It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Out of these Playstation 1 RPG's

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darkblade71
a reply to: watchandwait410

Final Fantasy 9 was my favorite.

Final Fantasy 7 was groundbreaking though in several ways,
so it gets honorable 2nd.

I'm still waiting for the FF VII Remake...
and will probably be waiting for years...

9 was all around fun. I never looked at FF's black mages the same ever again...lol

At this point for the ff7 remake I hope they just wait and put it on the next gen playstation, I feel it is to late and I wouldn't mind 2 more years if it looks incredible.

In ff9 I was sad about Vivi.

posted on Aug, 30 2018 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Final fantasy 7 will always be my first love. That was my first rpg and while there are others that are great ff7 will always have a special place in my heart.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 12:38 AM
link   
7 for the story, 8 because the graphics really picked up (and triple triad is awesome), 9 would have impressed me more, had they gone for a cooler lead role.

X and x-2 were good also, but I don't like where FF has been going. I miss the turn based system and I'm already worried about what they're doing to the FF7 remake.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 02:31 AM
link   
FF7 for me was my first real RPG, I got hooked big time and spent hours (months probably) just grinding and grinding and grinding for exp or to level materia.

First ever hit of 9999 is always a satisfying event,

Did anyone else decide it would be a good idea to try and beat the ruby and emerald weapons? Maxing our Knights of the Round materia to duplicate it, combos with Quad magic and still getting an ass whipping.

I played all the FF games and loved them until around FF14 when they started to feel more like a button masher. Can’t remember if it was FF12 or 13 where you could fight Omega Weapon. That took weeks and the fight lasted nearly 24 hours. The prize was the best sword in the game and literally nothing left to try it on!

Really lost interest with the online MMORPG version, didn’t have time to commit so guild side was impossible and solo play was limited.

I did get the latest one but never played it - no work today so might give it a go!

edit on 31-8-2018 by DrBobH because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

Ya materia was an awesome system.

Fav summons:

Knights of the round
Bahamut
Bahamut zero

posted on Sep, 1 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Final Fantasy 7

Reason.

Just the perfect JRPG for me. Simple as that.

Huge game, lots of content. Lots of hidden content you had to search for.
Beautiful design and aesthetics and pretty deep story.

When I finished the game I had every character equipped with maxed out Knights of the Round with full multipliers in every slot.

I'd have all characters attack Sephiroth and walk away to make a coffee and grab a sandwich, maybe read a book.
Felt like it took a life time for the animations and round to finish lol.

For it's time the graphics were mind blowing. Summoning was EPIC for the time.
Never played a turned based RPG where the mates would happily sit on the couch watching you play for hours.
As their advertising tag line went, something about being a deer caught in the headlights.
Best way to describe it.

Had some really cool mini games to boot, like the motorbike combat section.

Until then there had been nothing like it.

Sadly none of the following FF games have felt like they captured and recreated that experience.
8 was okay, but not mind blowing. and from then on they just kind of devolved for me.
I think it was 9 that felt tedious as hell for me and I pretty much gave up after that.

Plus the series has massively changed, what was a fun single player experience has become a monthly sub game.
I prefer to buy my games outright without restriction and JRPG's are also one of the few genres I don't enjoy playing with others.
Occasionally I like to turn the internet off and just chill.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   

At the rate it is going, it probably will be the next gen of systems.
I was going to upgrade to the xbox 1 x until I learned that the next gen system is going to be coming out in 2019 or 2020.
I would rather wait for the next system.
I think I can get another year or two out of my xbox 1.

I think ff 12 was actually more enjoyable than most previous ff's personally.

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   
First RPG I ever played was Phantasy Star 2 on the Genesis

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 11:03 PM
link   

I like em all. Even now......Forza 7.....FIFA 18.....Diablo 3....ESO Morrowind.....No Mans Sky.....Destiny.

posted on Sep, 9 2018 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: LightAssassin

oh, and Raymans Legends....great platformer that I play with my six year old.

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 06:35 AM
link   

At the rate it is going, it probably will be the next gen of systems.
I was going to upgrade to the xbox 1 x until I learned that the next gen system is going to be coming out in 2019 or 2020.
I would rather wait for the next system.
I think I can get another year or two out of my xbox 1.

I think ff 12 was actually more enjoyable than most previous ff's personally.

Simple solution, join the PC Masterrace and never look back!

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

Already did.

Still like the consoles too,
but I am realizing that my PC is way better...lol

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   

a reply to: BigDave-AR

Already did.

Still like the consoles too,
but I am realizing that my PC is way better...lol

Good man! I hardly touch my consoles anymore especially since I have an Nvidia Shield portable to where I can play games streamed from my gaming rig portably anywhere in the house at 720p on a small screen that says plenty high DPI and makes an awesome setup. Also have my GTX 1070 powered MSI Gaming laptop for when I’m on the road.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 09:32 PM
link   

I would have to say Xenogears by far. I think it had a lot to do with the story line. I'm a huge fan of the Xeno series in general. I still have yet to plat Xenosaga Episode III though. It's still super expensive even though it's now an older game! I never really got into the FF series at all for some reason, and I've never played Legend of Dragoon.

posted on Nov, 15 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   
FFVII was why I bought a PS1. VIII and IX were solid, but VII was genre defining.

I also used to play the hell out of King's Field II. I bought the game, hated it because of how quickly the stamina bar drained.
It was literally "Swing sword, block, then back peddle for 4 or 5 seconds while the meter recharges" not fun. Then I found the "infinite stamina" code on the PS1 Gameshark. It changes the game from a slog fest into what was then a ridiculously rare open world FPS RPG game.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Final Fantasy 7 was pretty much the first RPG that really kicked up the whole genre into high gear. It was a good game, and all those games on that list were good, and there are plenty more like Chronos Cross that were better.

But the truth is Xenogears even though it had subpar graphics, pretty much blew all those games out of the water.

The only let down is that they did rush it, and not as graphic high as it could have been or compared to games that were coming out then, but even with all that, it was hands down best RPG of that era by far. They tried to do the spin offs and they sucked pretty much. But if they ever do a remake, in PS4 or PS5 glory without all the content they cut out and rushed content. I am so buying that game again.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Oh man I must have played about 80% of the games on that list. Seems ages ago now, but still would say Xenogears would top them, or at least be in the top 3.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: annoyedpharmacist

Oh jebus h christ von christos. Look at that blocky gaming goodness. I always thought that sephiroth as the last boss was to easy, since from what I remember you can practically kill him with one or two "knight of the round" summons. I think the "Weapons" side bosses, took way more to down them.

But ya once upon of time, In a galaxy far far away, those little lego looking charcters on that screen were the pinnacle of gaming awesomeness.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join