the ranks of working stiffs and trying 5 days a week for a change!
What doesn't kill us makes us wish we were dead LOL!

posted on Oct, 8 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I'll smile for you and anyone chasing their dreams.

...don't get too confident with my 5 day week yet, it's only Tuesday and I haven't fallen asleep to wake up for it, wide awake on phone in bed 2.30am.
I've gotta work though can't let a guy down lots of plastering to do tomorrow/later lol

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   
A night or two a week serving behind a bar and a few days a week with a contractor doing renovations/repairs/maintenance/construction.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: wheresthebody
Haha we sound similar except the bar work, I love fixing and building things. I've been plastering today, full two coat spread over the whole walls and ceilings. Looks like I'll actually do 5 full days this week for a change, I need the cash this week to be fair (always take cash payment), but because there is so much work available I pick and choose just enough for my needs and wants.
2-3 days a week is my average if I can make that happen and cover everything.

...I'd be a millionaire years ago if I wasn't so lazy

edit on 9-10-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Avoidance of tax is legal in the UK, just evasion is not. I've done courier, I quite enjoyed it, only did a summer but got to visit loads of places in Britain which I'd never been to before.

hehe...correct on "avoidance" same here as well.

The new places/faces on new routes is one of the benefits of driving around.

posted on Oct, 11 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Lol, I love that Aus understands the difference legally between avoidance and evasion.
It's a game is all.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join