It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cowboy Beans! It's what's for Supper!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: whywhynot

I immediately thought of that clip when I saw the title lol.

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Here's the problem most people have making beans...they make way too much! It's not their fault!!

Beans at the store generally come in 1lb 4oz packages and so people make the whole package. This is a HUGE amount of beans, way too much for even a family of 4 or more. One trick I use is to cut the beans in half (or more). A good serving for 4 is 1/2 of a package of beans, for two even less.

I made my weekly mess of beans yesterday. I usually fix about 2 pounds. That's enough for me to last about a week. But I'm getting ready to go out of town, so I made the whole 4 pound bag this time. I figure I'll freeze some in small freezer containers to make it easier to carry.

Well, this time, I decided to keep track of all my ingredients so I could write up a recipe. Compared to your culinary masterpiece, my recipe is primitive. Sort of like comparing Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa with a Kindergartner's stick figures. But, I'm the only one that has to be satisfied. So, as long as they're cooked and don't taste like sh*t, I can eat them.

Anyway, those 4 pounds of dried pinto beans cooked up to about 3 gallons of fart-inducing heaven!

I always "look" my beans for rocks, hulls, bugs and such before I put them on. It's not absolutely necessary, but I learned to do this from the Old Folks. Then again, I buy the absolutely cheapest ingredients I can find.

I also either soak, or parboil my beans before I cook them. Softens them up and gives them a smooth texture. I'm a little strange, but a consistent texture is more important to me than taste.

Thanks for another excellent recipe!

-dex

posted on Sep, 3 2018 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
Yeah, it could be perceived as soap I suppose, soap mixed with toe jam.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join