It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traumatic Brain Injury (according to the USAF)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Anyone have any real world knowledge on this?

I ask because while trying to come off IRR, I ran into an insanely stupid request form the USAF.

Back in 1995 before I joined the air, now they want me tested for TBI as well as get a new MRI for my back.

Looking on the Mayo Clinic all I see are steps for right after the incident for testing and such, not sure how you test for something that happened 20 odd years ago.

I know the USAF is trying to Force shape me away, but depending on the cost to get the tests done I may actually push this to see how much I can turn back on to them if they still say no.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Signs of TBI will show up in CAT scans and MRIs years after the initial injury.

Go and get the MRIs and get yourself checked out in any way they ask. You never know what you've been exposed to.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

What did you do in your job?

I have some friends who were in heavy weapons and fired a lot of rockets, who now are showing signs of brain injury.

Might be a CYA on the part of the Department of Defense and the VA.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 06:52 PM
link   
That's the weird thing to me, it occurred in a car accident 2 years before I joined. Yet they never questioned it when I went to be a Flight Engineer.

But get diagnosed with ADHD and you cant be a flight engineer anymore its nuts.

Have to find a PCM, then I can start running down the process, the recruiter is supposed to get what actual tests I need done and then I can go from there,

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Hold on, are you in the IRR right now? I am confused. Are you trying to go back active or reserve?

I have a friend that works at the VA who might be able to help. SHe is a vet and very proactive for fighting for their rights.
edit on 17-9-2018 by JasonBillung because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: JasonBillung

Currently I am IRR, I was both active and reserve before 2014 when my active duty wife got orders over seas so I had to go IRR.

The concussion happened prior to me joining, I remember because if I had gone unconscious when I wrecked my truck I never would have gotten in but the concussion just required me to be symptom free for 2 or 3 years (cant remember exactly its been 20 years) , apparently the regulations were changed in the last year or two.

posted on Sep, 18 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
Signs of TBI will show up in CAT scans and MRIs years after the initial injury.

Go and get the MRIs and get yourself checked out in any way they ask. You never know what you've been exposed to.

They do? I've had a few concussions in my time- a couple serious ones, too (like being kicked in the head while I was being robbed)- and had an MRI recently because I was having seizures. It came back, clean as a whistle- or so I was told.

I am officially mystified.

top topics

join