It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patrick Stewart returns...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Apparently Patrick Stewart made an announcement at the Star Trek convention in Las Vegas that his character would be returning.

Looks like we will get more Star Trek when we need it most.

www.foxnews.com...

Stewart's surprise announcement was met with cheers and a standing ovation at the convention

I remember when William Shatner was on Star Trek in 1965, will be interesting to see this pick up again

EDIT: This appears to be a new Star Trek series, so nothing to do with Capt. Kirk or the Enterprise yet it still has come at a time those ideals are needed most
edit on 8/7/2018 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Sounds interesting.

If they put this on CBS all access / behind a pay wall, I will have to wait because I am not paying for a single show.

I have no problem waiting a few seasons, sign-up for one month or wait for freebie and binge watching everything in a few days and canceling right after.

edit on 7-8-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I love star trek and Patrick Stewart was great, but do we really want an 80 yr old stumbling around the galaxy?

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Or a chick named Michael with daddy issues?

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Patrick Stewart is no ordinary 80 year old. He just got married, smokes pot and is a genius and has been knighted by the Queen.

I am so excited to see him again. TNG was my all time favorite show. Patrick Stewart is my all time crush. Super pumped about this.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
I love star trek and Patrick Stewart was great, but do we really want an 80 yr old stumbling around the galaxy?

I've thinking it'll be an academy thing. More personality less action. Characters bopping in and out. Should work. He'll need a Boothby though.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I dont think I care for this star trek utopia.
That old fart is still planning flowers and not retired.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Hope fully we get a new Enterprise out of it. Also, I hope they use models for the ships instead of CGI, looks so much better.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I like the sentiment but I think it's gonna be another flop. Trek just doesn't have the magic it used to and hasn't since Roddenberry died. People need to realize it wasn't just the actors who played the characters who made it what it was. They played a BIG role but it was the people at the top (and Roddenberry) who made TNG what it was. There were things they wanted to do he didn't agree with and they didn't do them until he became to ill to argue with them. Finally when he was on his last legs you could already see the deterioration in the show and the beginning of the aimlessness that characterized the years after his death.

It just wasn't really Star Trek anymore. Rick Berman, I suspect, also had a lot to do with TNG being what it was. Everything Trek since the end of Voyager has been crap really. Generations and First Contact were the only decent TNG movies. Into Darkness was not too bad but as someone who grew up on Shatner and Nimoy, that cast just didn't do it for me.

DS9 was good (even great at times) but it was not the same as TNG. It was MUCH different. It was like Dick Cheney took over the entire Trek universe. LOL

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   
People bitched he was too old when TNG first aired. My older brother loves to point out nobody thought an older bald captain was going to last long -- who was going to relate to wrinkled and hairless? Now he's part of the foundation of the franchise.

FWIW, people said a black guy (Sisko) and a woman (Janeway) would be the death of the franchise, too. Didn't happen. I highly doubt Picard being 20 or 30 years older is going to impact his character any in this iteration. Stewart in general is a very solid actor, I doubt age is going to be much of a hindrance for him. THAT, I think, is just the fans' own aging experiences coming through, projecting their own junk on him. He'll wow y'all & make you feel older than him, just watch (literally & figuratively)

I just hope they give Dorn his due and work in Captain Worf somewhere, that man deserves a nod for the dedication at the very least!
Also, Captain Nog. If there's no Aron Eisenberg at some point, I'm going to be a little miffed. And Harry Kim should be a Lieutenant by then, right folks? Plenty of time to get promoted from Ensign, no?

originally posted by: infolurker
a reply to: JBurns

Sounds interesting.

If they put this on CBS all access / behind a pay wall, I will have to wait because I am not paying for a single show.

I have no problem waiting a few seasons, sign-up for one month or wait for freebie and binge watching everything in a few days and canceling right after.

If you're that against paying for it, there's other....eh...methods for watching.
edit on 8/7/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
People bitched he was too old when TNG first aired. My older brother loves to point out nobody thought an older bald captain was going to last long -- who was going to relate to wrinkled and hairless? Now he's part of the foundation of the franchise.

Well, it's also worth pointing out that many (maybe most) of the episodes of the first season of TNG did not give him much to work with. Regardless of how solid an actor he was, most of those stories were just not connecting with people like me. The worry was valid. That someone who was so very different from Kirk would not connect with the same audience.

On top of the extreme contrast between TOS and TNG, TNG REALLY struggled in the first two seasons. To this day I have a hard time watching them. Especially the first season. They FINALLY started connecting with episodes like Q Who. That was the first time I ever remember thinking TNG was going to get better. There were a few other OKish episodes in the first couple of seasons but for the most part, you could completely erase a lot of them from Trek history and most of the people who love TNG would not miss them.

FWIW, people said a black guy (Sisko) and a woman (Janeway) would be the death of the franchise, too. Didn't happen.

I don't remember it that way. I didn't have a problem with Sisko being black. I had a problem with Avery Brooks as Sisko. As good as DS9 was, Avery Brooks brought the whole thing down every single time he was onscreen. It wasn't because he was black. It was because he sucked as an actor. He was horribly overwrought. The man just couldn't act.

