It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Netflix not a video service provider

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
I hope Pirate bay and other p2p sites, and Kodi is paying attention.

Netflix just gave them ALL a get out of jail free card, and are owed the monies paid back for fines.

That's apples and oranges.

Netflix pays the content creators for whatever they stream.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   
In my area of Missouri, the Utility companies own the poles. To be specific the Electrical Utility. Everyone else pays a fee to them and they pass it to me in my bill.

But this doesn't surprise me, municipalities all over the state are starting to pull this #. For example my town passed an ordinance stating ; If I buy a car out of state, I still owe sales tax to the city.... I don't understand how that's legal.

EDIT: Not only this the State it'self is contemplating a special fuel tax for smart cars & electric vehicles... Why ? Because they are not paying their "fair share" of the MO. fuel tax that regular car owners pay. Of course Obama care has set a precidence for taxing activities and behaviors you didn't engage in.

edit on 14-9-2018 by CrawlingChaos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   
They should just cancel service to areas that want to charge a tax and the people can be upset with the politicians they’ve elected.

ETA: Perfect example of government getting involved and causing prices to rise.
edit on 14-9-2018 by Middleoftheroad because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: CrawlingChaos

The utility companies should charge for using their poles. But this is not changing the internet provider using the poles, its charging the website being streamed on the poles.
Just plain wrong in my opinion.

As for sales tax. I live close to the Ohio state line and have bought several cars in ohio.
I dont remember the details but I think my sales tax went to my state of Indiana and not ohio.
Not totally sure cuz that was 5 years ago.
I do know i didn't pay tax to both states.

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Springfield ran a big time film out of town by doing stuff like this!

Puffy Pants tax indeed!

edit on 9142018 by Butterfinger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: CrawlingChaos
In my area of Missouri, the Utility companies own the poles. To be specific the Electrical Utility. Everyone else pays a fee to them and they pass it to me in my bill.

But this doesn't surprise me, municipalities all over the state are starting to pull this #. For example my town passed an ordinance stating ; If I buy a car out of state, I still owe sales tax to the city.... I don't understand how that's legal.

EDIT: Not only this the State it'self is contemplating a special fuel tax for smart cars & electric vehicles... Why ? Because they are not paying their "fair share" of the MO. fuel tax that regular car owners pay. Of course Obama care has set a precidence for taxing activities and behaviors you didn't engage in.

Same snip in PA! I always try to buy from businesses who operate in my state. I roll my own, and used to buy my tobacco from that company located in PA. Our wonderful governor and his cronies decided to tax the snip out of tobacco products, so now I buy my tobacco from Virginia!

How freakin stupid are these so called educated idiots?
edit on 14-9-2018 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-9-2018 by seeker1963 because: spelling as usual

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Let's hope that Wolfe loses in November. I live a bit North of Pittsburgh.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   
The law in question taxes companies that use publicly maintained infrastructure, like the electrical grid, to deliver their services.

In the case of Netflix, the tax applies to the ISP because that who is providing the internet service. Netflix is what the user is choosing to do with that internet service, the service that has already been subject to the tax.

Charging Netflix, Hulu, or any other streaming service a tax would be double dipping.

If this case were to be ruled in favor of the state, the state could come back and theoretically tax youtube, facebook, or any other website that users stream videos from. They could start taxing XBox Live, PSN, MMORPG's, the list goes on.

Missouri's government does not manage the funds they do have correctly, giving them any more money would just line the coffers of the already corrupt politicians in that state.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
The whole lawsuit comes down to the courts interpretation of "video service"

Welcome to every lawsuit ever. It all depends on how it's legally defined.

posted on Sep, 16 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: angrypsycho1977
The law in question taxes companies that use publicly maintained infrastructure, like the electrical grid, to deliver their services.

In the case of Netflix, the tax applies to the ISP because that who is providing the internet service. Netflix is what the user is choosing to do with that internet service, the service that has already been subject to the tax.

Charging Netflix, Hulu, or any other streaming service a tax would be double dipping.

If this case were to be ruled in favor of the state, the state could come back and theoretically tax youtube, facebook, or any other website that users stream videos from. They could start taxing XBox Live, PSN, MMORPG's, the list goes on.

Missouri's government does not manage the funds they do have correctly, giving them any more money would just line the coffers of the already corrupt politicians in that state.

I agree not to mention you’re already paying taxes and the likes to your ISP, the ISP is the gate keeper everything upstream of that shouldn’t be taxable this is ridiculous.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join