It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Cheney quit and Condi Rice become Vice President?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I've been hearing rumors through the political grapevine that Dick Cheney may step down as Vice President in the next year or so, and that President Bush will replace him by nominating Condoleeza Rice as Vice President.

I could see two main reasons for doing this, if it were to actually happen -- (1) job-wise, he'd still have an intelligent, loyal Vice President; and (2) politically, he would thumb his nose at the Democrats by having the first woman and the first African-American Vice President at the same time. (Most people think the first woman and/or African-American Vice President or President will be a Democrat, due to their status as working for minorities; I think many Democrats would have a "That was supposed to be our moment of glory!" reaction to it, like President Bush stole their long-building thunder or something.)

I have no idea if there is any truth to this rumor or not, but I wanted to post it here to get everyone's reactions, and confirmations that this is a real possibility if there is any.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Condi as VP scares me ... I still don't understand the incident where she was referring to Dub as her husband.

But that still would, ostensibly, be better than H.R. (Her Regalness) Clinton in the Presidency.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
It makes perfect sense, therefore I believe it will never happen.

Everyone knows that the DEM's are setting Hillary up for 2008. It is the only card they have to play. Bush is a lame duck President, VP Cheney has a bad heart and has said numerous times that he has no ambition to be President. If Cheney steps down, Rice becomes the new VP and we have a seated African/American/Female VP to trump Hillary and pull the Black vote away from the DEM's. Bush is a lot of things but he is not stupid. I am sure the REP's have weighed this scenerio over and over. If the REP's want to keep the White House then it is their best move. A national poll was just released yesterday saying Americans are ready for a female President.
Some timing huh?

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   
wow, that would be scary.... just imagine....

but at least she would be the first black/woman as VP, plz correct me if im wrong... just goin on comon knowledge

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Jeb and Condi ticket is what I see in the future election.

Kerry is to pompass to be popular again.

The ticket that could not lose the next election would be Powel and Clinton ticket.

Those two together in whatever configuration would be unbeatable. Powell would have to actually admit he was a liberal though heh.

X

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Rice will NEVER be VP and...

The ticket that could not lose the next election would be Powel and Clinton ticket.

This Powell/Clinton ticket doesn't have a prayer. See if anyone can beat Biden!! No one can and no one will!

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Now that is humorous!! and...will NEVER happen!! What qualifications do either of them have? What...Jeb is qualified because he's a Bush and Condi is qualified for?.....FOR NOTHING!!! She is useless!! Oh but wait, so are all politicians!!

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Politically it would be a good idea for Condi to become VP, but only IF Cheney steps down (seems unlikely imo). What's this about a Powell/Clinton ticket? What the heck party would nominate that? I love Condoleeza, but I don't think she's going up any further in this administration. JEB may or may not run - he will not get the nomination if McCain decides to try for the ticket again. As far as Powell for president he really can't run for personal reasons can he? Hasn't and isn't his wife too ill? (Like it or not, the first lady is a hectic and very important PR slot) He would make a good president, but probably isn't conservative enough for my tastes. Also, I believe he is a very qualified and honorable individual, however, he's black. Dance around it all you like but there will be some people who would not vote for him simply because of that fact regardless of party affiliation.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Rice is a worse speaker then Bush, Go ahead GOP and you will only be helping the democrats

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Why would bush nominate Rice? He obviously wants her as Sec of State. Wolfowitz or Rove would be more likely to leave their current positions no?

Anyone like that idea?

Originally posted by ThunderCloud
I've been hearing rumors through the political grapevine that Dick Cheney may step down as Vice President in the next year or so, and that President Bush will replace him by nominating Condoleeza Rice as Vice President.

Ammendment 25 section 2
Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

Yes, the scenario is possible. Its also possible that the democrats will reject rice, and it may be advisable, to prevent a precedent from being set. Why is this rumour around now? Bush could nominate a private citizen, it has nothing to do with her being Sec of State.

politically, he would thumb his nose at the Democrats by having the first woman and the first African-American Vice President at the same time

If he wanted that tho he could've run with her. And it would set a poor precedent for installing people who didn't run on the ticket.

xeven

Powell is a republican and will not run with an arch-democrat. He's more likely to run on the republican ticket than that. He's a loyal party member, similiar to McCain.

zabilgy
See if anyone can beat Biden!! No one can and no one will!

Is that a joke? I've never heard biden running before, doesn't seem to be very likely. Gore is the likely 2008 candidate.

What qualifications do either of them have

Jeb is governor of Florida, and thus has the same qaulifications as Dubya. Rice will have been NSA and Sec of Def, which makes her more qaulified than, well, anyone to run for pres.

Personally, I don't see Jeb Bush running. Perhaps in the future his latino son will run.

Imagine if rice, powell, and this hispanic bush all were in the office of hte executive at one time or another. It'd make the Bush family the biggest supporters of ethnic progressivism and whatnot in the country.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by firestarter666
wow, that would be scary.... just imagine....

but at least she would be the first black/woman as VP, plz correct me if im wrong... just goin on comon knowledge

I believe our 21st president, Chester Arthur, had a black female VP, but then again, I attended public schools.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Man, thats so wrong. Don't be a dolt.

Chester Arthur was the black female vice president.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
She did a horrible job as National Security Advisor....and got promoted.

It would be viewed as a "logical" progession in some camps. I just get a kick out of Bu#es touting that 'yes man' as capable!
However, will the Rove machine go so polar opposite to the "Southern Strategy"? Pretty damn impossible.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Not to sound racist, because I'm not, but Condi wouldn't last long as VP...there's still too much racism in this country. That's the whole reason Powell won't run either...he'd be assassinated faster than you can say KKK.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
This would nail the coffin shut on the democratic party pretending to be pro-black yet slamming rice. The dems couldn't call republicans racists anymore and that would be awesome!

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zabilgy

Now that is humorous!! and...will NEVER happen!! What qualifications do either of them have? What...Jeb is qualified because he's a Bush and Condi is qualified for?.....FOR NOTHING!!! She is useless!! Oh but wait, so are all politicians!!

Erm Jeb is a the Governor of Florida. Being a governor seems to qualify you to run for president. I think though that you just need to be a Natural US citizen age 36 and up and get a bunch of sinatures to qualify to run for president...

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
The Republicans will not do anything this early. They will want to keep their options open. Cheney will struggle on for at least 2 more years. They need his money.

I can see Condi and Jeb on the same ticket next time round.

Hillary and whoever they pick to run with her will be a tough team to beat.

I think to make it at least a fair fight they should team her up with Micheal Moore.

Cheers

BHR

top topics

join