Janeway was excellent from day one. Absolutely no problem with a woman as a Trek captain. Makes perfect sense. The Trek audience was never that narrow minded, IMO. In fact, I didn't like Chakotay. Still don't. Nothing to do with any prejudice. I just didn't find him to be an interesting character.

Anyway, Voyager and DS9 weakened Trek in a different way. They were going in too many different directions at the same time. Voyager was closer to TNG than DS9 was but it was still a relatively weak series. Characters like Neelix made it harder to take it seriously than characters like Janeway.

I'm rewatching Voyager right now and every time I see Neelix it just makes my eyes bleed.
edit on 7-8-2018 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Forgiveness, but no jokes, every time I return between other writing, and I see this thread my eyes flash: "Patrick Swayze returns ...".

How morbid.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: halfoldman
Forgiveness, but no jokes, every time I return between other writing, and I see this thread my eyes flash: "Patrick Swayze returns ...".

How morbid.

Did you think you saw a ghost?

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders
Perhaps there's different ways of seeing a ghost.
But actually, yeah.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: JBurns
Apparently Patrick Stewart made an announcement at the Star Trek convention in Las Vegas that his character would be returning.

Looks like we will get more Star Trek when we need it most.

www.foxnews.com...

Stewart's surprise announcement was met with cheers and a standing ovation at the convention

I remember when William Shatner was on Star Trek in 1965, will be interesting to see this pick up again

EDIT: This appears to be a new Star Trek series, so nothing to do with Capt. Kirk or the Enterprise yet it still has come at a time those ideals are needed most

Ideals like universal health care and universal basic income that are cornerstones of society by Picard's time are most definitely needed now.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
Well, it's also worth pointing out that many (maybe most) of the episodes of the first season of TNG did not give him much to work with. Regardless of how solid an actor he was, most of those stories were just not connecting with people like me. The worry was valid. That someone who was so very different from Kirk would not connect with the same audience.

On top of the extreme contrast between TOS and TNG, TNG REALLY struggled in the first two seasons. To this day I have a hard time watching them. Especially the first season. They FINALLY started connecting with episodes like Q Who. That was the first time I ever remember thinking TNG was going to get better. There were a few other OKish episodes in the first couple of seasons but for the most part, you could completely erase a lot of them from Trek history and most of the people who love TNG would not miss them.

To be very blunt, the writing in the first 2 seasons was absolute s# and you know it. Even the best actors struggle with making s# writing into good scenes. When the writing got better, so did the episodes, it wasn't a failure on the cast's part there.

I don't remember it that way. I didn't have a problem with Sisko being black. I had a problem with Avery Brooks as Sisko. As good as DS9 was, Avery Brooks brought the whole thing down every single time he was onscreen. It wasn't because he was black. It was because he sucked as an actor. He was horribly overwrought. The man just couldn't act.

I completely disagree, he's a very good actor and I don't think anybody else would have been able to put as much soul into Sisko as he did. What they did wrong in DS9 was making the Space Jesus arc, that's where his steady grasp of the character started to waiver a bit. Just IMO.

Janeway was excellent from day one. Absolutely no problem with a woman as a Trek captain. Makes perfect sense. The Trek audience was never that narrow minded, IMO. In fact, I didn't like Chakotay. Still don't. Nothing to do with any prejudice. I just didn't find him to be an interesting character.

The problem with Chakotay was he was a fan fav, but Beltran HATED the backstory, and wasn't allowed to tweak him in the same manner Micheal Dorn did with Worf (Worf was a joke in the beginning, seriously) I honestly think they screwed over the character a little here by not letting Robert Beltran put his spin on him, Chakotay had the potential to be a very deep character but ended up so superficial in backstory.

Anyway, Voyager and DS9 weakened Trek in a different way. They were going in too many different directions at the same time. Voyager was closer to TNG than DS9 was but it was still a relatively weak series. Characters like Neelix made it harder to take it seriously than characters like Janeway.

I liked Neelix better than Kes, lol. But he was definitely one of the characters in TV that nobody would have missed if he suddenly vanished from the series.

I'm rewatching Voyager right now and every time I see Neelix it just makes my eyes bleed.

Eh, for me its the Captain Proton episodes. Hated those. Of course I understood the idea that every series has it's trademark holodeck program and era, but that particular choice just sucked. Although I refuse to confirm or deny that I may have went one Halloween as Queen Arachnia.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
I completely disagree, he's a very good actor and I don't think anybody else would have been able to put as much soul into Sisko as he did.

Guess we'll have to just disagree there. I really enjoyed a lot of DS9 as long as he wasn't onscreen. To me, it's just too bad they didn't cast someone else. Lots of fine black actors in the world.

What they did wrong in DS9 was making the Space Jesus arc

Agree there. I didn't like that at all. I was a lot more interested in characters like Odo and Kira and of course, Worf. And the whole spy side story with Bashir and the Cardassians was excellent. Probably the best thing in DS9 when all was said and done. But Odo was one of the strongest characters in all Trek. Not too sure I really cared for the way his story eventually played out but he was just very good as a character.

I liked Neelix better than Kes, lol. But he was definitely one of the characters in TV that nobody would have missed if he suddenly vanished from the series.

That's funny. I liked Kes way better. Except for you had to believe that she would actually be in love with Neelix. That just wasn't plausible. LOL

top topics

join