It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reading Against Fascism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Published online on July 13, 2018 by Henry A. Giroux (a self-described 'public intellectual') the above article is about the importance of reading not only for knowledge but to increase our personal resilience to isolation in troubling times.

Mr. Giroux's articles are not easy reads. Each sentence is very deliberately constructed and intentionally not dumbed-down to an elementary school level of reading comprehension. The whole article is worth a read for those with the patience to read it with an open mind, looking up words at need, in other words with full attention.

I'll share a single sentence, for the attention challanged:

The pedagogical lesson here is that fascism begins with hateful words, the demonization of others considered disposable, and moves to an attack on ideas, the burning of books, the disappearance of intellectuals, and the emergence of the carceral state and the horrors of detention jails and camps.

I know there are some who will enjoy reading such prose, even if not agree on all points.

Oh how I want to quote more ... and will ... if anyone is interested.

truthout.org...

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Um, isnt Fascism a political system?

posted on Jul, 20 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Note the blank space:

The pedagogical lesson here is that ___________ begins with hateful words, the demonization of others considered disposable, and moves to an attack on ideas, the burning of books, the disappearance of intellectuals, and the emergence of the carceral state and the horrors of detention jails and camps.

In that space would fit perfectly: Fascism, Communism, Nazism, Racism, Islamism, Catholicism, Feminism, Gangsterism... or one might say 'politicized bigotry'... or perhaps us vs them obsessionism... but the word I would use is Tribalism.

edit on 20-7-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

new topics

join